Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Traveling & living area of some mature bucks, interesting example...

It is my opinion that older bucks that move off are returning home, home where they ran around with mama for a year before being pushed out of the nest.

I agree on this 100%....we had 2 bucks that came from farm to East as 2.5 yr olds...stayed on our farm until 5.5, then moved back 1-2 miles away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a pretty fun topic to talk about and really shows that through all the stuff we do to our farms to keep deer, nothing is guaranteed. Last year I killed a buck on Nov. 6. No pics of him, sent to neighbor and he had zero pics as well. And we have 500+ acres between us. My muzzy buck was a 6.5 yr old that was a clear home body, sheds, trail cam pics and sightings all year unil i kill him Jan 1. I also had an encounter with a deer on Oct. 4 nearly killed him, then gone. Zero Pics until second shotgun. Then he was very regular and would not leave. I actually shot that deer Dec 23, bad low shot....he showed back up on camera the 28th. I shot him again the 29th....another low shot(nine lives i think or possibly a deer from the matrix)....never found him and no more pics....but he clearly loved it there just lived elsewhere for 2+ months.
The deer in my avatar was an absolute slob. Hunted him for a coupler years but only lived there during summer and came back in Feb....Literally left the day before opening day one year....

what i always wonder is why a deer shows up one day during velvet then gone? I get it during november they are looking for love, but during the summer youd think they would just stay where they are, its hot and miserable out....I had a hammer show up on a farm in 2015 for all of 4 mins...haha...he was huge!!!!! not sure what ever happened to him, interesting creatures for sure

This is a pretty fun topic to talk about and really shows that through all the stuff we do to our farms to keep deer, nothing is guaranteed. Last year I killed a buck on Nov. 6. No pics of him, sent to neighbor and he had zero pics as well. And we have 500+ acres between us. My muzzy buck was a 6.5 yr old that was a clear home body, sheds, trail cam pics and sightings all year unil i kill him Jan 1. I also had an encounter with a deer on Oct. 4 nearly killed him, then gone. Zero Pics until second shotgun. Then he was very regular and would not leave. I actually shot that deer Dec 23, bad low shot....he showed back up on camera the 28th. I shot him again the 29th....another low shot(nine lives i think or possibly a deer from the matrix)....never found him and no more pics....but he clearly loved it there just lived elsewhere for 2+ months.
The deer in my avatar was an absolute slob. Hunted him for a coupler years but only lived there during summer and came back in Feb....Literally left the day before opening day one year....

what i always wonder is why a deer shows up one day during velvet then gone? I get it during november they are looking for love, but during the summer youd think they would just stay where they are, its hot and miserable out....I had a hammer show up on a farm in 2015 for all of 4 mins...haha...he was huge!!!!! not sure what ever happened to him, interesting creatures for sure

You always see “collared” studies done in the South but I’d love to see a study done in the Midwest to look at travel patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom