Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Timber ridge seed options

BJohnson

I will be finalizing a small 25 acre add-on to my existing farm in the near future. One area within the add-on acres looks like a potential staging plot location. The spot is a NW-SE timber ridge top that has a open pasture to the S across a boundary fenceline. Since this spot has a potential for fall sunlight (southern sky) during the day, I thought it might be a good area to do some canopy clearing and put in a small staging plot. The potential area is approx. 25-40 yards wide and 60-90 yards long, depending on how many trees I would drop. The ridge falls to the N into a heavily used ravine crossing where many hogbacks come together. I think there is going to be a decent amount of movement just to the N of this ridgetop through that bttm crossing. The spot is the small ridge just above the word "Image" as shown below. I am also planning a plot for the open area above the word "Survey".

I will not be able to get any type of mower into this spot without coming through the neighbors land and I currently do not have any type of relationship with this particular neighbor (not saying that I won't in the future but just haven't had any contact yet). I can get an ATV and small disc into the spot but not a tractor. I would guess that plant growth will be limited due to soil quality, partial sunlight, and hopefully browse pressure. If anyone has tried this type of location on their property, I would be curious to hear any experiences on (1) seed options and (2) if the results were worth the work in such a challenging location.

Attachments

• 20190620_081050.jpg
    20190620_081050.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
I have a couple of primo food plots in such places, but I can get a tractor to both. Before I had a tractor though, I managed them with an ATV. At that time I had a pull behind mower for the ATV. I think if you got one of those mowers, you would be good. I would do it! You probably need to lime it and then clover is a good option for such areas.

I have a swisher rough cut mower now - it's a heavy boat anchor. Unfortunately there is no way I am getting my mower up to this spot without first constructing a bridge over a ravine that the current ATV trail passes through. Too steep of a hill - too much cut-bank.

Thx for the seeding input.

I have always wanted to try virginia wild rye in a scenario like this. I know of a few remnant populations of vwr growing amongst old oaks, ash, walnuts etc., and the deer hammer it in the spring/fall. Does all hide their fawns in it too. Grows new leaves after it seeds out and stays green late into the fall. Greens back up real early spring. I really want to mow some late this summer, after critters have cleaned up the seed, and see if it encourages more lush new growth and deer use.

Or just do white clover after copious amounts of lime.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Congrats on addition !
So- simple math on 150’x300’ = 45000. So, ur over an acre. Weed whipper & push mower both kinda out of question.
100% id meet neighbor and feel it out. If no go...
u could plant something u manage only with spray??? So- u can get in a harrow & little sprayer right?
Man- I just keep circling back to meeting the neighbor!!! Aside from that- haul in spreader, harrow & sprayer (probably just leaving harrow & anything u could there). A Few options on what u could plant in that case.

Top Bottom