Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

7 year olds 1st sit with dad :)

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I took Charlie to a spot that I thought would be slow but get some does by dark. I don’t wanna spoil little man & it was warm. Didn’t expect much. 5 minutes into sitting the small bucks came out. Then does. Then big bucks. Shot some does to have some fun & meat we can cook up. Didn’t push him to go but I am certain he had a great time!! He was ranging em while dad started dropping em! Went out again tonight & didn’t shoot. Both nights had good bucks but- long story- I just wanna start with few does, maybe a fun hunt with no kills & sometime we go after a buck. 1st Time ever taking my own kids hunting. He was really interested & excited. That makes dad happy. ;).
e43ddcfe5b1d9000a8c0dd88ad28b1a6.jpg
d1b0089c8a1fc97833bfe744b1641ce3.jpg

e7592dde4d06a4f42860f7caa2c7cf4e.jpg
81bb0ccdb1b82267b74c84f4d94f473d.jpg

dd262315089528bdc7a84c00ce8f4cc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Great job Skip! Looks like fun but dont forget to make him suffer a bit... Sit him on the ground in ratty army surplus clothes on a bitter cold morning

Little guy sure looks intrigued. Before you know it you will be ranging deer for him and those will be the most memorable hunts of your life.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Good work dad! It can be a hassle to take them with at times, but I've never once regretted it yet. Even if it spoils "my time" and I can't go to a spot that I really want to, it's well worth it. There will be plenty of to hunt alone and in the correct stands after they are all out of the house.

Good work dad! It can be a hassle to take them with at times, but I've never once regretted it yet. Even if it spoils "my time" and I can't go to a spot that I really want to, it's well worth it. There will be plenty of to hunt alone and in the correct stands after they are all out of the house.

I totally agree with you that I have never regretted taking my boys with me...but...I think you may be in for a surprise when the time comes for you to hunt the "correct" stands in peace. You just might find that Jr. has his eyes on the same stand! :) Oh well...it's still all good.

I can't wait for above!!!! So.... This is the weird part of my personality many of my buddies in the past never understood.... I'd gladly give up my best stand to my family. I can't wait or would love it if my boy got so hooked that he wanted to chase "the giant" that's the biggest of the year. I get more excited when my family (bros) shoot them vs myself & I've been like that since I started hunting. It's weird. Maybe it's cause no one else hunted in my family & I got my brothers into it.

There will be that fine line.... When my boy is starting, I want him to "suffer" to a healthy degree ;).... I went days & days without seeing a single deer in MI - froze to the bone & I was hooked like a Junky! Kids need to experience the difficult times, learning & some harder lessons. BUT- absolutely, if I had one magic wish, I'd absolutely LOVE it if my boy had that crazed passion to say "dad, I wanna hunt for the Big boy, here's where I wanna go, here's what I did, here's the tactics, here's the work I put in, I wanna go hunt that spot for MR BIG". Be a little dream come true for dad! :)
This is how hooked he is so far.... Wednesday is early out at school. Picking him up and going right out hunting. He's stoked!!! I can't wait.

I can't wait for above!!!! So.... This is the weird part of my personality many of my buddies in the past never understood.... I'd gladly give up my best stand to my family. I can't wait or would love it if my boy got so hooked that he wanted to chase "the giant" that's the biggest of the year. I get more excited when my family (bros) shoot them vs myself & I've been like that since I started hunting. It's weird. Maybe it's cause no one else hunted in my family & I got my brothers into it.

There will be that fine line.... When my boy is starting, I want him to "suffer" to a healthy degree ;).... I went days & days without seeing a single deer in MI - froze to the bone & I was hooked like a Junky! Kids need to experience the difficult times, learning & some harder lessons. BUT- absolutely, if I had one magic wish, I'd absolutely LOVE it if my boy had that crazed passion to say "dad, I wanna hunt for the Big boy, here's where I wanna go, here's what I did, here's the tactics, here's the work I put in, I wanna go hunt that spot for MR BIG". Be a little dream come true for dad! :)
This is how hooked he is so far.... Wednesday is early out at school. Picking him up and going right out hunting. He's stoked!!! I can't wait.

I totally understand...one of the great joys of my life was spending so much time with my boys outdoors as they grew up. Now they are 23 and 26 and we still have super, wonderful times together, whether it be hunting or anything else. It is well understood in our family how much I value those times together and related to that, my oldest son and his wife gave me a present for my birthday a month ago...the present?? A weekend together at our farm for all of us...best gift ever!

FWIW, I would not let our boys shoot anything until they had helped prepare for the hunt by planning, strategizing, putting blinds together, etc. I think that is a good plan for them to "suffer" a little too. :) Success is sweeter when it is earned!

I see you, and others here on IW too, developing that type of relationship with your family and the land that you enjoy together. Good stuff!!

Skip everyone on here knows you don’t hunt turkeys :rolleyes: I can see this happening.... Charlie wants to hunt turkeys next year and you take him on a thunder chicken hunt!?! You will be in the turkey contest cause now you’ll be hooked ;)
Taking my kids hunting definitely was the High Light of my hunting career!

Very awesome! Good approach not to coddle him too much, that kiddo will as appreciate it more if he has to earn it. My guess is that the apple won't fall far from the tree.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Good stuff. I haven't taken my kiddos yet, but hopefully one of these years. The other night when I got back from hunting, one of them said "when I'm grown up, I can go huntin' with you". Tearing up as I type!

Top Bottom