Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2018 Farm Bill

What is the issue with not hitting the max acres?

If the money is not used it will be allocated for food stamps or some other non habitat related program.

It’ll be more crop and less habitat, good for more run off and fewer pheasants/quail/deer.

All it says is if it's 300$ land it's better off in production. Seems understandable

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Time will tell. I’m concerned that PF and Ducks Unlimited gave the program away. 80-85% of cash rent and 40% cost share will not get many land owners excited.

I see big fields all crop in 10-15 years. Pheasants need more than 60 foot buffers.

Just my two cents.

Time will tell. I’m concerned that PF and Ducks Unlimited gave the program away. 80-85% of cash rent and 40% cost share will not get many land owners excited.

I see big fields all crop in 10-15 years. Pheasants need more than 60 foot buffers.

Just my two cents.
Where are you finding specifics on cost share and rental rates

The final draft had 85% of rental rate, and 40% cost share.

I don’t know if that changed. It’s possible certain programs may have different cost share and payments?

Crossing fingers that there’s a “go to” option

I read “80-90% of county rental rates” in a few articles. That in itself is a loaded statement as well.... for example.... county average may be $200 for cash rent average BUT - if u r putting in low quality or erodible ground (Which is generally what they want to enroll) - those cash rent rates could be $100-125 for that same County.

So- would it be 1) “85% of what the county average is irregardless of soil type” OR 2) would it be “85% of county average for the types of soil u r wanting to put into crp”? That’s a big difference!!! The words “up to 80% or 85% of rental rates” is used so it might be a longer discussion on how this works. If it’s the 1st- that’s going to be very attractive to some landowners.

If a guy could put 30 csr ground into crp at 85% of $200/acre (example county average) - no Brainer many folks would do it. Folks with 85 csr ground would not do it. Which- isn’t a bad system if that’s how it shakes out.

The other main question I’m trying to figure out... did the crop years change? Last farm bill it was something along the lines of “4 of 6 crop years from 2008 to 2013 “ or something like that. I am very curious to see if they update the crop years!!!!!

Crop years should change Skip!

Note—I “think” it’s 85% of the soil type. Hopefully they get the fact sheet out soon.

Nothing has been released at this point. Lots of chatter out there but it's all speculation at this point. Lots of new rules and policy to be updated before official changes are released. Interm manuals should be out by Julyish. Then things will start to roll out.

Last unofficial I heard (agree on above).... some “chatter”... December sign up. Roughly 80 but I’ve also heard 85% of average county rental rates.
Here’s average rental rates by county....
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/wholefarm/pdf/c2-10.pdf
Or
https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.d...018-iowa-farmland-cash-rent-rates?hs_amp=true

Overall average will be rate from what I understand. So- for example- say u have junk ground with junk csr and low rental rate.... that will be good move to enroll. On flip side... if u have 85 csr premium dirt- ur most likely not gonna wanna enroll, financially speaking. If it does end up being based on county average rental rates.

There is talk of a general sign-up this fall but have not heard any for sure month or date. The rental rates that Skip posted are not necessarily the rates FSA will use as each soil type will have a rate assigned to it and based on what I have read the general CRP sign-up rate will be 85% based on the farm bill language. The survey info ISU puts out is only a fraction of how the rental rates are set on the soil types.

from program technician I have dealt with:

We have not heard much of anything actually.

Farm program stuff will likely start in the fall (September/October-ish maybe).

CRP information is still undecided and I am not sure when anything will happen with that.

So, as of now the only thing we have going on is crop certification. Deadline for reporting crops planted, along with hay and pasture is July 15th.

I cannot believe this is so slow to implement? There should be a staff that works on this and gets it hammered out and available to the landowners for sign up?

UPDATE
Continuous crp will begin accepting applications June 3 2019. SEE your local office for details.
The heyday maybe over but at least you have some opportunities to enroll the most sensitive areas.
There will also be a general sign up in December 2019.
More information will be released soon.

Last edited:
UPDATE
Continuous crp will begin accepting applications June 3 2019. SEE your local office for details.
The heyday maybe over but at least you have some opportunities to enroll the most sensitive areas.
very good. Do you know when a new CRP fact sheet will be published? That has the crop year info and all that good stuff.

Top Bottom