Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ice Fish

tracker

Life Member
How many of you guys on here ice fish??
I just started a few years ago and really enjoy it!! I try to hit alot of the lakes around me and travel up to Clear Lake, Silver, Rice and Crystal 2 or 3 times a year early when we don't have ice.
I thought hunting was expensive. It doesn't take long to climb over a grand when you start buying all the nice stuff for this sport also. But what the hell, you can't take it with you right?? LOL

Yeah, we usually hit the Iowa Great Lakes for panfish several times a year, but haven't been there yet this year. With the snow pack we have now, probably not going to happen for awhile unless a person has a sled or likes to walk a bunch. If you could get set up with the basics for a grand, you've found bargains. Shack, vexilar, auger, rods, etc. And if you have a family member that likes to go along, better have 2 vexilars. Still fun, and love the fried fish!!

NWBuck

Nothing better than fish out of cold water.
ice fish.jpg

Do you folks think winter fish taste better than summer? The few hard water fish I caught years ago seemed to be firmer (no they weren't frozen) and just taste better. Am I nuts? Don't answer that.

I haven’t been out this year, but we got this mess last year after I was sent “home” from the hospital in early labor... 12 hours later my son was born.

Attachments

• 2EAD2B55-F129-4727-B300-64C9230AF63B.jpeg
    2EAD2B55-F129-4727-B300-64C9230AF63B.jpeg
    885.8 KB · Views: 227
Do you folks think winter fish taste better than summer? The few hard water fish I caught years ago seemed to be firmer (no they weren't frozen) and just taste better. Am I nuts? Don't answer that.

I do. I also give my fillets an ice water bath right after cleaning the rest of the year and I think it firms them up.

With the catfish there is a huge difference. The pan fish are better also I believe.
Its just great being able to set up above the fish and not float off your target area like you do with a boat.
Plus the electronics are crazy!! Vexilars, cameras, panoptix-it's crazy
Its still like summer fishing though-you can mark all the fish in the area but getting them to bite can be frustrating. Especially with pressures changing.

Bonker the filets are good for your belly, and the fish scraps would be good for your trapline. Could possibly double your production with some fish cleanings for chum!

I don’t notice the difference with panfish, but cold water is huge for catfish and trout. We don’t keep Catfish unless they are caught at ice out.

I caught my first walleye through the ice this year and a personal best 15" crappie.
Still have yet to bring a catfish up. I usually fish suspended so that may not happen for a while

Well this thread makes ice fishing appear to be moderately enjoyable... who wants to take me, i'll supply the bourbon.

Top Bottom