Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

If deer & deer hunting disappeared what would you do?

More turkeys than now and I’d knock the rust off the trapping equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would focus all my efforts into Bobcat habitat and food sources, might take a few years but I think that would fill the void for me.

I've pheasant hunted some the last two years and have enjoyed it and love watching my dog. I'd be bird hunting and probably do a lot more fishing.

Get another shorthair and bird hunt a lot more than I do now. Possibly move out west. Can’t really fathom the possibility of never deer hunting again

I might finally take the time to try and meet a few guys from here that seem interesting....although I think Daver may just be a bot.

I hate this thread....gives me night mares....I mean what would we talk about...."hey Jerry, hows the kids? Investments doing good? Lawn looks great! Those hanging baskets are really blooming!" Jerry IDGAF!!!!!! I want to know how the cams are looking? Any new deer showing up? Food plots do well?.....

I dont even know how to have a normal conversation with people that does revolve around hunting whitetails....

I would first explain to my wife who I am and why I am home on a weekend and most evenings........she would certainly be confused

and then I would certainly become an out of state western hunter. With the amount of money I spend each year for deer hunting from stands, blinds, travel, batteries for cameras, time, food, etc- i could save up and do an over seas hunt every few years as well. Would be a life changer for sure if deer disappeared in iowa, but I would adapt and find something else to obsess over while crying inside constantly as if the bears just missed another field goal off the upright for the playoff win :(

This thread made me realize something I had not pondered previously. Western hunters have a huge stake in CWD happenings in the Midwest. If the Midwest turns to shit, there will be more people hunting other things out west, likely putting more pressure on critters out there.... (yes limited draw areas in many spots so those go relatively unaffected )

On the business side it would be a relief I think.. then the madness would stop..... on the way of life of being a bow hunter life would SUCK

I would buy up as much depreciated rec land as possible and manage exclusively for quail! Deer/no deer, I am really getting the bug to hunt and fish other species, using different methods, outside of the midwest. But it is hard to imagine the day where having several deer in the freezer any given year is no longer the norm and I would guess that that reality would hit me harder than I hypothetically presume it would.

Like that quote from Sitting Bull suggests, most of us would find something to hunt, myself included.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Here's something to think about. When I started fishing in the ocean, I could catch unlimited cod. They were everywhere, and big ones too. Boatloads of cod were wasted all the time. If a commercial netter didn't like the size of his haul, it would get dumped back, everything dead. Little by little , technology got better. People got greedier.

Then they put a limit of 10 cod a person. This was only 10 years ago. It was too late, the cod were in trouble.

Now, the last few years, there is NOW ZERO COD possession. You all have heard of Cape Cod , Massachusetts right? The great codfish that shaped early history here ? Guess what? There is no cod fishing for the common man anymore. You can't keep a cod in Cape Cod anymore, or in the whole Gulf of Maine.

I would have never thought a day would come in my lifetime where I couldn't cod fish. That day is now.....

So if your replying to this thread, halfway laughing at the thought of no deer hunting...….Just be aware, it could happen...

No kidding. You are right on Spysar. My Dad told me stories of his childhood when if some one saw a deer it was big news. Those days could easily come back again.

No kidding. You are right on Spysar. My Dad told me stories of his childhood when if some one saw a deer it was big news. Those days could easily come back again.

Although I am not predicting a return to this...I am old enough to remember hunting in IOWA where you could easily hunt for several days and see NO deer, or very, very few. Granted, we sucked as hunters back then, but still. :)

This thread made me realize something I had not pondered previously. Western hunters have a huge stake in CWD happenings in the Midwest. If the Midwest turns to shit, there will be more people hunting other things out west, likely putting more pressure on critters out there.... (yes limited draw areas in many spots so those go relatively unaffected )
I have been thinking of this when I read the posts about hunting deer or elk out west. CWD is out west already so of our Iowa deer demise is from CWD, unfortunately heading west may not be an option either.

Top Bottom