Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Making deer tags good for any season, or how to get more than one buck tag HF218

Now come on, Fish and Sligh were just advocating not eating venison in a recent thread along with posting research showing no clear path to stopping CWD. Why not get ahead of this and eat while the eatings still good so to speak while saving us money from throwing unused tags in the trash?

Spent some time at the Capitol today. We did not meet with the sponsor of this bill but several "hallway" conversations indicate this bill is aimed at increasing the number of deer killed every year. Legislators are hearing from their constituents that they are tired of vehicle/deer interactions. You can probably figure out who the "constituents" are.

Farm Bureau!
I received a call again Monday that a Farm Bureau agent wanted to meet with myself for insurance.
I told the receptionist how I dislike FB. She had to politely listen to my trashing of FB:cool:
I said FB hates deer and I like deer... it’s not going to happen :rolleyes:

Two more questions. Money is a huge issue and to me this would result in less tags sold=less money. Seems like a bad idea. The other one is that this was introduced to kill more deer? Also seems like a bass ackward way of going about it. Now instead of plunking a doe or two on the last day of shotgun 1, people are gonna wait til gun 2 or late muzzleloader for a buck (which isnt really helping towards the goal of lowering numbers) or itll get too cold, or too deep of snow and then they dont fill the tags at all. Just some scenarios I see playing out

Just issue more doe tags in the counties with high populations and during each respective season.

So I can start the year with 2 archery any sex tags and hunt until late muzzy?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know the actual number of tags sold vs tags filled last year?

I’m not in favor of this “one tag good for all seasons, until filled.” I would, however, like to be able to purchase an antlerless for ONE of the gun seasons OR late muzzle, if I hunt early muzzle. Perhaps I’m wrong - if so, please explain...

Does anyone know the actual number of tags sold vs tags filled last year?

I’m not in favor of this “one tag good for all seasons, until filled.” I would, however, like to be able to purchase an antlerless for ONE of the gun seasons OR late muzzle, if I hunt early muzzle. Perhaps I’m wrong - if so, please explain...
Not sure what you mean. You can buy doe tags for all those seasons you mentioned until they sell out.

Not sure what you mean. You can buy doe tags for all those seasons you mentioned until they sell out.
If one buys an anydeer for Early Muzzle, they have their choice of Bow or Late. Can’t buy an antlerless for either of Reg Gun if one hunts Early Muzzle. They changed that two or three years ago. Gun and Late Muzzy, yes. Just seems odd, but perhaps there’s some sort of logic behind it.

If one buys an anydeer for Early Muzzle, they have their choice of Bow or Late. Can’t buy an antlerless for either of Reg Gun if you hunt Early Muzzle. They changed that two or three years ago. Gun and Late Muzzy, yes. Just seems odd, but perhaps there’s some sort of logic behind it.
No kidding. I didn't know that. I wonder what their reasoning is. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No kidding. I didn't know that. I wonder what their reasoning is. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
So ya cant hunt early muzzleloader and then party hunt during shotgun season. It's weird cuz they dont care if you hunt late muzzy and then party hunt during shotgun seasons. It's made an impact on early muzzy tag sales. They went from selling out in a week to selling out the day of season last year. This year I dont think they sold out

I can definitely see this causing land access issues. If people from gun 1 are allowed to hunt gun 2, too many people will be in the field shooting at deer.
Agreed, more land access issues.

Against this, but curious if that would then make Iowa a 1 buck state or what their plan is.
I'm curious as well. But guessing you would get as many as you can now. Bow would be good for all seasons, gun would be legal for all after the respective gun season.

Also, maybe I'm missing something but I'm not reading this as just applying to the gun seasons. The way it reads to me I buy a bow tag and I'm ok to hunt any other season until I fill it.
That's how I read it.

Two more questions. Money is a huge issue and to me this would result in less tags sold=less money. Seems like a bad idea. The other one is that this was introduced to kill more deer? Also seems like a bass ackward way of going about it. Now instead of plunking a doe or two on the last day of shotgun 1, people are gonna wait til gun 2 or late muzzleloader for a buck (which isnt really helping towards the goal of lowering numbers) or itll get too cold, or too deep of snow and then they dont fill the tags at all. Just some scenarios I see playing out
I was thinking the same thing.

So ya cant hunt early muzzleloader and then party hunt during shotgun season. It's weird cuz they dont care if you hunt late muzzy and then party hunt during shotgun seasons. It's made an impact on early muzzy tag sales. They went from selling out in a week to selling out the day of season last year. This year I dont think they sold out
Demand ought to go back up if they can use it in any season after.

Probably won't matter much when we have any weapon of your choice and one long season starting August 15 (in case you want a velvet buck) and going until April 1 (just in case there's any bucks still holding).

This bill seems pretty poorly written to me, needs some things clarified but maybe that is up to the DNR if it passes.

I would think since bow season is open till January 10th, just takes a break for shotgun season, that you couldn't use a bow tag for shotgun. Maybe for the late antlerless if that continues.

Does the DNR make recommendations on bills while they are still in the legislature or do they make recommendations to the governor on wether to sign it or not? I can't see the DNR supporting this for the safety of shotgun season and the loss of revenue.

If this passes it is going to be a mess! One example is that early muzzy hunters may have a hard time getting tags. I for one have never bought one, but probably will now if it is going to be good for the whole year. I may not even go during early muzzy, but since I might, there goes a tag that used to be available for a guy or gal who normally hunts that season.

So as soon as tags go on sale I'll buy...
1 - Early muzzy any sex
1 - Archery any sex
2+ - Archery antlerless
Then I'm good to hunt October 1 - early January, with no breaks, because all of these tags are good for the whole year.

That does not even consider if I get both of my kids a youth and early muzzy tag. Neither kid can pull back a bow, but when cross bows are made legal you can add two archery tags for them too. Heck, I guess with the new rule I'll buy them archery tags anyway so they can use them in the later gun seasons. It no longer matters if they can pull a bow back or not in order to use that tag.:confused::confused::confused: Six bucks for my two kids...seems about right?????o_Oo_O

I realize the same number of tags are already available but with limited timeframes to fill them. This scenario literally gives us three months per tag.

I don't like the sounds of this! Time to contact my legislators!:mad:

• Deleted by Hardwood11
  • Reason: Add
Show…
If this passes it is going to be a mess! One example is that early muzzy hunters may have a hard time getting tags. I for one have never bought one, but probably will now if it is going to be good for the whole year. I may not even go during early muzzy, but since I might, there goes a tag that used to be available for a guy or gal who normally hunts that season.

So as soon as tags go on sale I'll buy...
1 - Early muzzy any sex
1 - Archery any sex
2+ - Archery antlerless
Then I'm good to hunt October 1 - early January, with no breaks, because all of these tags are good for the whole year.

That does not even consider if I get both of my kids a youth and early muzzy tag. Neither kid can pull back a bow, but when cross bows are made legal you can add two archery tags for them too. Heck, I guess with the new rule I'll buy them archery tags anyway so they can use them in the later gun seasons. It no longer matters if they can pull a bow back or not in order to use that tag.:confused::confused::confused: Six bucks for my two kids...seems about right?????o_Oo_O

I realize the same number of tags are already available but with limited timeframes to fill them. This scenario literally gives us three months per tag.

I don't like the sounds of this! Time to contact my legislators!:mad:

Would they be able to get an archery tag and use it for early muzzy season? Or not since archery season would still be going? Also makes me wonder now if an archery tag would be legal for gun 1 & gun 2 since it is legal for early and late split bow season. Is the season technically over after early split since it’s good for both?

Stickers, good questions. I was assuming an archery tag would be good for shotgun and late muzzy, but I could certainly be wrong. I'd still be grabbing an early muzzy though.

They voted a 28 year old into office in New York state, to the U.S. house of representatives, who was a bartender 6 months ago. As of last Thursday she introduced legislation to eliminate all fossil fuels, flatulating cows and to end all air travel. Not to mention free everything for everyone. Sound strategy. So, it doesn't surprise anyone.

If you have time for some light reading pick up Leadership by James MacGregor Burns first published in the 70's. It's the liberal left playbook. It's about "transformational leadership". In short, it details how to create change through changing our value system, ie induce lack of religion, break down the family unit, indoctrinate through education, etc. Wake up America!

Last edited:
This bill may or may not have legs. It was assigned to the Natural Resources Committee who has yet to assign a subcommittee. It may be DOA but if you want to communicate now with someone in regards to this bill Rep. Robert Bacon, an avid hunter and gun enthusiast, is the chair of the Natural Resources Committee. Like Jdubs said, this bill is very ambiguous and may not have a chance of passing, but bad laws that are on the books had to start somewhere.

I will continue to watch this bill and let everyone know when a subcommittee is assigned, if there is one, and then let the emails fly.

I sent a email to my Rep to give him a heads up. At first he couldn’t find it so he asked for a link and thanks to Bonk the link was available.
He was very polite I felt on his replies but he stated that he didn’t hunt and wanted to know why I felt this bill sucked.
Again he wasn’t being a jerk but non hunters many times just don’t get the big picture and I hope my explanation made sense to him.
Finally I said I could call him and it would be easier to explain if needed but he said he had buddies on the NRC and was going to see what there thoughts were.
Bonkers so TRUE bad bills CAN and have became law so send the emails so we can stop this youngsters bill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom