Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Reduced recoil turkey

Reit38

Looking to take my 7 yr old daughter Turkey hunting this spring. Anyone have a preference in a reduced recoil round for 20ga. ?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

• Deleted by chipterp
  • Reason: Duplicate
Show…
If you get them close enough a low brass sheet load will destroy them. My one kid used high brass #5 2 3/4" pheasant loads and smoked one.

To lower recoil I used that stretchy non stick gauze and taped a rolled up shirt on top and around the butt plate of the shotgun, it really helped reduce kick

I just used high brass 5s for my daughter like you would use pheasant hunting worked great.
Yep! I happened to use 6 shot but not much difference.

Also, if you are going to have her practice, practice with a light target load or 410 so there is as little kick as possible. Then put the high brass in for hunting without mentioning it will kick more. I've done this on more than one kid for deer (muzzleloader) and turkey and they never notice the kick when shooting at game!

We also practiced with low brass skeet loads out of the gun they would eventually hunt with. When it came down to it just put the hunting load in on opening day and it went great. We started with a 410 but in the end practiced with what we would hunt with.

She has shot slugs with me while sighting in l, but that was with a lead sled. Do the extended ported chokes help much, are they worth buying? (I'm not much of Turkey hunter, but shes been wanting to go past 2 yrs)

Full choke is fine for those loads and distance. Do a few pattern shots with it yourself at 20, 30 & maybe 40 yards though to make sure you know the pattern and end of its abilities.

What gun are you using? When we started with the kids, they used the caldwell field pod to help support the gun. They use a Mossberg youth shotgun with a synthetic stock. I took the recoil pad off and added lead to that to increase the gun weight. This helped with recoil.

Also - don't shoot a turkey choke if you plan on having them shoot close. We started with decoys at 10yrds and missed a turkey. The pattern with a turkey choke at 10-15 yards is really small, we missed one at that range. Went back to modified and kids had success.

We have had lots of success with a jake and hen decoys. The toms/jakes focus on that jake and we have them come right to the decoy. It really helps aiming if you know where they are going to end up versus's trying to keep the bead on a walking turkey.

She has a youth 870. Plan on using avian quarter strut jake with a hen or 2. Believe I have the feeder and breeder. I do have a monopod she will probably use.

Top Bottom