Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

License fees

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
Anytime anyone mentions license fee increase the is a huge stink about it and I don't get it. If the funds were 100% dedicated to hunting, trapping and fishing, I would support it in a big way. Personally, I would like DNR officers added so that there is one per county.

Hunting has a low cost of entry compared to most other recreational sports. You don't NEED fancy camo, expensive blinds, the latest and greatest bow. You can get into in pretty cheap. From there you can buy a tag and get days and weeks and months of entertainment out of it.

Compare that to other outdoor recreational activities. a round of golf, say $40 EACH TIME. go skiing.... $60 for the DAY, etc.

I am for finding a way for other activity goers to contribute (hikers, mountain bikers, bird watchers, etc) to using recreational areas, but I would also support license increases with a GUARENTEE they were not dumped into the general fund and used ONLY for hunting, fishing, trapping. I seem to be in the minority from comments I see.

What are others thoughts?

Pretty much the exact same. I personally would like to see each state park or maybe each county sells a permit or sticker for use of the public lands. Would include boat ramps, mushroom hunters, hikers and bikers, horse trails, along with hunters. I also think the officers are spread too think. We share ours and size wise we are in the top 10 of Iowas counties. That is a lot of area for one person to cover if he focused all of his time there, let alone him also covering another county.

• Deleted by bigbuckhunter88
Show…
  • Deleted by bigbuckhunter88
Show…
I'm not really in favor of having to pay more, for anything, but inflation happens. I agree with how cheap it actually to buy a license and tag. It gives you a lot of time to be out enjoying your time and entertainment. I have seen on the bowhunters of iowa facebook page all the people getting upset if it is brought up. Its ssssssooooooooo cheap in the grand scheme of things if you think about it. People get in an uproar to spend a few extra bucks on a lincse or tag, yet how many of these same people smoke a pack a day, drink a 12 pack a week, go out to eat multiple times a week. Buy tickets to concerts or football/basketball/baseball game that for ONE event, a few hours, often times cost over $100. This list can go on and on.

My favorite are the guys with a newer jacked up truck, new bow every year and a safe full of guns, full on Sitka, UA or whatever suit and all the other latest and greatest gear that pisses and moans to no end about the DNR and the cost of license and tags. Talked to plenty of guys standing on the decks of their 40K bass boat doing the same.

I am all for it...I mean i would literally pay double or even triple what the license cost now. But with all that being said it would sure be great if that money went right back into the hunting/conservation.....With having only 2-3% of the ground here in public, i would sure like to see some money go towards more ground, maintenance, etc. These same people who are complaining about a license increase are also those that wanted centerfire rifles...think about that

Low price for kids. More for adults!!!
Here’s reality... anything hunting related costs “lots of $”. Dozen arrows, trail cams, shotgun slugs, processing deer, scope, camo, scent elimination spray, trucks, gas to get there, time off work, whatever. We do it because we love it. Spending $50 on a tag for an adult for example is $ well spent & a tiny part of any expense. Tiny!! $ badly needed too! I’d be for it anytime for adults within reason. For sure needs to be adjusted every 5 years for inflation, etc.

Here’s reality... anything hunting related costs “lots of $”. Dozen arrows, trail cams, shotgun slugs, processing deer, scope, camo, scent elimination spray, trucks, gas to get there, time off work, whatever. We do it because we love it. Spending $50 on a tag for an adult for example is $ well spent & a tiny part of any expense. Tiny!! $ badly needed too! I’d be for it anytime for adults within reason. For sure needs to be adjusted every 5 years for inflation, etc.

It kills me when I’m talking to someone that wants to get into hunting because of the “cheap” meat. Most recently it was a hipster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I talked to Jeff last year and he told me he had bought 3,000 acres in Georgia. Add that to his list for price per pound and you definitely need a lot of family appreciation. Lol.

I think Iowa is missing the boat on using $$$ for public land purchases. In Iowa you actually have good hunting on public land as compared to other states.

X amount of $$$ should be set aside to buy acres every year. I see blocks of land for sale right now (expensive) but could be bought for all hunters to enjoy.

I don’t know how much is purchased every year, but it seems like not enough compared to other states.

I laugh at this slightly because I whole heartily agree. I would pay about anything to hunt and fish because I am die hard about both. I think a fishing license is joke everytime I go to buy one. . .19.50 or whatever it is for a whole years worth of fishing, I have little ones running around and I still probably get to go fishing around 40 to 50 times a year, cheapest entertainment there is. However I deer hunt mainly public land and fish public waters and I see no funding available to make these better around my area of Iowa so yes it bugs me. I will pay whatever the DNR is charging the other guy but I wouldnt be deterred from either sport if I had to pay more and would love to see the funding go towards more public and more officers. Its funny how someone wont buy a license and chance it sometimes because they feel its to expensive, but they will pay the $190 dollar fine or whatever for being caught, that is like 10 years of fishing licenses ;)

I laugh when we think Jr. needs a lower price. Let's face it, Jr's tag is getting bought by Mom, Dad, or Grandpa, regardless of the price. A few dollars more does not stop me from buying my grandson's tag for him. He already gets a price break since he doesn't have to buy a hunting license, nor a habitat fee. That alone is a $32 discount compared to what I pay. A few dollars less is needed for Jr's deer tag? Give me a break!

Top Bottom