Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ice

loneranger

having an ice storm here in SE Iowa tonight. Worse than last week. What are deer gona do on shear ice? Very bad.

Not good. But I’m guessing they will do better then the deer up here that are being baited with corn piles. Being shot with 308s with night vision and surpressors. Oh and they are also being shot out of vehicles at night. This is completely legal, better yet. The killers are being paid to do so. Your deer will be just fine.

Ran up to the farm in Putnam Co, MO this weekend and was very surprised at the amount of ice covering everything. Seen a lot of deer and they all looked health but mother nature will lay her claim. The timber wasn't as bad and I did see acorns, need to get a coupler feeders going but mdc says I can't legally....

Attachments

• Feb19 Ice3.jpg
    Feb19 Ice3.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Feb19 Ice2.jpg
    Feb19 Ice2.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 49
Dont think all of the deer are Fine. Especially the young . Ice covering everything is worse than snow. Usually we get a nice long thaw at some point but that also is not in the offing. Strange Winter? And tough for young. Weak. And also birds. Coyotes will eat good though I suspect.

Yep we had an ice storm last night and no mention of it from the NWS. No warnings. Nothing. This area of SE Iowa usually overlooked by the Weather Services. Hard deal for wildlife and birds. More cold on coming on top of it.

Loneranger you worry too much! These animals have survived for a few years over time! They have been adapted to the high heat of the summer and brutal temps of the winter. Sure we will lose some deer this winter, but that is the same as every winter and summer, etc. I would be willing to be that deer loss from weather is about the same year to year. Deer are survivors, if they run out or cant get to food in one area the will move along until they find some! Everything will be ok!

It's quite obvious mother nature and the NWS have a vendetta against SE Iowa and its deer. She will find one way to wipe out the herd whether it's no moisture in the summer or too much ice/snow/cold in the winter.

Hey, Not funny. Ask my neighbor who has a mowing business. He has lost thousands the past few year do to drought. This area, along with NE MO were on the Drought Monitor for Severe drought for the past 3 Summers. A fact. No weather is not wiping out my deer herd. Humans are responsible for that. If this is not true you should ask a popular person on this site that told me this after I purchased my property. I won't name him. The ice is hard on critters, Not just deer. Birds for one. I am going into debt on bird seed! I am sure quail and pheasants are not faring well either. The NWS routinely overlooks out area in their forecasts. I think they believe we are part of MO. Compared to the past 11 years I have been here this Winter has been a doosey. Nothing though like I had up in N MI where I lived for 25 yrs. Some winters I did not see bare ground for 4 Months. During the tough ones I found dead Fawns in Spring. Nothing like that down here. In fact to me winters are short compared to Summers. By March the Sun grows high and strong. Melts any day it's out no matter the temp. But by past years this stint of deep snow and now Ice covering everything is hard on living things. Not to mention my trees and fruit trees. Nothing to scoff at. Spring cannot come too soon now!

I live in Minnesota, and this year we have areas 4 feet deep in fields. Pheasants will take it hard no doubt. Deer usually do much better than people realize. The last die off I have seen in MN, was 1996. Hopefully you will get mid-40 temps soon, that will help!

On my farm in Western Iowa, I hear there is no snow??

6 inches in Western Iowa now. Depending where your at. Ill buy your farm loneranger when all your critters die for 1000 less an acre you bought it for.

Some day may sell. Didnt buy it for hunting exactly. Have a nice little home and pole barn. 40 acres. If I ever move will be north where I came from. Cooler Summers and less chances of the dreaded freezing rain.

Dont think all of the deer are Fine. Especially the young . Ice covering everything is worse than snow. Usually we get a nice long thaw at some point but that also is not in the offing. Strange Winter? And tough for young. Weak. And also birds. Coyotes will eat good though I suspect.
I’ll trade you my cwd deer and their prions for your ice. Deal?

Hey I got cwd near me too! Never mind ice effect on deer. Ice storms do more than hurt deer. My trees are severely damaged!

Top Bottom