Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

OnXmaps App Vs OnXmaps Chip for GPS

I used both this last year on an elk hunt in Colorado. If you have the means to keep a tablet or phone charged during your hunt I would have preferred the App. better graphics being the main reason. With the app the satellite imagery is a helpful tool, you wont get that on a gps. I downloaded the area I was hunting ahead of time on my tablet and used that for scouting. When we hit the mountain to hunt I used a Garmin Montana to stay oriented to where I was at and where I was going. Battery life was an issue with both once the weather got cold. It was no problem to throw in a few extra AA batteries for the Garmin. My hunting partners had good luck using I phones with the app and carried a couple extra battery packs to charge them. Either way a hands down awesome tool!

I have both now because I did an update on my chip for 30$ and with that I get the app for a year. The app is nice but when I’m hunting or outdoors I like to use the gps. Like said above the battery on the phone is an issue.

Get the app , use a portable battery charger. No need for a GPS works just fine with your phone in airplane mode with no signal if you download the maps ahead of time

I'm with Andy. If you are super backcountry in a wilderness unit or if it is super cold then I could see a GPS being beneficial. Otherwise a cell phone with the app, downloaded maps, and airplane mode is the way to go

I carry both when out west, along with extra batteries for both..You just know know what will happen or is one will need an update and completely lock you out (my phone did that once)

Top Bottom