Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SSB 1221 Another Public land Bill

I am embarrassed to admit I am a member of Farm Bureau but I have to be to continue to get my health insurance through Welmark Blue Cross.
I attempted to change health insurance to a different company a few years ago but found out that because of ObamaCare policies, insurance rates have skyrocketed and it is very hard to change companies any time you want. Apparently I have had my policy long enough that I am "Grandfathered in" to a good plan and it would be stupid to cancel it. I cannot get anything as good for anywhere near my price.
I called both my local office and the county office for Farm Bureau to express my displeasure with their recent policies and told them I would find other insurance soon if they don't get it tune with what their members want. Both people I talked to were very nice and I managed to maintain composure and be nice in return, they knew about the bill to prohibit any more public land in Iowa and both seemed to agree with me on the issue and not the company stand. I tried to get through to someone at the state FB office but got put into voicemail limbo and wasn't able to speak with anyone about the issue directly.

Therefore, If you happen to have FarmBureau insurance, take the time to make a few calls there yourself - might just do some good coming at this from the backside as well.

Can you explain? If there is an easement, how can they keep it in production?
An easement on grassland could still be grazed. Cattle production is what I was eluding to. I am sure the easement puts stipulations in place but I am not intimately familiar enough to talk specifics. Just wanted to offer the example that was presented to the committee.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

An easement on grassland could still be grazed. Cattle production is what I was eluding to. I am sure the easement puts stipulations in place but I am not intimately familiar enough to talk specifics. Just wanted to offer the example that was presented to the committee.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Makes sense, yes you can get a grassland easement which allows grazing...thanks

The Hunting Public has a podcast and video out about this. I sent them a message a few days ago hoping they'd touch on it to inform their viewers and hadn't heard anything back but glad they are spreading the word

FWIW...I received the following reply from the legislator that I communicate with most often...

"Thanks for the email Dave.
I am happy to report we were able to stop it on the House side.
If the Senate advances it I will make sure that dies as well!"

FWIW...I received the following reply from the legislator that I communicate with most often...

"Thanks for the email Dave.
I am happy to report we were able to stop it on the House side.
If the Senate advances it I will make sure that dies as well!"

I was on a conference call last night that discussed this bill ad nauseum. We discussed the amendments that are reportedly going to be proposed so the law would be more about not using tax money to improve the land for public use. Also part of the conversation was the program that gives reduced interest loans to a group in Iowa (I apologize I don't remember what the exact name of the group is but they are very conservation oriented) and the FB feels that group being able to use that program gives that group an unfair advantage when purchasing ground. The group can afford to pay more per acre because they pay less in interest. The FB wants to "level the playing field" when it comes to land purchases.

I felt it was an effort to call off the dogs but would still put the future of public land in question. The ICA (the IBA is a member) voted to remain opposed to the bill and to keep up the pressure to be sure the Senators continue to hear our opposition. I don't want the House to even have a chance to consider it but it is good to hear anything the Senate sends the House in this regard will be dismissed out of hand.

Passed the Senate, vote was 32-17. Sent to House.

The debate was very interesting. Senator Shipley from Adams County blamed CRP for destroying rural Iowa. He referenced a tract of land near his farm that was as flat as the Senate floor that has been in CRP for a very long time and it could be making somebody some money. Well, sure, plow it up, produce another thousand bushels of corn or beans and sell them below the cost of putting them in. Who makes money from that?

Passed the Senate, vote was 32-17. Sent to House.

The debate was very interesting. Senator Shipley from Adams County blamed CRP for destroying rural Iowa. He referenced a tract of land near his farm that was as flat as the Senate floor that has been in CRP for a very long time and it could be making somebody some money. Well, sure, plow it up, produce another thousand bushels of corn or beans and sell them below the cost of putting them in. Who makes money from that?

It passed in the Senate??? Did the many, many people that showed up in DM to protest not receive any credence? If the Farm Bureau has that much stroke then we REALLY need to take them down.

It passed in the Senate??? Did the many, many people that showed up in DM to protest not receive any credence? If the Farm Bureau has that much stroke then we REALLY need to take them down.

Yup. I actually watched the last 90 minutes of the debate. It grew very contentious. The Democrats spoke repeatedly about the huge crowd for the subcommittee meeting and the 1200 emails the members of the subcommittee and full committee received. The Republicans didn't seem to care. They seemed to not care what the majority of the voters wanted. A couple of the Republican members made sense but most of them that I heard seemed to be upset that they were being challenged on the bill. If you are interested the date can bee seen here: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/dashboard?view=video&chamber=S&clip=s20190320013419957&dt=2019-03-20 go to about 2:15, the vote is at about 4:24. I think I started at about 3:15. If you want to see your lawmakers at work, here it is.

It is currently in the House and will go through the same process as it did in the Senate, subcommittee, full committee debate, vote.

As far as who voter which way if they had an R after their name they voted For, D after their name they voted Against. Strick party line vote.

This bill was assigned to a sub committee yesterday, the meeting is Tuesday, April 2nd in the House Lounge.

If as many folks show up for this one as the original sub in the Senate it will make a difference.

Subcommittee members:

Representative Mike Sexton, House District 10, Pocahontas, Calhoun, Humboldt and parts of Webster Counties. Email: Mike.Sexton@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=1153

Representative Jarad Klein, House District 78, Keokuk and parts of Washington Counties. Email: jarad.klein@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=9408

Representative RasTafari I. Smith, House District 62, Waterloo. Email: Ras.Smith@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=18048

This bill was assigned to a sub committee yesterday, the meeting is Tuesday, April 2nd in the House Lounge.

If as many folks show up for this one as the original sub in the Senate it will make a difference.

Subcommittee members:

Representative Mike Sexton, House District 10, Pocahontas, Calhoun, Humboldt and parts of Webster Counties. Email: Mike.Sexton@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=1153

Representative Jarad Klein, House District 78, Keokuk and parts of Washington Counties. Email: jarad.klein@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=9408

Representative RasTafari I. Smith, House District 62, Waterloo. Email: Ras.Smith@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=18048
Friggg. 2 repubs and 1 dem is bad news for the sub. Emails getting sent.

Friggg. 2 repubs and 1 dem is bad news for the sub. Emails getting sent.

Little know fact, all subcommittees for this year and next will be 2 Republicans and 1 Democrat. The majority party assigns Committee chairs and the Committee chairs assign subcommittees. If the Democrats were in the majority it would be 2 "Ds" and 1 "R".

Little know fact, all subcommittees for this year and next will be 2 Republicans and 1 Democrat. The majority party assigns Committee chairs and the Committee chairs assign subcommittees. If the Democrats were in the majority it would be 2 "Ds" and 1 "R".
Good to know Bonks.

Top Bottom