Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question for the older Iowa Residents

Diggdug

What was the first year that Iowa allowed non-resident deer hunting and what were timber prices before this happened? I bought my ground in 2012 and now I'm told it could be worth double what I paid. I remember the first time I went to Iowa in 2003 there was Timber ground for sale for as low as $800 an acre that is now $3500-$4000 an acre...

Thanks!

I don't know the date they allowed non-resident hunting in Iowa, but in the mid 80's I had a chance to purchase rough bottom ground in Decatur county for $80.00 an acre and decided not to since I had access to plenty of ground then and was chasing pheasant's and quail more the deer also at that time.

I don't know the date they allowed non-resident hunting in Iowa, but in the mid 80's I had a chance to purchase rough bottom ground in Decatur county for $80.00 an acre and decided not to since I had access to plenty of ground then and was chasing pheasant's and quail more the deer also at that time.
Damn....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think it was before 2004. I know I had a farm in Lucas County Iowa as a NR in 02 I think?

I bought my first NR pref point in 04, and was drawn for zone 5 in 2005. So it had to be before that.....

Yes I was off 10 years :rolleyes:
In 97 a couple NR came and hunted with us and at that time they didn’t need any points to come and hunt but the next year that changed and they didn’t draw. New answer 95-96:)

OK, so mid 90's. That's about what I thought. When I was there in 2003 for Barry Wensels Whitetail Bootcamp, there were several people in class who had already hunted as non-res. Wensels had been hosting hunts for at least a couple of years. There was a local guy in class with us that mentioned that "The hot blonde from the hunting add had just bought some property nearby" LOL!

At one point you didn't need points, and when they first came out they were $10, now they're $50 +fees.

Since applying in 04 for the first time, I have been able to hunt zone 5 , four times now. 2005 was first tag, and 2018 most recent.

OK, so mid 90's. That's about what I thought. When I was there in 2003 for Barry Wensels Whitetail Bootcamp, there were several people in class who had already hunted as non-res. Wensels had been hosting hunts for at least a couple of years. There was a local guy in class with us that mentioned that "The hot blonde from the hunting add had just bought some property nearby" LOL!

Please don’t tell Flounder about my first post....... he’ll want to test my brain for prions:D

Aarrghh! ^^ Similarly, back in the day, late 90's, I had a chance to buy about 240 acres for $30K and didn't do it. There wasn't any income on it and a lot of the land had been enrolled in WRP, so you would have been restricted on what you could do to it, etc. But still! I suspect that same place would sell for 20x that today.

Otherwise, in the early and mid-90's there was still all kinds of recreational farms sold for $250'ish an acre. I remember seeing ads for some that were $190/acre, I just don't remember the years exactly. By the time I was able to buy my place in either 2000 or 2001, many places in Van Buren and Davis County were going for $1100'ish an acre. So things essentially quintupled in 5 or 6 years in that area anyway. Now...I bet I could get $3500/acre for mine. If only I would have bought a few years earlier!!!! I could have bought 2-5 times as much land!! But truly, I am very thankful to have what I have.

The nice thing about mortgage payments, they stay the same for 25-30 years. Unaffected by inflation....

The first farm I looked at in Iowa in the late 90s, was $650 an acre, half timber and half CRP, on the Decatur/Ringgold line.

hunted Iowa for the first time in 2008 shortly after college as a non-resident. I vividly remember sitting in the Dairy Queen in Leon looking at land prices in the local news paper wishing I had some money. Same farms today... 2-4 times the amount. You can play that game all day long. The reality is a few decades down the road people will be having the same conversations about prices you are seeing right now thinking they are cheap.

Top Bottom