Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Necked cartridges introduced

Funny, not a mention in that article about how this was a bill for children like the House Republicans sold it. This was yet another bill under the guise of "For the Youth".

I'm a Life Member of the NRA. They are not a friend of the hunter in regards to herd biology. They are a friend to the highest bidder. If they were truly concerned about deer hunting why haven't they taken a position on CWD?

The bill passed on straight party lines. It still has to go through the same process in the Senate.

Last edited:
One more rant, the article extolls the virtues of the increased hunting opportunities this bill will create in Iowa. What BS. The only way to increase hunting opportunities in Iowa is to increase public lands.
"Opportunity" isn't created by increasing methods of take, it is created by increasing places to hunt.

Pure BS!! The whinny *ss babies that can’t kill a deer the hard way might get there way. Just like the cowboy calibers a few years ago and probably crossguns in the future.
I guess people need a crutch to kill a deer! I’m getting older and have seen the glory years for deer hunting in this state and now over time Iowa will just be another state with deer.
Iowa the equal opportunity state for poor hunters now is the new slogan.

Funny, not a mention in that article about how this was a bill for children like the House Republicans sold it. This was yet another bill under the guise of "For the Youth".

I'm a Life Member of the NRA. They are not a friend of the hunter in regards to herd biology. They are a friend to the highest bidder. If they were truly concerned about deer hunting why haven't they taken a position on CWD?

The bill passed on straight party lines. It still has to go through the same process in the Senate.

I'm guessing that anyone with an R by there name is afraid of being called out or given a poor grade by the NRA. This is where politics get so frustrating , common sense has to be put aside to follow party lines.
Why in the #### can't these morons leave Iowa deer season alone? We have more than enough opportunity with the weapons available now.

I read HF716 and think it says bullet size has to be between .350 and .500. Anybody else come away with that? Not many popular necked rifle calibers in that group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be a great way for them to pass it this year then amend in larger stuff over the next 3 years.

Larger?? You mean smaller, like .243, 7MM, 300 Win Mag?
I’ll go along with the slippery slope slant.

Who keeps pushing this crap? Every year they keep eroding away at what makes our state special. Was it the NRA that got at Republicans? If so, why? Big money pushing this so they can high power rifle hunt? Just seems nonstop. Getting really sick of it.

Who keeps pushing this crap? Every year they keep eroding away at what makes our state special. Was it the NRA that got at Republicans? If so, why? Big money pushing this so they can high power rifle hunt? Just seems nonstop. Getting really sick of it.

Link to the lobbyist registration for the first version of this bill: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/lobbyist/reports/declarations?ga=88&ba=HF179 this will show you the two organizations that were for it.

Here is a link to the bill's second version: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/lobbyist/reports/declarations?ga=88&ba=HF716 you'll notice the IBA was "undecided". Just because any group registers as undecided it doesn't mean they aren't decided, it just means they are playing politics. The fix was in on this bill, the outcome was inevitable so to save some political capital we went undecided. We would have needed to change the minds of at least 10 Republican Representatives. The IBA doesn't have enough money to do that. If every one of the 55,000 bowhunters in Iowa would join the IBA it would be a much different story.

This bill still needs to go through the Senate. It is my hope the Senate takes a look and strikes the centerfire stuff. And monkeys will fly outta my asparagus patch. On a straight party line vote we will need to change at least 14 Republican Senator's minds Again, the IBA can't afford to do that but a large agricultural insurance company in Iowa could. This is not to say the FB has anything to do with this bill but just think about it for a minute. Who wants all the deer in Iowa dead? Alright, maybe not all of them, just the ones that eat crops and have close encounters with motor vehicles. So yeah, so all the deer.

Who can we really blame for this? Everybody reading this that voted Republican please raise your hand. My hand is up, he didn't win but I voted for him. We can't blame the liberal bunny huggers, they all voted no, we did this to ourselves. When you and I vote we look at the whole picture and vote our conscience on all of the issues not just one. The same is true for the public land access bills. Who is pushing that legislation? Republicans. Folks, we got no one to blame but ourselves here. All the tree huggers voted against the bill that passed the Senate.

Please help the IBA help you, if you are already a member, thank you for your support and please talk to other bowhunters about joining. In politics money talks and what's right walks.

OK, I hope my ranting is over for the evening.

Absolutely nuts that those groups essentially paid off enough politicians to get this moving to the senate and probably the same there. All while quietly doing so. I would never have known about half of this garbage if not for IW.
Hopefully this dies in the senate. Seems like an onslaught of these bills lately.

Link to the lobbyist registration for the first version of this bill: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/lobbyist/reports/declarations?ga=88&ba=HF179 this will show you the two organizations that were for it.

Here is a link to the bill's second version: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/lobbyist/reports/declarations?ga=88&ba=HF716 you'll notice the IBA was "undecided". Just because any group registers as undecided it doesn't mean they aren't decided, it just means they are playing politics. The fix was in on this bill, the outcome was inevitable so to save some political capital we went undecided. We would have needed to change the minds of at least 10 Republican Representatives. The IBA doesn't have enough money to do that. If every one of the 55,000 bowhunters in Iowa would join the IBA it would be a much different story.

This bill still needs to go through the Senate. It is my hope the Senate takes a look and strikes the centerfire stuff. And monkeys will fly outta my asparagus patch. On a straight party line vote we will need to change at least 14 Republican Senator's minds Again, the IBA can't afford to do that but a large agricultural insurance company in Iowa could. This is not to say the FB has anything to do with this bill but just think about it for a minute. Who wants all the deer in Iowa dead? Alright, maybe not all of them, just the ones that eat crops and have close encounters with motor vehicles. So yeah, so all the deer.

Who can we really blame for this? Everybody reading this that voted Republican please raise your hand. My hand is up, he didn't win but I voted for him. We can't blame the liberal bunny huggers, they all voted no, we did this to ourselves. When you and I vote we look at the whole picture and vote our conscience on all of the issues not just one. The same is true for the public land access bills. Who is pushing that legislation? Republicans. Folks, we got no one to blame but ourselves here. All the tree huggers voted against the bill that passed the Senate.

Please help the IBA help you, if you are already a member, thank you for your support and please talk to other bowhunters about joining. In politics money talks and what's right walks.

Question Bonk
You spent a lot of time in the IBA booth during the Deer Classic.
For every new member that signed up how many had some lame excuse not to sign up and help stop this BS?

I'll be sending my disapproval to these idiots. Leave the seasons alone! Anybody who thinks the stuff they're trying to change won't affect the deer hunting in this state is kidding themselves. It's very clear it's all about the money and any weapon will be available for use in no time. Large private chunks will still be alright although they'll feel the changes as well but the small chunks and public will be destroyed. Just ask some of the local residents of the famed buffalo county WI if they wish they would have stuck with shotgun only instead of allowing high powered rifles. Big mistake with this bill. Please speak up. I'll NEVER vote for any rep. who supports this regardless of the letter behind their name.

Absolute insanity!!!! Predicable & insane both at the same time. It’s never going to end folks. U either stop this crap or this will never end until this state’s hunting is ruined like 90% of the others that are a total joke.
Just like last year or year before “oh, just straight walls for kids, won’t be anything else”. “Just crossbows for late ML season only”. “Just 2 years of shed buck season & we’ll remove it”. It will NEVER END. “These rifles sure would be great & effective in November!!” Draw line in sand!!! NO MORE!!!!!! U all allow this, it will never end. These politicians will let this snowball grow until its ruined. U all need to understand what surrounding states are like. Many folks have no clue how poor the quality of hunting can get. What a shame. Shame on the dirty slimy politicians. Disgusting.

For every new member that signed up how many had some lame excuse not to sign up and help stop this BS?

Ohhhh, I figure a few thousand walked by and but didn't stop. At least the folks who stopped and listened to the spiel but didn't join were interested and took some literature. Who knows how many of them eventually signed up. But at least they stopped to listen.

In some ways the IBA needs to be more like the big organizations who give away a gift for joining that is equal to the cost of joining so the cost is a wash to the member. I don't know how much NWTF logoed and PF logoed stuff I have laying around. 4 magazines a year, a Spring Banquet, one of the best 3d shoots in Iowa at the Fall Festival, giving money to kids programs, supporting TIP as well as the ICA and being active at the capitol aren't enough. Again, if all the 55,000 bowhunters in Iowa were members we could have an incentive to join that a person can touch and feel not just take our word for what we do. The best we can do is provide a coupon for some money off IBA merchandise.

Face it though, some folks just aren't joiners (that's OK, I understand) and some folks like me are members of just about everything, as long as I remember to pay my dues.

This is all gospel truth. No reason Rs cant be good on guns and conservation.

Top Bottom