Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Intriguing stand placement

Mike311

Noticed this stand traveling between jobs, I’ll just say it’s on a fairly busy state highway just south of Waterloo. Not a stitch of timber besides what’s in the ditch it’s in. Also not sure if it’s legit or just being funny. I got a kick out of it anyway. Where have you seen an interesting stand placement?
282d3d4cbc4e40f5f83ef000fb4643b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks odd right now, but could see it working when there is a sea of corn behind it. I've noticed some right along highways as well and couldn't imagine them being very relaxing.

Although not next to a road...my stand that ALMOST produced a 27" wide GIANT 12 pointer for me a couple of years ago looks just about as dorky as that one. I placed that stand in the summer time with one deer in mind and for one 6-10 day period in October and I nailed it...well sort of...per the nearby trail cam he was right there the night before I sat that stand for him! Harrumph!!!! I missed him by one day!!!

Moral...don't judge a book by it's cover, nor a stand by how it looks in April. :) :) :) That being said, I wouldn't enjoy myself sitting that close to a road, but with corn up around that, it could be the spot for a time before the sea of corn is sawed down. :)

One right off I80 going around DM. Right on the fence in the ditch overlooking field. Always deer in those fields so I guess it's as good of spot as any.

I know of one on I-35 in south iowa that is not on private, it is on a tree that is in the ditch of the interstate. That was a couple years ago.

We all have to remember that poor people have poor ways. Sometimes people have to hunt what they can so a stand next to the road may be the only access they have to hunt on private. sep0667, if that stand is the one I've saw on 35 it was still there this year when I headed to the classic. Didn't know which side of the fence it was on.

I have a stand on the edge of a level B road. Landowner owns both sides of the road and the deer use that road like you wouldn't believe...but that road probably sees 2 cars per week, and only when it's dry.

Last edited:
Maybe there's a deer crossing sign there :confused:

There is a lady that called into the local radio station in Fargo ND complaining that the highway department chose terrible locations for deer crossing signs. She suggested putting the signs in lower traffic areas! :D

It is hilarious. The clip is still on Youtube

We hung a stand in a lone tree in a cattle pasture due to the advice of the farmer. The deer came out of a marsh a 1/4 mile away and followed a fence line right past this tree headed to the ag fields. It felt and looked strange, but my dad killed a buck the 1st night and I missed a buck the 2nd night. Sadly the tree blew down shortly after this.

This is a screen grab from one of my hang and hunts last year. Traffic noise is actually incredibly handy for concealing entrance, exits and any noise you may make during setup or year down. I almost killed a 160" out of the same tree the year before.
ce8e106a60846fef34251a6ac6b85185.jpg
ef67d8266ef75fa1d092b312aa06489a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have seen that stand too. Always wondered about it. I thought it could be for practicing shooting out of a stand. Either way I do get a kick out of it. There used to be one in Des Moines on 80 going East just after you got passed the softball and baseball fields there. Like right on the fence that was closest to the interstate. However I know some big bucks ran that area!

I have a stand on the edge of a level B road. Landowner owns both sides of the road and the deer use that road like you wouldn't believe...but that road probably sees 2 cars per week, and only when it's dry.

Do you have permission from the landowner on both sides or do you just shoot them crossing the road ? Curious not bashing - It could definitely work a lot of places around here.

Do you have permission from the landowner on both sides or do you just shoot them crossing the road ? Curious not bashing - It could definitely work a lot of places around here.

Read my post again. Same landowner on both sides

It wasn't clear if you had permission from the landowner, you just said it was the same landowner on both sides.

ditch hunting is legal. Good grief.

Yep , county owns I think x amount feet from the center of the road ? Absolutely legal to sit on a tree on the edge of a dirt road. Only things that stops a bunch is the negativity it’d bring you, because ya know , the landowners own the deer .

Top Bottom