Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Atv Spreaders

cybball

Looking for a spreader for my ATV to use for lime, fertilizers and seed. Anything you would recommend? I’ve been looking. Some look like they would tip over easily. Some super cheapo and some way more than I want to spend. Your recommendations and experience would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lime and especially fertilizer will ATTACK steel, even if it is painted. Even after cleaning them and applying WD-40, etc, it is a constant battle to keep the steel from rusting...severely...on most models. I am currently in the market myself for one that has stainless steel parts, if such a thing exists.

Meanwhile, I have mine out of commission now until I tear it apart and sand it back to bare steel again and repaint, etc.

I wondered about how corrosive that stuff was. Think I found one that will work with my atv. Holds 110lbs and seems ok. Would take me forever to spread everything by hand so I’m going to buy one. Have a few trails I’m going to try to plant clover on as well.

Just before you buy make sure it's got a beater inside otherwise you won't get consistent flow n be upset especially with fert and lime. I spread lawns and the better the beater / agitator the more consistent and even flow you'll get. With what daver said get plastic or stainless steel otherwise it will be rusting in no time. I don't have an ATV mounted one to refer u too though

Last edited:
I have a fimco. not sure of the model....probably had it for 4 years...it spreads all of the above every year....I think i paid 200ish dollars for it maybe a little more....sure it has some rust, but shes still working....its kind of like this one....the only thing i hate about it is the handle to open it likes to close, I put a rope on it and just hold it as i go....I saw online it sells for 450....i definitely did not spend that on it...
ATV-DMS-12V.jpg

^^^. I have same fimco and also have the rope!!! ;). I hate anything fimco but this is one of their items I had to redo the least on it... just add a rope & fix area where seed comes out. So elementary & basic that it’s easy to mess with if anything an issue. If controller goes bad (like mine did) - can buy same voltage electric regulators online for $10 (vs like $75-100 for fimco over priced garbage).

I got the fimco one as well. Only used it 2 season so far but works good. Def need a rope or some type of pole hooked to the on/off lever. Paid $279 for mine 2 seasons ago. It was over $100 off @ one of the farm & fleet type stores.

Ended up with the agri-fab 110lb pull behind. Kinda cheapo but should work. I’ll be using for lime and fertilizer for sure. I’m leery of trying to spread clover with it. May do that with my hand spreader.

Ended up with the agri-fab 110lb pull behind. Kinda cheapo but should work. I’ll be using for lime and fertilizer for sure. I’m leery of trying to spread clover with it. May do that with my hand spreader.

the issue you will find with a pull behind is they are very top heavy and easy to tip over. they also bounce around a lot and the spread becomes very uneven. but as long as you go slow it should work fine....

Go slow and do not load it to capacity. I’ve destroyed several of the pull types like you bought in under 10 minutes.

Top Bottom