Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apprentice hunter license HF164

I don't get it. What is the value of an apprentice licence for a 9 year old when they don't need a license anyway?

I don't get it. What is the value of an apprentice licence for a 9 year old when they don't need a license anyway?
My question is this. ElkHunter quoted a new paragraph to landowner tag thread saying apprentice hunters tags would be good all year, so maybe they are trying to make it so they can get more than one tag good for all seasons?

That could be. And, if I read the other proposed law, the MENTOR, gets to use their one tag for all the seasons as well. I am in favor of getting new hunters involved, but this looks like it could have bad consequences - Dad dragging a 9 year old along who isn't interested so Dad's tag can be used for all seasons.

As I understand it the bill was introduced so a constituent could get a nonresident apprentice tag for his 9 year old grandson who lives in a state that doesn't have reciprocity with Iowa.

This is so typical of legislation with seemingly innocent intentions but the "how are these tags really going to be used" has huge ramifications. I'd like to believe the feel good grandson story but fool me once......

I'm way behind on this bill too. It passed the House, went to the Senate, got assigned to a sub committee, passes the subcommittee, passed the full committee with an amendment found here: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=S3120&ga=88 Senator Cournoyer filed the amendment. The way I read the amendment it takes out the ability to do an end run for nonresident relatives. If I'm reading this correctly, thanks to the Senator for the amendment.

The bill is now eligible for debate and the amendment could lose but the bill could still get passed in it's original form. Based on my interpretation I'll be writing my Senator and asking her to vote yes on this amendment and if the amendment fails I'll ask her to vote no on the bill. If the bill passes as amended then it goes back to the House for a vote or a conference committee is formed of both Representatives and Senators to try and work out the differences.

Top Bottom