Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bowhunting_Finatic Turkey season

Normally i take youth season to take kids out and get them on some birds. Only thing better than the feeling of a successful hunt is watching these kids get fired up when things come together. My brother recently turned 16 so he was unable to hunt youth season so I took one of my younger sisters to sight in the shotguns. She was a little gun shy so hopefully next year when she turns 9 she will be ready. I ended up taking the neighbor kid who i had gotten a bird 2 years earlier. We hunted the first sunday of season and the rain didn't let up until 9 which kept us in the truck most of the morning. Finally we found a strutter with 5 hens that didn't end up liking the decoy so much. We found another bird about a half mile down the road in the exact same field he shot his first bird in. The hens came into the reaping decoy and even though the tom was nervous he came a little too close and got smacked at 45 yards! E90786C0-2CA9-409C-AC90-865D77BC66C1.jpg

I ended up waiting to get my second season tag until Saturday night giving me one day to hunt. The birds started getting fired up that weekend so i figured i could get it done. I ended up sneaking up on some birds in a secluded green field on public land and eventually had the hens off to my left and 3 toms on my right. They were hesitant to cross in front of me but eventually gave me a 20 yard shot. I was in some very thick willow trees and told myself not to shoot the tree directly in front of me, but as i put my reticle on the front bird and squeezed the trigger i shot the exact tree i told myself not to. I don't know how i got so much luck on my side but when the load deflected it hit the bird in the back! Still have yet to sit a morning in the timber so hopefully the rain isn't too heavy this weekend.fullsizeoutput_2e9.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2ed.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2ea.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2e8.jpeg

Got my second bird of the season Sunday morning. Just a 2 year old but he had an infection on his leg that made him the most unique bird i have ever seen. First of all he was missing a giant patch of feathers on one of his sides, only weighed 16lbs, and had a gobble that was so quiet that it sounded like a bird several hundred yards away when he was only at 50 yards. The reap took over an hour and he just so happen to get caught up with some hens long enough to present me with a 20 yard chip shot. I have only hunted 4x in the last 2 years for myself and have killed a turkey every time. Better to be lucky than good sometimes..fullsizeoutput_2f5.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2f3.jpeg

Top Bottom