Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pond Dam and Surrounding Ground Cover??

cybball

I'm having my small pond cleaned up and dredged. It's cleared and drained now and will be dredged mid summer. I can't plant anything yet, as the pond guy will be back and everything will get torn up again. But, when he is done, what would you plant on the dam and around the pond? I'd like to keep it something the kids can walk on easily to fish. I could mow most of it a couple times of year too. Steep part of the dam I won't mow. Want to put in something that will keep erosion to a minimum and will get going strong. Thought about clover, but that can take time to get going. Maybe a mix.
Suggestions?

Thanks!!

I'm having my small pond cleaned up and dredged. It's cleared and drained now and will be dredged mid summer. I can't plant anything yet, as the pond guy will be back and everything will get torn up again. But, when he is done, what would you plant on the dam and around the pond? I'd like to keep it something the kids can walk on easily to fish. I could mow most of it a couple times of year too. Steep part of the dam I won't mow. Want to put in something that will keep erosion to a minimum and will get going strong. Thought about clover, but that can take time to get going. Maybe a mix.
Suggestions?

Thanks!!

Is your pond surrounded by mature trees? If so, that could influence what will grow well there. If a lot of shade, then orchard grass would be an option to me. if plenty of sun, then I think I would go with buffalo grass.

It was. I had him open it way up. Good sun now.
c4b6bebaf5419e4a30939798d6a569f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya. A good sod forming grass on dam & areas u don’t want to Erode. Anything needing holding power fast- oats & lots of sod forming grass. U could add clover but nothing will hold like brome, fescue & above.

Ya. A good sod forming grass on dam & areas u don’t want to Erode. Anything needing holding power fast- oats & lots of sod forming grass. U could add clover but nothing will hold like brome, fescue & above.

Thanks. I’ll try fescue. At least to get a solid sod built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to be able to mow it and walk around it I would go with a Kentucky bluegrass perennial rye mix, same thing you would seed a yard with. I seeded my pond dike with that and some clover mixed in and the deer like it.

Top Bottom