Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Weather impact?

loneranger

For. Once in a long time Weather may impact wild life including deer. Combination of deep snow and cold . Deer will be burnin that fat. Remains to be seen how long it lasts. Usually not long in southern Iowa. I remember reading about stress on deer in N Michigan. DNR said if deer made it through Dec with minimal weather stress they would do well through the rest of the winter And winters hang on up there... Dec in Iowa was mild this season. Stll something to watch

There will be some impact but they are very resourceful. Buck can lose 30% of their body weight during the rut making them susceptible to severe weather that last several weeks.

The worst year here in PA was 1994 when we had extreme weather most of the winter. Started with freezing rain and sleet mid December, snow that melted and froze on top of that leaving the acorns frozen in 2 + inches of ice. Then it snowed and snowed most of the winter accumulating to several feet over the winter. The coldest day near the end of January was -23 degrees and the snow didn't all melt until the 1st week in April.

I too was concerned about the impact of the deer heard and hauled some corn and barley out on a sled a couple times careful not to put much out at a time so they didn't over indulge which is not good for them. I couldn't wait till I could take a hike to look for sheds and see how the deer made out in the spring.

I found two areas that they yard-ed up in, both in pine areas. The one was pretty big and it looked like a barn yard for 60 yards around with droppings everywhere. The brush was browsed off for several yards encompassing the area. I found a couple yearlings on the outskirt that didn't make it. The I found a second yarding area that must have been a bachelor group. A couple dead button buck and the skull of a giant I was after that had already shed out. I looked for his sheds for weeks. I guess he was in the mid 180's plus but never found them. I did find a matched set in the 1st yarding area the 10th of April when I made a return search for sheds that wasn't there a week earlier.

Overall they did fairly well considering the conditions. Just be careful what and how much feed you put out at a time. I even dropped some cedar and trimmed some fruit trees for them, they loved that!

Deer, and most wildlife, are pretty hardy and will not suffer much if the tough conditions don't drag out for a long time. So far this has been an "easy" winter on wildlife and even if it toughens up for the next 2-3 weeks or so and then relaxes, they will be fine.

Deer, and most wildlife, are pretty hardy and will not suffer much if the tough conditions don't drag out for a long time. So far this has been an "easy" winter on wildlife and even if it toughens up for the next 2-3 weeks or so and then relaxes, they will be fine.
X2

Winter weather to hang on. More snow,,more artic cold. A good old fashioned Winter has come. animals will be burnin more fat then past years. I can't keep birds fed!

We have 18 inches on the ground now with freezing rain and another 6-8 inches coming today. I have been feeding corn since Christmas and in the last two weeks they have been hammering it. Feeding half a 5 gallon bucket every day, 10-15 bucks coming in every night and a bunch of does.

Yess sir,,A Winter pattern I have not seen since moving to Iowa/ SE Iowa seems to be the target too. This latest system was to bring less than a half in. Surprise 5 to 9 inches fell. My snow pack is reminding me of my life in N MI. to add to it Artic blasts. Next week they say maybe Record cold! this will definitely impact wildlife. My elders tell me of winters like this years ago so I guess we were overdo. Only plus we have this far south is the sun grows stronger by the day. An interesting winter to say the least!!

I've seen some crazy weather, but I am not sure I have seen an 80 degree swing in the same week. Low of -23 this morning with Sunday forecasted high of 55. That is just wild.

With how cold the ground is and snowpack doubt it makes 55. But 40 will feel like Spring! And even though the blast was Severe. It was short lived. I have read diaries from old Farmers that told of frigid Iowa winter s. That drug on for weeks

Here's one for ya.....pulled a guy out of a bottom field last night. Broke thru some ice and nothing but MUD below. Buried whole front end. Not froze under tundra.

Careful on throwing out corn. If u have corn fields around & they are used to eating it- no issue. If it’s new to them- it literally can kill them. Can explain if needed. Few guys on here put alfalfa out & was interesting seeing that. If a guy wanted to.... if u have junk trees, hinging or tsi to do- ASAP. Will put fresh buds on ground & they will eat it immediately. Most be fine unless stressed. I know a few guys lost cows so spose if bad enough- some deer on edge might not be doing well. Temps back up in few days at least.

Careful on throwing out corn. If u have corn fields around & they are used to eating it- no issue. If it’s new to them- it literally can kill them. Can explain if needed. Few guys on here put alfalfa out & was interesting seeing that. If a guy wanted to.... if u have junk trees, hinging or tsi to do- ASAP. Will put fresh buds on ground & they will eat it immediately. Most be fine unless stressed. I know a few guys lost cows so spose if bad enough- some deer on edge might not be doing well. Temps back up in few days at least.

I totally agree Skip. Their metabolism changes and can digest much grass, alfalfa which would do more harm then good. Grains in small amounts should be okay but Skip nailed the best way to help them in brutal weather by dropping or trimming trees and branches. I usually trim the fruit trees when it's like this and spread them out, they will be right on it devouring every bud, much better for them.

Their metabolism changes and can digest much grass, alfalfa which would do more harm then good.

Are you saying alfalfa is bad for their health this time of year as a supplemental feeding? I have not heard that before. Like Skip said corn is absolutely the worst thing for them for supplemental feeding if they havent' already been eating it.

I like your idea of pruning fruit trees now for them to chow on and will do that this weekend. I hinged a pile of hybrid willows and poplars last weekend and they were on them like flies on %$#.

Definitely agree that browse is really popular this time of the year. I once dropped a few trees and within 1-2 hours, in the daylight yet, there were deer in them. My scent and that of the chainsaw, etc, appeared not to be a factor for them when they are hungry and cold.

Definitely agree that browse is really popular this time of the year. I once dropped a few trees and within 1-2 hours, in the daylight yet, there were deer in them. My scent and that of the chainsaw, etc, appeared not to be a factor for them when they are hungry and cold.
yup. they are all over dropped trees. On top of that, I am finding new beds in snow amongst the trees the NEXT day after doing TSI work.

Here's a couple good articles relating to winter feeding. Stresses what some have mentioned thus far. I feed corn in small amounts, 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket every 3 days spread out so one bully doesn't gorge on it and do that until spring. I am in farm country so they're used to corn but never too much and on a schedule. Hay and alfalfa are not a good idea, but any feed they are not used to must be feed gradually in small amounts.

https://www.bonecollector.com/the-dos-and-donts-of-feeding-deer-this-winter/

http://www.deerfriendly.com/feeding-deer

Here's a couple good articles relating to winter feeding. Stresses what some have mentioned thus far. I feed corn in small amounts, 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket every 3 days spread out so one bully doesn't gorge on it and do that until spring. I am in farm country so they're used to corn but never too much and on a schedule. Hay and alfalfa are not a good idea, but any feed they are not used to must be feed gradually in small amounts.

https://www.bonecollector.com/the-dos-and-donts-of-feeding-deer-this-winter/

http://www.deerfriendly.com/feeding-deer
Maybe I am missing it.... I don't see any publication stating hay/alfalfa is bad. I am currently feeding it so would like to know more.

Secondly, I would take any articles written by any of the "buck on a bag" companies with a big grain of salt. They may have an agenda.....

The trick is to slowly introduce new food so the bacteria in the gut can adjust. Too much, too fast and you can cause problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom