Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Electric Fence question

JOSHBRNDT

I am looking at putting electric fence around a couple of my food plots that I will try to keep the deer out of so they don't mow it down like they did last year. What brand and what size of voltage have you used? Also are there other ways out there that people have tried and had success with? TIA

fence charger.jpg

I have been very successful with using off set method. 2 stands on inside and 1 stand outside. You must keep it tight and at correct height. Also fence it out from day 1 of planting.

I have been very successful with using off set method. 2 stands on inside and 1 stand outside. You must keep it tight and at correct height. Also fence it out from day 1 of planting.

As have I. ^^ A couple other notes...at least one of my strands is the electric fence "tape", I think that helps to make it more visual to the potential interlopers, but that is just my hunch. I had success keeping deer out of a bean plot that I know that they would have otherwise marauded all the way up to early November one year. Then my fence was getting knocked down some. I suspect it had more to do with accidental run-ins from deer being chased than deer trying to get to the beans, but again, that is an opinion, I was not able to confirm my suspicions with any actual conversations with any live deer. :)

But the place where those beans were that year is a place where I watch multiple wild chase scenes every year, so it seems logical to me that is what was happening.

Yes..the tape works much better. 1in wide tape and if you twist it....it will flap in wind more and be easier to see.

Here's the electric fence we put up. Walked around it this weekend and there aren't any tracks in the mud, so it must be working. I didn't get any pictures but will get one this coming weekend.

Here's the electric fence we put up. Walked around it this weekend and there aren't any tracks in the mud, so it must be working. I didn't get any pictures but will get one this coming weekend.

Looks good. You may already know this, but in case not...I see the grass growing between the inner and outer loops...if left to grow, it will short out your fence and reduce, or even eliminate, the charge. The last thing you want is a non-electric, electric fence. :) I would douse that area with gly and/or butch it short with a mower, but don't let it get too high in there. How big of an area is that?

Looks good. You may already know this, but in case not...I see the grass growing between the inner and outer loops...if left to grow, it will short out your fence and reduce, or even eliminate, the charge. The last thing you want is a non-electric, electric fence. :) I would douse that area with gly and/or butch it short with a mower, but don't let it get too high in there. How big of an area is that?

We used the weed eater to eliminate most of that growth. We are going to spray it this weekend hopefully.

Top Bottom