Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alaska trip planned

Hawk32

PMA Member
My wife and I along with another couple just booked a trip to Alaska. Flying into Anchorage and planning on staying in Homer and Seward. Anyone have any suggestions on fishing guides, flight tours, or anything else we should try and do. I hate vacations but I'm pretty jacked about this one. lol

First of all what time of the year are you planning to be there? I have gone there almost every year since 1989, although I have relation there and fish with family on the Kenai River and Cook Inlet for halibut and salmon. A couple of charters that are very reputable are Driftwood Charters out of Homer and Crazy Ray’s out of Whittier that offer combo trips. Crazy Ray’s even offers a shrimping trip out of Whittier and those spot shrimp from 600’ of water that is 48 degrees are very good to eat. It is beautiful and the weather can be very unpredictable.

What time of year? Certain salmon come at certain times, I believe the king salmon come into the rivers in July. I'd look for salmon fishing on the Kenai river, and halibut in Homer. I'd take a trip to Denali too just to see how awesome it is. I love it up there, I didn't want to come home.

Crackerjack out of Seward. Plan on a six pack for a boat. In other words a possible 6 person size boat. Most don't have that many on them. Seward is known for silver salmon and halibut. The silvers run in Aug. and first part of Sept. Would be good to book at least two days on the ocean. Love Alaska.

Thanks guys. Pretty sure going fishing out of Seward. Need to look more into river fishing for salmon. Not sure on doing a guide for that or not.

You will have a great time no matter what you do. If you have your dates set then you are committed to the fishing at that time. The saltwater fishing is pretty simple and doesn’t change greatly through out the summer. What does change is the tides. That area which a lot of it is in Cook Inlet get large tidal swings the smaller the tide, and the longer the slack the longer you can fish resonably. Fishing out of Anchor point on the slack we can jig with 1-1.5 pound jigs. When the tide changes and the tide starts to rip we can’t hold the bottom with a 4 pound sinker.
The salmon are a much harder target to hit. Timing is everything. The regulations are very confusing rivers open and close due to the numbers of fish that make it up river. King salmon or Chinook as they are called in the Midwest are highly regulated and mostly are closed to fishing once they enter the fresh water. In the salt they can be caught trolling but the limit is one per season and you may need a special stamp. Silvers or cohos really come in very late July or early August are easy to catch and fight well. Sockeye or Red salmon are the best eating but really don’t bite they are caught by a convoluted of basicly snagging in the mouth.

Also remember you are on the road system so good fishing spots will have a lot of people. If you decide to fish on your own with out a guide go to either Ship Creek right in Anchorage and just watch from the bridge. By observing from above you. Can see what works and whAt doesn’t. The Lagoon in homer is a great place to try you hand at salmon but always fish the tides. We did really well at the Lagoon last July for silvers. I guided in AK for 10 years and still go every summer.

Hans. thanks for all that info. Any info on helicopter or plane tours. Looked at some online but they all look good on. website.

Top Bottom