Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Camper on Land

I was wondering if anybody on here has ever bought a camper to leave on hunting land permanently, and how you set it up. My wife and I bought some land in Southern IA to hunt/fish/camp and are going back and forth if we want a camper or a cabin. I think we are leaning towards a camper, in case we ever need to move it.

I was thinking the best course of action would be to level it on blocks and take the wheels off to prevent tire rot and potential theft. I don't know much at all about campers so was hoping to get some advice on how to do this, or if there is a better solution. I was also wondering if leaving a camper out in the woods all year would subject it to rodents and roof leakage, and what things could be done to avoid that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you can find a camper that will never leak and/or never get a mouse in it then IMO you will have found the first such apparatus in the universe. :) I used to have a camper before I was able to build a cabin and it was a constant battle...mice, water leaks/mold, etc. They are better than nothing, but if you can go the cabin route I think you will be WAY happier in the long run. Think about a cabin that is on skids, or small enough that you can move it if you want to, etc. That's my free advice. :)

In time the mice will have a hay day with a camper. It will be a never ending battle.

I did exactly what you are talking about for 4 years before I built my cabin. The camper was better than nothing, but that's about it. Asian beetles and flies would fill that thing in the fall, had a few mice + water eventually get in. I was constantly worried about keeping the water from freezing during hunting season. Once season was over I would winterize the camper, but that also meant no running water when we came down for shed hunting or other winter activity in the trees. If you have other people along, a camper gets really cramped really quick, especially with all the extra cold weather or hunting clothes along.
When I built my cabin, I did not go the primitive route. Running water, hot water heater, septic, laundry, full kitchen, tv, etc. all make the stay a lot more enjoyable, especially for the non hunters that may enjoy tagging along.

Couldn't agree more the what everyone has stated. Had a 30 footer for awhile and it served the purpose. But, it did leak over time and me and the mice just got along. I would say that most campers are not meant to endure 24/7 in the elements, especially the cold and wet that Iowa can experience. Like everyone else I built a metal building and finished half as a cabin. Much, much, better.

Pretty much same as hillrunner and dubs, had a 30ft jayco quad bunkhouse, it definitely served its purpose while building the shouse. previous owner had it set up good, level rock area, elec and water ready to go . I bought it used, drove it there, parked it and it never moved until I sold it. Mine didnt leak and I had mice bait everywhere so that wasnt a big problem either. The biggest issue was using it over winter. That Jayco had a well insulated floor and the water lines were protected, had a radiator type electric heater on inside all the time. The problem was the hydrant and supply house, you could use heat tape but always worried that would freeze. Everytime I left had to disconnect, drain everything and winterize just in case the power went out. Kids had a blast in the bunks and lots of good memories. I backed the wheels up on 2x12s and that lasted me 4 years. Yeah its more work but I'd say it's a good option, it's nice staying right on the farm. Maybe look at a park model which are better set up for long term use, a skirt of some type keeping the underneath protected.

Fish houses work great for temporary shacks. I have an 8x16, no mice issues, warm built for cold weather.

Ice Castle, Yetti, Grand Lodge

We were gonna do that and decided to go with a premier building/shed cabin its 12x24...no mice or leaky roof to worry about..

Just another thought...when I did build my cabin, and by that time I was really tired of mice getting into the camper that I had previously, I went "nuclear" on MPS. (MPS = Mouse Prevention System) :) I of course used what is called a "rat board" on the perimeter base of the steel sided structure and that may well have been sufficient, but I also took it to another level too. :)

Once the exterior siding was installed and before I had closed off the walls on the interior, I mixed some concrete and filled the ribs up on the inside about 10"-12". So in effect, there is a concrete barrier at the ground level all around the cabin even if they were able to find a crack in the seam of the steel siding, etc. Ain't no mouse gonna chew through see-ment! :) I am happy to say that we have never had a mouse penetrate the MPS reinforced wall system.

I’ve read of people turning used shipping containers into “cabins” but not sure how cost effective that is by the time/ effort it would take to make it habitable. Some on Craigslist’s now for $2K, just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just another thought...when I did build my cabin, and by that time I was really tired of mice getting into the camper that I had previously, I went "nuclear" on MPS. (MPS = Mouse Prevention System) :) I of course used what is called a "rat board" on the perimeter base of the steel sided structure and that may well have been sufficient, but I also took it to another level too. :)

Once the exterior siding was installed and before I had closed off the walls on the interior, I mixed some concrete and filled the ribs up on the inside about 10"-12". So in effect, there is a concrete barrier at the ground level all around the cabin even if they were able to find a crack in the seam of the steel siding, etc. Ain't no mouse gonna chew through see-ment! :) I am happy to say that we have never had a mouse penetrate the MPS reinforced wall system.

What’s a rat board?

Top Bottom