Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

Goatman and Sligh--I think I probably hit about the same time you guys did with my corn. How did your closers work in the moist ground? I planted around the same time and had a small crack left open and have not been back down to check since- this is the only thing in the back of my mind. I figured it was go now or never at that point so I just kept going. Either way I will know next weekend when I go down to spray. I just hope my pre-emergents stay around long enough to help out with the weeds before V5.

Also, this was a replant of some mid April corn I put in that had very poor germination, ground temps were a little over 50 when I put it in but stayed there for about 3 weeks. Could have been seed too--not sure. Closers worked perfect at that time.....

My closers worked fine. But- I waited til I barely felt ok doing it and liked the results. Planting in general- I had 4-5 scouting trips to field when I was “ready” and said “nope” - I’m waiting. This time I could barely smoosh up soil into a solid ball. Most did crumble but I would say FAR from perfect conditions.
Imo, a few things.... YOUR field will be obvious as u said. If it’s a “small crack” - I bet u it’s fine. If ur depth was deep enough. It’s for sure a “how big of opening/crack & how deep seed?” Type of success or failure. If minor - i say ur find, especially for food plot. For production- u likely lost some yield. Which for plot- oh well, 10-15% (just from late planting & losing a bit of stand) ain’t a huge issue.

Solutions to not closing ur furrow.... clearly waiting to dry. I rarely do this but I did lightly disc to dry field up (double edged sword - be sure plenty moisture there or coming - gets u if drought hits!) it Worked this year of course. Next- plant SLOW!!!!! Next- especially with heavy clay soils- I run spiked closing wheel on at least one side with one of my planters. Could drag a chain (minor). The spiked closing wheels help with side wall compaction & help fill in furrow lil better. Chain might help on furrow a bit as well. Good sharp openers. Some no till coulters better than others as well. So: wait til dry, go slow, spike closing wheel (cheap) & few other tools (like light tillage) in unique situations. I bet ur fine though and post back results!
Stuff for basic planters like 7000’s. Not expensive (in big picture) & can make some huge modern updates to old stuff.
https://www.shoupparts.com/products/planter-parts/john-deere/copperhead-ag-closing-wheel/

https://www.shoupparts.com/products/planter-parts/john-deere/closing-wheel/update-kits/

These r interesting. Never used em.... https://www.shoupparts.com/products/planter-parts/john-deere/closing-wheel/update-kits/

Only way to go in heavy clay or if u run into “non-ideal” moist areas. Next time u unplugging those stupid gauge wheels - remember this post ;)
https://www.shoupparts.com/products/planter-parts/john-deere/gauge-wheel/mudsmith-assemblies/

I'm really small time so failure not a problem. I went for broke and mudded some in when it was supposed to rain again for a week. It didn't. I could have waited. I also get free seed for plots so its not a big deal. It didn't close worth a crap but I drug a oak pallet upside down to cover a bit better. My plots are near a pond and the red winged blackbirds are always trying to steal seed. I was just trying to hide the corn seed better. Think you'll be surprised to find out you have a stand. I was prepared to replant with beans if the corn didn't turn out. And I'll probably have some would be bean plots go to brassicas if it keeps raining.

I’ve had a pretty hard & fast rule on no till & cover crops. If I do cover crops- brassicas will be followed by no till corn. Does great. A rye mix will be followed by no till beans.
Last year I tiled some areas after cleaning up & took drill down tile lines with a rye mix. I knew it was gonna be corn this year but it’s maybe 25% of the field. I worked the rye down since no till was out of question. It still was impossible. I burnt down with herbicides, worked it & planted. Rye or similar has an allelopathic effect on corn & many weeds. The other major issue is the residue it leaves which impacts corn getting through & herbicides getting to soil. Even with row cleaners. In this “deer plot area” - I thought I might be able to pack it up with seed- did 20k & then 20k again running perpendicular- just trying to get higher seed count & make a corn mess on very high fertility ground. Still not enough. Could have maybe lit on fire or got more aggressive but wanted to see results just for fun anyways. This patch just be a deer plot anyways. Bottom line- my own rules were correct- don’t follow rye with corn!!!! RYE TO BEANS, Brassicas,oats, peas & a few legumes To CORN.
8091fd144a4343930a7823b51a678c4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YEP. It’s a hybrid of rye & winter wheat. Will also still have all the residue. The one thing I coulda/shoulda done differently..... kill the rye early in season. This was my last corn plot & I kinda forgot about the rye. Terminated a month earlier it would have been much easier to manage.

Took the drone out for a spin on my lunch break to get a better idea of how the plots turned out. Corn is looking awesome in the big plot, beans looking good there too with the exception of the spot where the drill RAN OUT OF SEED :(
Pond plot looking pretty good as well, the replant corn (5/29) is coming along but found that I need to give it some herbicide after work. If we can catch a couple rains when the corn goes to tassle should have a lot of food this year. :D

Looks better than mine!!!!
Last minute bean plot here. New ground & was nasty cool seasons. Dropped a NUKE on it!!!! 4 qts Gly, ams, 6 oz of fierce xlt. It’s just coming up. not the order & timing id like but.... running p&k & pelletized lime on it. Not bad for last minute into nasty sod.
ad7a2db783dd08d5d9dad6af77ac4330.jpg
eb18f33474d0499117c18b56a1905d65.jpg
277856f4b358c49f6d294d79c5884920.jpg

I’ve had a pretty hard & fast rule on no till & cover crops. If I do cover crops- brassicas will be followed by no till corn. Does great. A rye mix will be followed by no till beans.
Last year I tiled some areas after cleaning up & took drill down tile lines with a rye mix. I knew it was gonna be corn this year but it’s maybe 25% of the field. I worked the rye down since no till was out of question. It still was impossible. I burnt down with herbicides, worked it & planted. Rye or similar has an allelopathic effect on corn & many weeds. The other major issue is the residue it leaves which impacts corn getting through & herbicides getting to soil. Even with row cleaners. In this “deer plot area” - I thought I might be able to pack it up with seed- did 20k & then 20k again running perpendicular- just trying to get higher seed count & make a corn mess on very high fertility ground. Still not enough. Could have maybe lit on fire or got more aggressive but wanted to see results just for fun anyways. This patch just be a deer plot anyways. Bottom line- my own rules were correct- don’t follow rye with corn!!!! RYE TO BEANS, Brassicas,oats, peas & a few legumes To CORN.
8091fd144a4343930a7823b51a678c4d.jpg

After corn, you go to rye mix the same calendar year you plant corn or the following fall?

After corn, you go to rye mix the same calendar year you plant corn or the following fall?
So any area I plant rye in late summer or fall.... I follow those with beans the next spring.
This part I was waiting to see if anyone caught this ;)... So if it’s corn & I want a cover crop of rye for next year... I’ve walked down slightly larger gapped rows & spread with hand spreader angling up as much as i can & done from edges angled up over corn. It’s kinda a pain but works. On large scale - not very practical but u can do fly on rye or convert certain types of sprayers to do it. But for plots- if I do rye In there- I just walk down gaps or edges and fling it in there best I can. The following year it’ll be great bean planting. Lil more pain in rear but possible.

So any area I plant rye in late summer or fall.... I follow those with beans the next spring.
This part I was waiting to see if anyone caught this ;)... So if it’s corn & I want a cover crop of rye for next year... I’ve walked down slightly larger gapped rows & spread with hand spreader angling up as much as i can & done from edges angled up over corn. It’s kinda a pain but works. On large scale - not very practical but u can do fly on rye or convert certain types of sprayers to do it. But for plots- if I do rye In there- I just walk down gaps or edges and fling it in there best I can. The following year it’ll be great bean planting. Lil more pain in rear but possible.
Thats what I was suspicious you were doing. Yes a pain but I've been thinking of trying it.... So do yoy you still brush hog your corn stubble and if so what calendar date? (this is assuming the corn is left standing as a food plot or partially brush hogged for the deer)

Thats what I was suspicious you were doing. Yes a pain but I've been thinking of trying it.... So do yoy you still brush hog your corn stubble and if so what calendar date? (this is assuming the corn is left standing as a food plot or partially brush hogged for the deer)
Yep- I generally do. If all corn is eaten - end of winter or late spring. I’ll run mower over it all to clean it up. Say like March or April. Not a huge deal on date. I’ll usually fertilize & mow about same time... March or April & then do burn down with pre & post same time plant. If add 2,4-d to burn down, wait about 7-ish days (read label) before I plant beans.

Yep- I generally do. If all corn is eaten - end of winter or late spring. I’ll run mower over it all to clean it up. Say like March or April. Not a huge deal on date. I’ll usually fertilize & mow about same time... March or April & then do burn down with pre & post same time plant. If add 2,4-d to burn down, wait about 7-ish days (read label) before I plant beans.
Awesome, I didnt know if the corn would shade out the rye to much in the winter months. Sounds like a good program. Now I just need to find some no-till coulters for my JD 7000 (for corn and I will be set). I drill my beans with a GP 606 NT drill.
About how many #s to the acre of rye do you broadcast?
What date do you broadcast rye?

U can do corn with drill but u pry wanna block some tubes. I would really want them more than every 3 tubes - so block 2 & that put u at 22.5” spacing. 15” is possible but not ideal. The big seed box will drop em out but it’s sure not precise. I’d check out the bag to see how many seeds it is per lbs. Do a little experimenting on drill seed rate settings (heck, u could practice or somewhat comparably calibrate with shelled corn) . I’d rather get it a little too light than too heavy. 20k seeds per acre be about minimum, I’d try not to exceed 35k on high side with a drill.

Ya- rye does fine. I usually do it when corn is yellowing or brown. Nice part with rye.. can seed it really late but September is doable on earlier side. This season- my corn is in LATE so probably nothing for me. But ya- I’ve broadcast rye, radish, etc with pretty good results.

So Skip's post has me pretty worried.

Back history: Last fall I broadcast rye into standing bean plots. It worked great. There were tons of deer in there and picked up a pile of sheds out of it this spring. These plots are on the same rotation as my ag fields. The plots were weed free this spring (allelopathic properties of rye) while the ag fields showed far more weed prevalence. I mowed down the been stubble and I'm feeling good right.... not so fast. Didn't realize rye had the same affect on corn as weeds! Shit!!!!

Corn was planted around May 15 and sprayed two weeks later. I have no idea what it looks like where this rye was. I will be going to check it out soon. I have a feeling I may be turning these corn plots into brassica plots.... hoping for the best! :(:confused::mad::mad::mad:

So Skip's post has me pretty worried.

Back history: Last fall I broadcast rye into standing bean plots. It worked great. There were tons of deer in there and picked up a pile of sheds out of it this spring. These plots are on the same rotation as my ag fields. The plots were weed free this spring (allelopathic properties of rye) while the ag fields showed far more weed prevalence. I mowed down the been stubble and I'm feeling good right.... not so fast. Didn't realize rye had the same affect on corn as weeds! Shit!!!!

Corn was planted around May 15 and sprayed two weeks later. I have no idea what it looks like where this rye was. I will be going to check it out soon. I have a feeling I may be turning these corn plots into brassica plots.... hoping for the best! :(:confused::mad::mad::mad:
I doubt it. U had one KEY.... MAY 15!!! Mine was like “June 5-10” (very late- wet as can be!! & 3 weeks of spring/summer rye growth is insane difference)

U likely got to it well before it got more developed & the allelopathic impact of rye will be less severe. Then, u dodged 2 more bullets I did not.... I had issue with simple emergence through all the extra trash u wouldn’t have had & u won’t have as much residue for herbicide problems. I’d say ur fine. The ONLY last thing I want u to look for.... long story short.... does the corn look extremely dark green where enough N is there?? That’s yet one more issue & long story short - an issue guys can run into even with corn on corn with things breaking down & lacking N or N uptake. See if it needs extra N. Which can be solved pretty decently with some
Additional treated urea. I’m gonna guess u will be ok though.

Top Bottom