Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hungry deer

loneranger

Every year I cut back shingle oak and cherry that are trying to take over my fields and open spaces. They always send up new shoots during the Summer. Most Winters I notice the new growth nibbled on here and there. Yesterday I was out in my fields and every bit of new growth and buds were chewed off everywhere ! Tells me deer are seriously hungry!

They love that stuff. That’s natural browse for deer that’s high in nutrition and very palatable. Growth from larger trees cut down - in the little shoots they grow up in summer - are mega concentrated with nutrients. Tree tops aren’t as concentrated but if you cut one down, they’ll be gobbled up in a matter of days.

Just sayin deer definitely more hungry around my place than I have noticed in years!
Same here. Drove around the "block" yesterday before dark, actually looking at ground to buy. Saw over 100 deer. A normal drive this time of evening would normally have you spotting 10-20. Every deer was out of the woods and on picked fields and front yards.

Same here. Drove around the "block" yesterday before dark, actually looking at ground to buy. Saw over 100 deer. A normal drive this time of evening would normally have you spotting 10-20. Every deer was out of the woods and on picked fields and front yards.

What part of Iowa?

What that tells me is just how tough these critters are. The survival rate for the record cold is apparently quite good!

Top Bottom