Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Indian Burial Mounds

What happens if they are burial mounds? Does it limit what you can do with the land?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happens if they are burial mounds? Does it limit what you can do with the land?

Really no clue. It's not on my place, so I'm not worried that way, but don't think the landowner would ever be doing anything in that area. My guess is you would have to get an archaeologist out and say one way or the other.

There are a couple similar to what you are describing on a farm I hunt. Same type location on a ridge between two deep valley's not far from the river. Lots of Indian activity in this area back in the day.

The landowner said years ago some natives stopped and asked to go look at them.

Very interesting. I have wanted to search for arrowheads, but really don't have much of an idea of where to begin. I found one once. I too hunt a place that has a pronounced mound on a tall timber ridge above the river. The mound is round, maybe 10x10 and is probably 2-2.5 feet taller than the ground around it. I have often sat in my stand on that timber ridge and wondered by chance if it could be an indian burial mound. My stand is maybe 30 yards from it. Its a pretty scenic setting and would make sense I guess from that standpoint. But it could and is most likely just an old brush pile or something from years ago. I'm certainly not going to go digging in it to find out.

Anyone ever seen any Indian burial mounds in Iowa? I’m curious what they might look like. There is a spot I hunt that has several mounds of dirt in the timber that are about 2-3 feet high and 10 feet long. Maybe 4-5 feet wide. I have found a bunch online but they seem to be much larger that what I am seeing. Wasn’t sure if they made them smaller. Thanks!

I'm not an expert by any means but I've always found this stuff interesting. The Skillet Creek Indian Mounds located east of Dayton, IA are very similar in size to what you describe if I remember correctly. You can hike up and look at them... maybe a 15 minute hike, if that. https://www.mycountyparks.com/County/Webster/Park/Skillet-Creek-Indian-Mounds.aspx

The Effigy Mounds are what everyone thinks of when it comes to mounds but those are famous for a reason... they're elaborate. Most are like the Skillet Creek mounds and possibly the ones you have. The "huh, I wonder if that's an Indian mound?" kind rather than the "Wow, look at that mound thing shaped like a 100 foot long bear" kind.

Yes, You can see the two humps in the hilltop leading to this Pioneer Cemetery. Most I have seen personally in Iowa are very similar in location and some of the descriptions in previous posts. This is a hilltop overlooking a river bottom. Many, probably thousands were destroyed when the pioneers and settlers started clearing the native land. The ones still in native timber areas will have mature trees in them. Some "mounds" are early settler dozer piles etc... You have to look at the history of the land. Some Aerial views or LIDAR are very revealing at the right times. Look at what we are discovering in South America with LIDAR. I'm still trying to capture sasquatch and find the flying saucer in my area.

IMG_0011.JPG

Top Bottom