Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scouting

goatman

I hunt days ending in Y
Started turkey scouting today. Bumped a group of deer. Two bucks still packing. Saw some gobbler tracks and fresh droppings. Things seem to happening fast after a long winter. Suspect gobbling this warm morning if I had been out.

rub a dub.jpeg

Crappy pic but had 6 strutters in the backyard Monday. Cool seeing them come in to check out the hens in the snow.

6454bbc1151cae19eac1fc0b2a8890b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you guys find that your scouting finds this time of season mean little as the turkeys spread out as the season progresses? What are you guys looking for, just gobbling or boots on the ground? Just getting back into turkey hunting for the first time in 10+ years.

Yep it changes over time depending on pressure. If I'm not out listening I'll look for fresh scratchings. Where there are hens there will be gobblers. Also as nesting starts it is good to know where strutting areas are. They seldom gobble when at these locations. I run trail cams about year round for fun. I don't rely 100% on turkey cam pics as about all trail cams are weak on picking up turkeys every time through. Watched two separate cams last year miss a 24lb. tom at 10 feet. My grandson didn't miss.

Thanks goatman, yeah I use to really struggle finding those strutting areas. Good idea with the cams, thinking field scan mode might work well.

Congrats to your grandson, hope he gets another this season!

Almost hit a long beard crossing the road this morning, they're on the move. Saw a gobbler strutting in the snow a couple weeks ago too, pretty cool.

FWIW...I live near the Menard's in Iowa City and have for 20+ years now...but just the other day, for the first time, I saw a mature tom turkey in our neighborhood. He was sprinting through our neighborhood and running south towards Highway 1, when it took flight and sailed over the highway.

Strutter showing off for a hen in NE Iowa City on the way to work this morning.

I saw a decent sized flock along highway 1 on the way home from Solon last Saturday morning, one Tom in strut for the ladies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom