Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pistol regualtions for deer hunting HF179

How tacticool is this:

remingtonmodel700cp_inset.jpg

This bill has been assigned to a sub committee.

Representative Terry Baxter House District 8 (Hancock, Wright and parts of Kossuth Counties) Email: Terry.Baxter@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=13796

Representative Scott Oruth House District 26 (Indianola and most of Warren County) Email: scott.ourth@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=10742

Representative Jon Thorp House District 28 (Parts of Jasper, Marion and Lucas Counties) Email: Jon.Thorup@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27021

A note about the gun above, Remington 700 action, chambered in .223 .300 AAC Blackout and .308. This is a production gun not a one of a kind.

We used to say "I want to hunt deer, what is the best gun for it in Iowa?" Now some say "I just bought me this kewell new gun and I wants to kill me something with it." I'm getting too old for this shit.

How tacticool is this:

remingtonmodel700cp_inset.jpg

This bill has been assigned to a sub committee.

Representative Terry Baxter House District 8 (Hancock, Wright and parts of Kossuth Counties) Email: Terry.Baxter@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=13796

Representative Scott Oruth House District 26 (Indianola and most of Warren County) Email: scott.ourth@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=10742

Representative Jon Thorp House District 28 (Parts of Jasper, Marion and Lucas Counties) Email: Jon.Thorup@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27021

A note about the gun above, Remington 700 action, chambered in .223 .300 AAC Blackout and .308. This is a production gun not a one of a kind.

We used to say "I want to hunt deer, what is the best gun for it in Iowa?" Now some say "I just bought me this kewell new gun and I wants to kill me something with it." I'm getting too old for this shit.
Basically a modern version of Mares leg! . Looks cool, but not real practical.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The proposed amendment was published today.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=H1004&ga=88

Somebody with more gun smarts than I have please read it and tell me what it means.

It strikes the term "straight wall" and leaves the language as "A cartridge rifle". But in another section it refers to straight wall cartridges. There are also minimum ballistics requirements listed which I believe is new.

Maybe they are trying to differentiate between a muzzle loader and a rifle that shoots cartridges. I am just very suspicious of any new laws on rifles. It doesn't assuage my angst any that the only two groups that are for the bill (before the amendment) are not what I consider conservation groups.

Looks like these will produce a higher percentage of deer that need tracking. Something with that short of a barrel can’t possibly be consistent without significant practice, can it??

Thus the attempt at differentiation. They had to put something in there to not lump all rifles together.
I see that now. My bad.

The changes are horrible and affect more than just pistols and revolvers. My interpretation. I don't like it one bit.

The bill was passed by the Natural Resources Committee with an amendment. (See above) The House referred the bill using House Rule 31.7 to the Public Safety Committee. The bill's sponsor is on the Public Safety Committee and was appointed to the subcommittee. The bill passed the subcommittee in its original form, go figure. The full Public Safety Committee took up the bill today and it passed 12-9. There are 11 Republicans and 10 Democrats on the Committee.

I don't know what happens now. It is eligible for floor debate but I don't know the standing of the amendment. Can the bill be debated only in the form passed by the Public Safety Committee or can it be considered in the amended version approved by the Natural Resources Committee? Suffice it to say, in my opinion, the bill's sponsor didn't like what the Natural Resources Committee did to his bill and played politics to get his bill passed, I'm assuming, against the will of the people. Why would a hunting bill be run through the Public Safety Committee?

Here is a copy and paste of the rule (31.7) used to get the bill to the Public Safety Committee:

7. A bill reported out by committee shall go to the speaker who shall direct that the bill be placed on the regular calendar unless it covers subject matter more properly within the jurisdiction of some other standing committee, in which case the speaker may refer the bill to the proper standing committee. In order to expedite important business and set a definite time for the bill’s consideration, the speaker may direct the bill to be placed on the special order calendar.

There are 10 groups registered on this bill, 7 against, 1 undecided and 2 in favor.

Yeah, if you can't already tell the way this has been manipulated has my Norwegian up. I better have a piece of lefse, some pickled herring and dream of the fjords to calm down.

Well that revision is about as clear as mud, nobody knows if they'll get their own season, or if they'll get lumped into a current season. This lawmaker mentality of, "pass it before we figure it all out" crap is ridiculous. I also find it odd that they allow someone to hunt with a pistol as long as they are 20 years old, but they have to have someone 21 or older with them. You can't even legally buy a pistol until you're 21, why make that rule at all?
I'm not certain, but I would assume that any AR style pistol will be ballistically limited to 100 to maybe 150 yd shots. I have a 5.56, 10.5" barreled AR pistol and it throws some sweet fireballs at the expense of not burning up all the powder before the round exits the barrel. Loses a fair amount of velocity from that.
I did see some companies make a 14.5" barreled .450 Bushmaster though, (which if you don't pin and weld the muzzle brake is considered an AR pistol). A 14.5" barrel might reach out to 200 yards, but I would think most guys wouldn't be capable of that.

The Public Safety version of this bill was introduced today with a new number HF716.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=HF 716&ga=88

The way I read it a pistol would be allowed to use a shouldered cartridge of .357 or larger which eliminates the straight walled requirement. Farther down the bill the term "straight wall" is removed so the bill reads "cartridge rifle" and further says a cartridge rifle using the same ammunition as allowed in pistols could be used in cartridge rifles. So if there is a shouldered cartridge that fits in the pistol category it would be legal in a rifle category. There may not be a lot of caliber/cartridges that fit this definition but it opens the door to high power rifles. The language would be there for the next increment to high power rifles shooting what I call traditional rounds .223 and above.

The language in question is page 2 lines 3-19. Please read it and if I'm incorrect in my interpretation please point it out. I don't want to spread misinformation.

Interesting. There aren't many mainstream rounds between .357 and .5 that aren't straight wall. I think they're opening the door for rounds like .458 socom. I hope this doesn't lead to high power rifle hunting down the road.

The IFC sends out emails regarding current legislation quite frequently. I thought their description of this bill from a pre-written message you can send was interesting. I support the IFC generally, but they get a little carried away sometimes.

DNR Reforms (HF-179)
This legislation makes a more inclusive and accommodating hunting environment in Iowa. This legislation will accomplish that mission by protecting commonly owned weapons for hunters of all ages, preserving pistol seasons, and modernize cartridge options for deer hunting in Iowa.

Gotta love that language. "Modernize cartridge options". What is modern? Is 30-06 modern? How about 7mm? Maybe 338 Win Mag? Anything with smokeless powder modern?

I agree with IFC for the most part as well, but always good to think it through.

Top Bottom