Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

do you do same for pear trees as I had a couple kiefers get fireblight after pruning and adding 46 0 0 my thinking they had to much fast growth they were nice 4 yr old trees thanks again

thanks skip I used straight n on my apples trees and held off on my pears when I fertilized and pruned last week thinking of doing balanced fert as you said and have been pruning them, they grow so many straight up limbs its hard to know how many to remove I ve been pruning similar to apples trees but that's probably not the correct method

On the pears, can you weigh down the ends or every so often along the branch with something instead of using spreaders? I've never done it, but also have a pear tree in the yard that has grown straight up (there when I bought the place).

On the pears, can you weigh down the ends or every so often along the branch with something instead of using spreaders? I've never done it, but also have a pear tree in the yard that has grown straight up (there when I bought the place).

I tried that last year using twine and either nuts/bolts or small plastic bottles filled with water. It was a major pain. When I was finally able to get the branch to balance at just the right angle where I wanted it... we'd get a windy day and I'd come out and the string would be slid all the way down the branch to the crotch angle or worse case scenario happened a few times, the weight of the item I had on the branch broke the branch... those were areas I was trying to correct some already poor crotch angles. Basically I just fast forwarded what would've happened when it had its first pears. Still sucked to see though. I personally like branch spreaders better, it was just a pain on pears more than apples

I tried that last year using twine and either nuts/bolts or small plastic bottles filled with water. It was a major pain. When I was finally able to get the branch to balance at just the right angle where I wanted it... we'd get a windy day and I'd come out and the string would be slid all the way down the branch to the crotch angle or worse case scenario happened a few times, the weight of the item I had on the branch broke the branch... those were areas I was trying to correct some already poor crotch angles. Basically I just fast forwarded what would've happened when it had its first pears. Still sucked to see though. I personally like branch spreaders better, it was just a pain on pears more than apples
Gotcha. I could see those issues being a problem.

Took about 4 hours to prune two big pear trees. One was pushing 28' :) shortened them by about 12' too. They probably have never been touched so their shape is not ideal, but they should produce really well after this. Legit probably removed 400# of woody material off them.
d6b8c26ba0d767c4452c72a0b03927f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've got 20 mm111 rootstock, 10 p18 rootstock, 5 ohxf87 and 5 ohxf97 on order from Cummins. I am planning on grafting as soon as possible then placing them in cold dark storage, hopefully 40-50 degrees for a couple weeks for the grafts to callus over. Then I will likely plant in their final location or move to root trapper bags. I haven't decided what would be best yet. I am trying to finalize my layout. I didn't get to prep the site last year, so I am thinking about doing an early spraying to kill the young emerging/germinating weeds now in the areas I plan to plant. I am curious what concoction of herbicides I could apply now to allow for a good kill and planting in 2-4 weeks? And also if you all are still using the same mix "Atrazine, Surflan & Prowl" to spray around the trees once they are established?
Thanks!

Likely need a couple sprayings to kill warm season grasses. Extremely heavy Gly & something like ammonium sulfate, etc. If it’s a few weeks- the spraying now could have a little 2,4-d in there for knock down power. Glufosinate is also a good one. Clethodim & crop oil can’t hurt to double up on grasses too if you wanted.
Yes- you are good to go on your above pre-emergents!

This is just a few sample shots of the madness of the last 30-45 days.
Years In the making finally coming together. Myself & one helper - some of my nursery pulled and put around the farms Planted about 700 Apple, pear, persimmon, crabapple, chestnut & some fun things like peach, cherry, nectarine, plum, etc Most were 5 or 6 Insane the amount of work this is!!! Almost done!!
Apples: enterprise, ark black, liberty, redfree, freedom, empire, goldrush, querina, initial, pink lady, etc. A few susceptible to cedar rust but 2 sprayings with generic Rally 40 & be just fine. Pears: Kieffer, Seckel, Olympic, Atago, shenendoah, etc, etc. more to do & I’ll take some close ups but here’s a few snap shots.
d47d28140c43f5d15d7950a3ec517ca7.jpg
aab1d4e21a9622b667bc8526bc3f8e73.jpg
954b965e8b2563f61ef06f457dac0b9b.jpg
cfc8746da2682944af80eee75ee685b4.jpg
fcbfdbff3297bb4a61d2f065c0eaff85.jpg
7a7c4bb1f772a8a5ca649dd2223c2fc1.jpg
fc1a3720da90bcbcbce380971a75c74f.jpg
7b3331453a3a5f1b93a4b9662a3fead6.jpg
d7f18f0eeb8046069e6dffa06258af3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s myclobutanil 40 wsp. Generic- goes a long ways if u use labeled rates. Can get from amazon or all over internet or ur coop or gardening centers might have it. Some other good ones are copper fungicide, captan, agri-fos & generic infuse & i’d personally do miticides if needed & then bee friendly sprayings of insecticides when needed. Sounds complex but it’s not - quick & easy & will save a lot of trees imo.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=myclobutanil&i=lawngarden&crid=EBWQ43IGZSYZ&sprefix=Myclo,lawngarden,223&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5

I finally decided it was time to give a couple fruit trees a try. My buddy owns a nursery and even offered to help me plant them. 2 honeycrisps and 1 empire apple. They are not far from my pond so will be easy to water. Hopefully they will bear some fruit in 8-10 years.
Any words of wisdom are appreciated
IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd bet you get fruit sooner than that! I planted some honey crisp and crisp pinks and had my first apples on my honey crisp last year in their third growing season. Granted it was only three apples but it was fun to see some product from the hard work so soon!

Top Bottom