Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Timber Stand Improvment

BLACK LOCUST.... I'd treat with anything like Garlon, Tordon, 2,4-D, Gly concentrate. ASAP. Those rascals have tendency to bounce back & sprout up like crazy.

BLACK LOCUST.... I'd treat with anything like Garlon, Tordon, 2,4-D, Gly concentrate. ASAP. Those rascals have tendency to bounce back & sprout up like crazy.

Who carries Garlon? Or these other chemicals? I see them on Amazon but wasn’t sure if I can buy them locally? I’d like a herbicide that will kill trees without affecting other tree roots, as well as killing poison ivy vines. And when using, do you mix with diesel? Only experience I have is using roundup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Garlon is best as it does translocate as bad as tordon. But- done right- any are fine. Just use common sense & it’s a non issue. Go to any farm store or coop. Tordon RTU (ready to use) is on shelf. Might cut it again & put in cut. Or use Gly & lil diesel &/2,4-d Which is at any farm or even hardware store. All are readily available all over. If u wanted go online- go to forestry suppliers. But- ur local farm store should have stuff.

Garlon is best as it does translocate as bad as tordon. But- done right- any are fine. Just use common sense & it’s a non issue. Go to any farm store or coop. Tordon RTU (ready to use) is on shelf. Might cut it again & put in cut. Or use Gly & lil diesel &/2,4-d Which is at any farm or even hardware store. All are readily available all over. If u wanted go online- go to forestry suppliers. But- ur local farm store should have stuff.

Thanks Skip. Appreciate that help.

Only one I have seen

This amazes me you only saw one and it was a large one! We have 1000s on our place. From 1' tall twigs to 12"+ diameter big mamas. They're awful but wildlife seem to like them... of course on our place their options are limited on trees for cover so I guess they got to learn to like them. haha

This amazes me you only saw one and it was a large one! We have 1000s on our place. From 1' tall twigs to 12"+ diameter big mamas. They're awful but wildlife seem to like them... of course on our place their options are limited on trees for cover so I guess they got to learn to like them. haha
I agree with two main words. They’re aweful.

Quick story for you. Someone did a bunch of TSI at my new place maybe 4-5 years ago; I've only been here 6 months. For the most part they did a decent job. HOWEVER, they girdled a bunch of larger locust trees and did not treat them. Its an absolute mess. It probably sent up 100 times more sprouts than there was trees to begin with. So what started out as someone's good intentions turned out to be completely counter productive and my mess to clean up.

Quick story for you. Someone did a bunch of TSI at my new place maybe 4-5 years ago; I've only been here 6 months. For the most part they did a decent job. HOWEVER, they girdled a bunch of larger locust trees and did not treat them. Its an absolute mess. It probably sent up 100 times more sprouts than there was trees to begin with. So what started out as someone's good intentions turned out to be completely counter productive and my mess to clean up.

That is not the first time I have heard, or seen that. ^^ You really have to kill those locusts, not just girdle them. But as Skip indicated, be cautious about the choice of chemical to accomplish this so you don't kill nearby desirable trees...through overlapping roots underground that "translocate" the killing chemical to your good trees too.

Owners before me just used the place to run four wheelers. I’m guessing they worked hard keeping them under control as those thorns would destroy tires fast. I’m going to re-cut and apply tordon to it this weekend. I want it very dead.

Got that locust girdled again fresh below the others and filled the cut with Tordon. Then went after poison ivy and wild grape vines with crossbow. Found marking dye in that. The blue sure makes it easy to tell where I’ve been. Fun day. Can’t wait to meet with the forester and really get going.

Last weekend I was out to fix a gate on my place. While there I double girdled a black locust that is roughly 10-12 inch diameter. Only one I have seen and wanted it dead. Will that do the job or should I also be using a herbicide?

If you know about that turns wood they'd probably like to have some of that, just a thought.

I’ve turned some of it into firewood. If you can deal with the thorns, burns pretty good.

Gotcha. You said turns. I thought you meant woodworking type turning. Burns makes sense. . My dad has a lathe and turns stuff so I asked.

email from my PLC today on area of black locust
"
Hi Joe,

The pink and yellow are what I got marked. I only did a portion of what is in yellow because there are a lot of black locusts in there. We really do not have good luck killing black locusts when we do TSI so I usually avoid them. I marked part of the area (in the center) that has fewer black locusts. We can do a good job killing the standing tree, and for whatever reason, sometimes we do get them killed. However, usually stump sprouts will come on with a vengeance after killing the tops. If your main goal is to provide bedding cover, you could go ahead and do what I’ve got marked, + go through and kill all the black locusts in the rest of it. If your goal is future timber management, I’d MAYBE do the part I marked, and not mess with the rest of it. The pink area is marked pretty good. There was still snow covering one side of most trees so they are marked only where there was no snow covering the trunk. There were several ironwood trees on the north side and I marked a lot of them, but did not get them all. It would be good to learn what ironwood looks like, and kill them all as you do the thinning. There are also several redbud trees, which are good, but they are the only thing you may confuse with ironwood.

It’s looking like getting MDC funding for projects is going to be very tough from here forward, so if you want to try and get funding for these projects in the future, we should start working toward getting a forest management plan completed and you can work through NRCS for funding. They will not be able to pay for what you do this year, but you’ve got quite a few more acres you can do in the future if you want."

Gotcha. You said turns. I thought you meant woodworking type turning. Burns makes sense. . My dad has a lathe and turns stuff so I asked.

SB3 might have meant turn on lathe, I don’t know. From my experience with a wood lathe, would definitely want to make sure the wood was well dried to avoid cracking of the finished project.

SB3 might have meant turn on lathe, I don’t know. From my experience with a wood lathe, would definitely want to make sure the wood was well dried to avoid cracking of the finished project.

Sorry. Got lost as to who said what. Yeah, I’ll burn it eventually just to get rid of the thorns. Hate those things.

So black locust & honey/thorny locust r two different trees. Both give impression of “aggressive” & faster growing & take over. Black locust is more persistent & can form a colony or grove & that’s about the only tree species growing there. Black locust is straight & dark in color - some planted years ago in groves to use for posts, etc. small pods. More of a “ribbed” bark.
honey locust has massive thorns & pods. Will see em all over in cattle pastures for example. Shorter lived tree. Thorns are evil. Honey locust has a lil value as deer like pods. If I could magically have only one locust on my ground- be the “thornless” honey locust that is bred for landscaping as it’s a fast growing tree with no thorns but still has big pods. I’ll see if I can quick post some pics of all....

Black locust:
7cf221ee6e5cd5630e04a0d02c949c7c.jpg

Thorny honey locust:
aa4d732b9ba5a91f3f4c40d9252b88ae.jpg

Thornless honey locust:
62adc132b0e155c67bd538f04d436350.jpg

I have both black and honey, there is about a 1/2 acre spot where the blacks have pretty much dominated. I don't think or at least haven't noticed the thorn-less honeys on my farm.

U won’t notice thornless. Unless u find where folks planted them. I’ve collected some seed from them when they have been planted for a fast growing tree for landscaping that thrives on most soil types. Black locust- like u said - dominates whatever area it grows in. It reproduces quickly & grows quickly. I am not certain but I would not be surprised if it was a type of tree that put out a toxin to kill other trees (kind of like walnut does) & was very potent.
I’m going to butcher a patch of this TODAY & treat it. Convert it to another type of tree with enough time. Gonna be an ongoing battle. I’ll snap some pics today.

Top Bottom