Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pistol regualtions for deer hunting HF179

If I'm reading this correctly it seems they are trying to get rid of the AR pistol straight wall. If that's correct I'm all for this one

Striking the straight wall limitation so pistols chambering the 50 BMG with a shoulder stock would be legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm reading this correctly it seems they are trying to get rid of the AR pistol straight wall. If that's correct I'm all for this one

I am not sure what you mean by "get rid of" - not allow it or get rid of the restriction that disallows it now.

I read this change as any pistol, even with a shoulder stock, can be used in any caliber at least 357 with no restriction on it being a straightwall cartridge.

The way I read it, and remember I've been wrong before, is a pistol of at least 357 caliber shooting a shouldered cartridge with a shoulder stock will be legal to use.

Are there any calibers that are .357 or larger with a shouldered cartridge?

I am not sure what you mean by "get rid of" - not allow it or get rid of the restriction that disallows it now.

I read this change as any pistol, even with a shoulder stock, can be used in any caliber at least 357 with no restriction on it being a straightwall cartridge.

Exactly how I read it. So with this bill the 458 socom would be legal.

No, mm to inches, that is .255, smaller than .357

50 BMG works if one is man enough

Love it.

The only 'real life' new cartridge I see introduced here is 458 Socom...which isn't really much different than a 450 bushmaster...or even 50 Beowulf.

Who comes up with this stuff? How do they get legislation to look at it, add one type of round? What’s the point?

Thompson Center will build whatever you want in a pistol, this would open up the Nitro elephant rounds, again, if anybody was crazy enough. Doesn’t have to be AR platform the way I read it.

Thompson Center will build whatever you want in a pistol, this would open up the Nitro elephant rounds, again, if anybody was crazy enough. Doesn’t have to be AR platform the way I read it.

Correct.

I just don't see it as meaningful for anything except the Socom.

Representative Windschitl is the bill's sponsor. He is also responsible for straight wall and AR style pistols.

Link to his legislative page:

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=6282

If you have time and/or the desire go to this page, on the right side is Legislation. Under that is bills. Click on that and you can search for all the bills he has sponsored over the three terms he has been in the House. Some I really like, some I really don't. I wish the 2A folks and conservationists would work together. My right to keep and bear arms should not override the conservation of game animals. Just because I can own a radar guided, recoilless 75 caliber pistol rifle loaded with heat seeking rounds doesn't mean I should be able to use it to hunt.

Exactly why I'm not a legislator. I misread it and missed a line on my phone. I was hoping they were ridding the AR pistols with braces from the LM season

Last edited:
Well, our lawmakers are idiots, the wording in this document has some big errors in it.
A pistol cannot have a stock on it, a pistol can only have a brace on it. A stock on an AR with a barrel under 16" would be a short barreled rifle and not a pistol. It's a felony to have an SBR without a tax stamp or to have a barreled upper under 16" on a rifle lower without a tax stamp . A pistol lower has to be designated as such at time of purchase. They need to drop AR pistols completely just cuz too many guys will commit felonies and not even know it. I like the IFC, but I don't care for their efforts in this situation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom