Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey harvest down from last year

Yes. DNR site.
https://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/trends/logbook_2017.pdf

Numbers changed dramatically when electronic reporting came in. Either old "survey card" method was terribly inaccurate or many people don't report via the electronic system as I doubt the harvest actually was cut in half from 2006 to 2007. See page 44.

2008 - 11,329 so pretty level.

Since electronic reporting:
Low - 2011 with 9,527
High - 2016 with 12,173
Generally just over 11,000

Last edited:
Seems like to me numbers are down over here. Still a very huntable population - but not the groups of 4-5 strutters in one pile you used to see in ~2012-13

Hopefully the last few post above are sarcasm? Just kilt me this smart old tom...called him all the way into 100 yds where I let the rifle bark.‍♂️

Why not, it is all about the killin, don't worry about the hunting aspect of the sport. ;)

And yes, the wink emoji means sarcasm for me.

Turkeys are down in Minnesota, drastically in some counties. Lots of potential reasons, weather, bird flu, fishers, other predators, habitat loss??

It’s possible some areas in Iowa are down too?

Turkeys are down in Minnesota, drastically in some counties. Lots of potential reasons, weather, bird flu, fishers, other predators, habitat loss??

It’s possible some areas in Iowa are down too?
Turkey numbers are way down in Woodbury and Monona Counties from last year. Not sure why and DNR has no answer other than, possibly too many predators. Had a particular farm that was my favorite and hunted it this year a few times, never heard a tom or saw a single turkey there, nor did others that hunted it every weekend.

Turkey numbers are way down in Woodbury and Monona Counties from last year. Not sure why and DNR has no answer other than, possibly too many predators. Had a particular farm that was my favorite and hunted it this year a few times, never heard a tom or saw a single turkey there, nor did others that hunted it every weekend.

Yep - neighbor counties with ya . I’m just not seeing them like I used to . The large population sections are still there with hardly any effect . But the spots of 1-3 toms in random ditches or 10 acre timber’s are gone from what they used to be .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way down in Harrison as well, still able to kill birds but not like it used to be even a few years ago. Bobcat numbers on the rise year after year, I believe that has a bunch of correlation but not everyone agrees with me I'm sure.

Way down in Harrison as well, still able to kill birds but not like it used to be even a few years ago. Bobcat numbers on the rise year after year, I believe that has a bunch of correlation but not everyone agrees with me I'm sure.

Totally related IMO. Coyote populations are high as well as Bobcats making a huge population surge... they gotta eat something and turkeys are stupid enough to stand there and get et.

Top Bottom