Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planting apple trees Christmas Day

JNRBRONC

I was filling out my Amazon Christmas wish list, saw a place advertising apple trees. It said that they would be shipped “at the appropriate planting time”, so I figured WTH. I opted for Honeycrisp, as I currently don’t have any trees of that variety. I kind of forgot about the wish list until a package arrived Dec 24. Looking at the package, I was pretty sure what was in it, so placed it in the garage overnight.

FaceTiming opening presents Christmas morn, found 2 trees in the package. Outside temp read 50F, found me planting the trees in a tee shirt. No frost in the ground, dug deep holes with a post auger, mixed gopher mound soil in with the soil from the hole and watered them in well. Finished with wrapping the trees to prevent rodent chewing, cages to keep the deer off. Next day was rain, so fingers crossed that they survive. Figure the odds are better than trying to hold them in the garage until spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmm...I think you are probably fine given the conditions you described, but report back this summer please with how things turned out. I am curious.

Yep- Bet they be fine. Who on earth they think plant apple trees at christmas- pretty funny right there!

I remember years ago I ordered a couple sassafras from gurneys, ended up sold out in spring, got a package in too late of fall and planting them in half frozen snowy ground, never showed life in the spring. I have since got more sassafras, so my life is good now :). also last spring I got a 100 from missouri nursery, first time I ever saw them list them. This year they didn't have them. But I should have enough male and female to get fruit, so that's pretty cool.

Checked on the chestnuts in the fridge, hoping I don’t need to do anything with them before planting in the spring.

Checked on the chestnuts in the fridge, hoping I don’t need to do anything with them before planting in the spring.

They'll probably start putting a radicle out this month but will be fine till spring.

Update pics of the Honeycrisp trees planted Christmas Day. They are breaking bud. 9 chestnuts out of 9 germinated in pots. Debating on putting them out or holding for a year.
8b329d3c8910033dc763caf61ad86e9a.jpg
009baadbe85c1d76c7e7f33d9b86a4ef.jpg

Looking great!
So- chestnuts- r u talking u got seeds to germinate? Whatever u do- make sure old nut is gone when u do put them out. ;).

Whatever u do- make sure old nut is gone when u do put them out. ;).[/QUOTE]

What does Fishbonker have to do with anything?

Looking great!
So- chestnuts- r u talking u got seeds to germinate? Whatever u do- make sure old nut is gone when u do put them out. ;).

Coworker went to a Iowa farm that sells them for roasting. She brought some to work, asking if I wanted to eat some. I said heck no, I want to plant them. So I’m guessing they are probably Chinese chestnuts.

Good. Those will be great. I’d wait on planting. Again- when u do (bonker aside ;) ) - make sure no nut. Plant in fall- nut free & protect.

Top Bottom