Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wet spring

bkcrrtnps

Some believe that a wet Spring leads to better antler growth.....I personally don’t think it is any different than an average Spring but think that weather is a bigger factor in July and August.....thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rain causing lush spring growth might jump start antler development. But....
Locally, we had a brutal winter with very cold temps with food under ice. I’ve found multiple dead deer this spring, my bet is young and stressed deer succumbed to the weather. Now, we have a mulberry tree in the back yard that is just now starting to leaf. Also have a paw paw just now leafing out. So much for early green up.
Deer have been pounding the alfalfa field, which usually has a first cutting last weekend. One f’d up spring, haven’t got the garden muddled in yet. At least our corn acres got in, will worry about plant population later.

Not expecting better antler growth this year.

Late winter with cold spring + brutally cold winter= not good. Lots of rain = very good for antler growth. Wonder if it might be a “wash” if stays wet? But yes, absolutely agree lots of rain means bigger racks & bigger jumps for bucks.

Late winter with cold spring + brutally cold winter= not good. Lots of rain = very good for antler growth. Wonder if it might be a “wash” if stays wet? But yes, absolutely agree lots of rain means bigger racks & bigger jumps for bucks.
What is everyone's opinion on this scenario throwing in more than ample winter feed with excess standing crop left in the field?? Deer pounded the crops left in the fields from the prolonged harvest. You think this factor could outweigh the deep snow and cold for antler growth?? If so, and wet spring is also good, could make for some nice hunting this fall.

i would assume a normal moisture spring would be a good thing for antler growth. But i think if you couple the harsh long winter with the high amounts of water would have to have a negative effect on both antlers and fawn recruitment. The high water and mud I would think would make it easier for predators to "catch" the fawns. The only reason I believe the ample water amounts are a good thing are because they dont have to stress to locate hydration. I think stress is most likely the number 1 factor in antler growth outside of proper nutrition. So if thats the case they it may just be an average year.......disclaimer**** I have no idea what im talking about, only speaking of what makes sense in my tiny brain

What is everyone's opinion on this scenario throwing in more than ample winter feed with excess standing crop left in the field?? Deer pounded the crops left in the fields from the prolonged harvest. You think this factor could outweigh the deep snow and cold for antler growth?? If so, and wet spring is also good, could make for some nice hunting this fall.
I dont beleive so as these fields were so sporadic...so yes in some areas where these fields were located then yes it could have a positive effect but other areas not so much

Despite all our foodplot and cropping efforts, the bulk of a deer's diet is native browse. More rain= more browse growth. More growth = higher nutrient uptake by our favorite critters and better antler expression. Look up protein content on native plants and "weeds" and forbes. Many are crazy high.

Despite all our foodplot and cropping efforts, the bulk of a deer's diet is native browse. More rain= more browse growth. More growth = higher nutrient uptake by our favorite critters and better antler expression. Look up protein content on native plants and "weeds" and forbes. Many are crazy high.

FWIW, I am persuaded similarly ^^. I guess we will see, the tough winter put the deer herd "behind" I believe going into the summer. But EVERYTHING the deer are eating now is growing at near max rates...that has to be good IMO.

These two were grazing in my pasture last night next to my house. The buck was allready outside his ears
11e0c4aa424f7c9f52bde25be6ec92b6.jpg
pretty impressed with what he had so far. Not sure why the doe climbed my manure pile.

So many variables. But I tend to agree a wet yr produces a ton of browse. An early green-up definitely makes a big difference also. 2012 confirmed this. This yr was ok as far as green-up but snow was deep late.

A little worried about corn and beans being so far behind. Even a couple weeks would have to make a difference in crucial growing periods.

I know one thing for sure. By me there will be seas of corn all thru Nov and that blows.

Top Bottom