Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Seasons

risto2351

I might of missed it on here somewhere, but what was the reasoning behind the youth season only three days and closing the season a week earlier? Some of the best hunting was just starting to occur IMHO.

There were requests at the DNR listening meetings to start the regular seasons a week early. So, that leads to them ending a week early as they all stayed the same length. No days were lost, just shifted earlier.

The youth was moved back to 3 days since the tag is now good for all the regular seasons as well.

Thank you for your reply. I don't really understand why they didn't leave the youth at the two weekends and let the season end a week later. Late season turkey hunting is just starting to get real good. It is always like that and didn't understand the thought put into it at all.

Thank you for your reply. I don't really understand why they didn't leave the youth at the two weekends and let the season end a week later. Late season turkey hunting is just starting to get real good. It is always like that and didn't understand the thought put into it at all.
Man I agree. I liked having 2 weekends in youth for my kids. Then I could take one each weekend. I also like the season being later. Better weather and you can hunt those mid afternoon birds!

Man I agree. I liked having 2 weekends in youth for my kids. Then I could take one each weekend. I also like the season being later. Better weather and you can hunt those mid afternoon birds!

But why do you need 2 weeks solely designated for youth to take your kids back to back weekends? Just asking the question..........youth season—-second season. Isn’t that the same potential results?

Cool/cold spring kind of put a damper on the earlier start this year. I was all for moving it up a week for a better hunting experience but I mainly hunt them with a bow. I figured this would get brought up now that the temps are soaring but typically around here early in the season is better for bird interaction off the roost. Later in the year birds fly down, shut up, and follow hens around. I could see why you would rather have the week later in May if you are a 10-2 hunter though. I believe there was talk of bringing the two weekends back for youth but haven’t heard anymore about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But why do you need 2 weeks solely designated for youth to take your kids back to back weekends? Just asking the question..........youth season—-second season. Isn’t that the same potential results?
I don't really have a dog in the fight anymore but normally that first weekend is really cold. Last year it was around 14-20 degrees. Year before was cold to. What is hurting if a youth gets the woods to themselves at that time for back to back weekends what does that hurt? Right now I'm for anything to keep the youth interested and with all of the activities they are involved in I'm willing to give my weekends up. Just my .02.

I don't really have a dog in the fight anymore but normally that first weekend is really cold. Last year it was around 14-20 degrees. Year before was cold to. What is hurting if a youth gets the woods to themselves at that time for back to back weekends what does that hurt? Right now I'm for anything to keep the youth interested and with all of the activities they are involved in I'm willing to give my weekends up. Just my .02.

I along with lots of family, friends hunt first season. 1st season this year was lights out for many. Had the system not changed it would have been youth season. Having that many days for youth season makes zero sense. If youth are the future, then youth should come first before yourself. If you can’t get it done in the first 3 days season and their tag is good for every other season until they tag out, I see no issues with our 3 days season. Tell me why you need 2 weeks of youth only seasons?

FYI I took a youth hunter out opening morning. Scouted my tail off for 2-3 days prior. And had a successful hunt. If youth truly are important to you, then you’ll figure out how to get it done and that doesn’t consist of having 2 weeks of strictly youth hunting to do it. Yes it’s nice to have for a convenient factor, but how many guys share farms with others or hunt public? 2 2 weeks of guys chasing birds before anyone else makes 1st season in some areas extremely difficult.

I along with lots of family, friends hunt first season. 1st season this year was lights out for many. Had the system not changed it would have been youth season. Having that many days for youth season makes zero sense. If youth are the future, then youth should come first before yourself. If you can’t get it done in the first 3 days season and their tag is good for every other season until they tag out, I see no issues with our 3 days season. Tell me why you need 2 weeks of youth only seasons?

FYI I took a youth hunter out opening morning. Scouted my tail off for 2-3 days prior. And had a successful hunt. If youth truly are important to you, then you’ll figure out how to get it done and that doesn’t consist of having 2 weeks of strictly youth hunting to do it. Yes it’s nice to have for a convenient factor, but how many guys share farms with others or hunt public? 2 2 weeks of guys chasing birds before anyone else makes 1st season in some areas extremely difficult.
Youth is extremely important to me. Unfortunately, some of us only have their kids every other weekend, so having 2 weekends to hunt youth season was really nice. It’s also nice having the tag valid for all seasons. My son and I hunted our butts off this year to tag out on the next to last day.
I find it very bothersome that adults would be bothered by kids getting “extra” time in the woods before the regular season.

You know... I’m all for giving the kids their two weeks back but I’m loving having the regular season open a week earlier! I and many others have been asking for this for several years at the IDNR meetings.
I’m not sure if the bill passed giving the kiddos their two weeks back or not.
If it did they can hunt in the cold or when it’s warmer.... parents decision so that’s seven weeks of hunting the bird brains... really is a generous season for the kids whether they have 3 days or two weeks before the regular season.
When my kids were at that age they didn’t have these liberal seasons so they hunted the youth season then hunted my seasons also and I gave up many hunts for them but it was very much worth it.
If there’s a will there’s a way:)

Last edited:
Youth is extremely important to me. Unfortunately, some of us only have their kids every other weekend, so having 2 weekends to hunt youth season was really nice. It’s also nice having the tag valid for all seasons. My son and I hunted our butts off this year to tag out on the next to last day.
I find it very bothersome that adults would be bothered by kids getting “extra” time in the woods before the regular season.

Typical internet hunting forum response. I said nothing of the sort to not give kids the extra chance. I simply said, as other have stated. If youth is important to you, then take them hunting and get them a bird before you fill your tag. Pretty easy to understand. But yet again, we need more and more and more hand outs to make up for piss pore outdoorsman. Let the excuses fly, at the end of the day, it’s comes down to one thing. Whose more important. Your youth hunter or you filling a tag. If your youth hunter is more important it shouldn’t matter how many “extra” days you get. The season is 1.5 months long. Figure it out buddy

I hope it goes back to the 2 weekends I have 3 kids and this year we couldn't go opening weekends due to other obligations. I took my kids over 2 dozen times before they finally got all 3 tags filled and I also scouted my tail off for them. I didn't go hunting for myself until a few days before end of 4th season and I still ended up taking my son out the last weekend and getting him his bird.

Last year opening weekend of youth was 9° and 15° that weekend. The following weekend had major storms, I remember because each morning we took shelter in one of Skips barns.

I see both sides of this argument, but I'm going to stay on the side of the 2 weekends of youth season. It's just a stupid turkey after all, I love hunting them as much as the next guy but I'm not going to lose sleep if I have less time to hunt them.

Boomer,
Thought I already did that for you, telling you why two weekends. You must not have kids?
I have also been like Blaster and had two kids to take hunting. Unfortunately we could only go every other weekend because of my situation like Mathew.
FYI, I took a youth first day, second day and third day and we were successful. 2 out of three times. Even took one last day and was successful. I’ll be honest if the whole season was youth season it wouldn’t hurt me a bit. I’ve shot enough turkeys. It’s not about me.
Turkeys can be shot late season to.
Ishi your right fortunately we hunt all seasons to and will continue if I can recruit more youth. I guess we will have to see which way they go next year for seasons.

Last edited:
I hope it goes back to the 2 weekends I have 3 kids and this year we couldn't go opening weekends due to other obligations. I took my kids over 2 dozen times before they finally got all 3 tags filled and I also scouted my tail off for them. I didn't go hunting for myself until a few days before end of 4th season and I still ended up taking my son out the last weekend and getting him his bird.

Last year opening weekend of youth was 9° and 15° that weekend. The following weekend had major storms, I remember because each morning we took shelter in one of Skips barns.

I see both sides of this argument, but I'm going to stay on the side of the 2 weekends of youth season. It's just a stupid turkey after all, I love hunting them as much as the next guy but I'm not going to lose sleep if I have less time to hunt them.

I agree Muddster. I actually would think that people would be glad that season would be open later to hunt more. I could go to the end of the month like Nebraska and would recruit a youth every weekend.

Last edited:
Ya this time of year can be dynamite if ypu have some birds to hunt that havent been hammered... I was just mushroom hunting yesterday about noon and a bird started gobbling... Probably gobbled 25-30 times in the next 15min until I walked right up on him... They get real lonely this time of year and tend to be very cooperative if they havent been hunted too hard.

For starters, I do not have a youth hunter. With the youth tags able to carry over, the seasons are were they should be. Years ago the DNR did not do enough for the kids, with the two weekends in years past, too much. The seasons this year are back were they should be.

I'll admit I was pretty upset when I first saw the layout for this year as we have been partaking in the Iowa youth turkey seasons for the past 8 years. This was our last year to play the youth season game in my family. IMO the youth turkey season is the greatest of any kind of youth seasons for introducing kids to hunting. By that I mean the kids were 1. Getting to hunt first and 2. getting to hunt when the hunting was good.(Think about youth duck and youth deer seasons(both terribly timed for kids) A lot of our hunts were public land hunts. We now have a good private piece that is kicking out toms for us. But before we were pretty limited to public land for the kids. For them to get first crack at public land was key. Some keep arguing you get 6 weekends.... to that I respond have you ever hunted public land on a weekend? There are some for real bozos walking around everywhere wrecking the woods at will on the weekends. Which limits you to that 1 mile+ walk and hope someone doesn't walk in on you.

I feel this sport is booming. The number of dead turkeys I saw on the internet this year was staggering. Last year I sat in on a hunters education class with my daughter. There were 40 some kids in that class and the instructor asked how many of you are going youth turkey hunting this spring. I bet all but 2 raised their hands. I have a hard time understanding why adults want to take days away from kids. Honestly, I will take to my grave these youth turkey hunts I've had with my kids. To watch them knock down a big old tom with a little 20 gauge trump my best hunts. The biggest handicap to getting kids in the woods is school and sports...you might think we can take kids whenever we want but more then likely they have plans the same day you want to hunt them. Which is why it's awesome that the tag is good throughout the seasons.

Now with that said this spring was super awesome turkey hunting wise from youth through 2nd season for us. So I'm not going to gripe to much. I think I've only killed 1 or 2 toms past May 5th anyhow as I almost always have that 2nd bird shot by then. I still advocate what's best for youth hunters is best for all of us though.

Last edited:
I'll admit I was pretty upset when I first saw the layout for this year as we have been partaking in the Iowa youth turkey seasons for the past 8 years. This was our last year to play the youth season game in my family. IMO the youth turkey season is the greatest of any kind of youth seasons for introducing kids to hunting. By that I mean the kids were 1. Getting to hunt first and 2. getting to hunt when the hunting was good.(Think about youth duck and youth deer seasons(both terribly timed for kids) A lot of our hunts were public land hunts. We now have a good private piece that is kicking out toms for us. But before we were pretty limited to public land for the kids. For them to get first crack at public land was key. Some keep arguing you get 6 weekends.... to that I respond have you ever hunted public land on a weekend? There are some for real bozos walking around everywhere wrecking the woods at will on the weekends. Which limits you to that 1 mile+ walk and hope someone doesn't walk in on you.

I feel this sport is booming. The number of dead turkeys I saw on the internet this year was staggering. Last year I sat in on a hunters education class with my daughter. There were 40 some kids in that class and the instructor asked how many of you are going youth turkey hunting this spring. I bet all but 2 raised their hands. I have a hard time understanding why adults want to take days away from kids. Honestly, I will take to my grave these youth turkey hunts I've had with my kids. To watch them knock down a big old tom with a little 20 gauge trump my best hunts. The biggest handicap to getting kids in the woods is school and sports...you might think we can take kids whenever we want but more then likely they have plans the same day you want to hunt them. Which is why it's awesome that the tag is good throughout the seasons.

Now with that said this spring was super awesome turkey hunting wise from youth through 2nd season for us. So I'm not going to gripe to much. I think I've only killed 1 or 2 toms past May 5th anyhow as I almost always have that 2nd bird shot by then. I still advocate what's best for youth hunters is best for all of us though.

Totally agree Doug,
Especially on everything that youth have going on, it is really hard to get out. Why not give them the best and easiest time of the year, it is also the coldest. People overlook the late season a lot. I think that happens because the birds don't come screaming in right off the roost. We shot four last year the last four days and two this past year the last three days. I think since they are more vocal early season most people without kids think they are getting an advantage. A lot of people have been upset about it and we will have to see what happens to next years seasons. Regardless of what happens I will be guiding a youth next season as well!!

Top Bottom