Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey harvest down from last year

Daver,
The bobcat oracle.

LOL! That is a badge I will wear with honor fine sir! :) I do feel pretty strongly about the subject, as you might be able to tell, and in part that is because when I have talked with DNR personnel about this over the years, they have fairly patiently listened to me and then politely disagreed and essentially dismissed these views.

Their collective position, unless something has changed recently, is that bobs do not harm the turkey populations. OK...how do you explain the dead adults that many people I know have also found? I have yet to hear an answer from them on that front that holds water.

Predators are having an impact on turkeys, I would say almost 100% certainty. In MN a Fisher can sneak up into a tree at night and grab a roosting turkey with ease for an early Thanksgiving. Bobcats are even more stealthy...!

LOL! That is a badge I will wear with honor fine sir! :) I do feel pretty strongly about the subject, as you might be able to tell, and in part that is because when I have talked with DNR personnel about this over the years, they have fairly patiently listened to me and then politely disagreed and essentially dismissed these views.

Their collective position, unless something has changed recently, is that bobs do not harm the turkey populations. OK...how do you explain the dead adults that many people I know have also found? I have yet to hear an answer from them on that front that holds water.

Well, if you had turkeys, then bobcats moved in only to have the turkey decline, it’s a good assumption. Just now seeing an occasional bobcat where I turkey hunt (2 trail cam pics the last 5 yrs) so hopefully I won’t be in the same position down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom