Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Daughter's first

BJohnson

This year was the first year hunting for my daughter Haley. She completed her hunters safety online in Nov and decided to go late season with the CVA muzzy. She sighted in the gun over Thanksgiving and was solid at 65 yards. Yesterday afternoon was her fifth hunt and last available weekend. Since her first hunt on 12/22, Haley had passed numerous shots in range at does and one nice 2 yr old ten pt , hoping for a chance at a more mature buck. This weekend she decided she was going to take an adult doe if the shot was presented to her. We got set up at our farm in so IA by 2:30 yesterday. Temps were a balmy 57 degrees but I felt like we still had a decent chance due to the brassicas in front of the blind I had built this past summer. Movement started later than normal but she was given a solid 50-55 yrd shot at last light and made it count. The doe made it 30 yrds off the plot and was down.

I was actually more proud of what Haley didn't do vs what she did do during her first season. It was her choice to pass that nice 2 yr old ten and she almost didn't shoot yesterday either due to poor shot angles on the first group of does who came out. I could sense the disappointment when the first group got jumpy and ran off due to noise from the across the road. When I asked how the shot opportunities had felt, she stated she just didn't feel comfortable with the angles. It was a great chance for me to confirm to her that she had made the right choice, rushed shots are usually poor shots.

She eventually got a solid broadside shot and the result was a quick harvest.
c446e887f7bacd606d26eb2ef6ff6cc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats, great shot!
learning when not to shoot is something not everyone understands. It's good to see ethics being passed on.

Great job Haley! Lots of good lessons on how to wait for a good shot on the deer you want. It was exciting to get that picture last night. Nice work Dad - nothing like being along for that first harvest.

Nice job Haley, you have great hunting ethics. I'm sure dad has something to do with that and certainly proud of you.

Always fun to share the time with a new hunter and see them put down a deer! Congrats buddy!!!

Top Bottom