Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Liberty's last youth turkey hunt.

Opening morning success for my kid! We did a fieldset on the edge of a woods that the birds had been using a couple of days prior. To our surprise opening morning, the birds were a no show. We could tell the farmer had done some manure spreading and tree trimming the day before so we figured that's what was going on. Also wasn't sure if the fog was keeping them out of the field. Anyway, about 9 we finally struck up a tom, he stayed in the woods behind us strutting at 80yds for a 1/2hr and didn't budge our way. Then when the fog burned off at about 10 3 jakes entered the field and came to the decoys on a sprint. At one point my kid said I want to shoot one, I told her we have a month to kill a tom lets wait, she agreed. One of the jakes humped the heck out of the DSD hen. So after they left I sent her out to go stand it up again. Then about a 1/2 hour later she was ready to go home. I told her we'll give it a tad longer. Next call sequence I got a hen to respond and a tripple gobble from behind us. Not much longer then hen was on her way and then in the decoys and got crabby with my hen decoy. That was the first I've heard hen fighting purrs. Then the now strutting toms 50 yds behind the blind really fired up and away they came. That's when I turned on the video.

Pretty special hunt. My Dad was along on the hunt so we threw 3 generations at them and the ear headphone silencer queen had two old guys trying to yell whisper coaching her"What?", ha ha. Anyhow that's the last of my kid's youth hunts for me. What a bonding experience its been throughout the years for me and my girls. So glad the DNR allows these hunts. They're not huge on deer hunting but they can't wait for spring turkey!

Congrats to all 3 of you! I agree, the youth seasons the last 3 years are great! The memories made are for sure some that will last a lifetime and the stories and videos I'm sure will be shared for years and years!

Top Bottom