Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa city deer hunt.

"Iowa City Deer Friends was instrumental in putting together nonlethal strategies, which include an annual deer count, fence construction, and driver awareness."

So, they were planning to "manage" the deer numbers by counting them, putting up fences and educating drivers. I guess that works if the fences are pens they capture the deer in and then let them starve to death and the driver awareness is how to "swerve to kill a deer".

Glad the DNR is standing strong. Hopefully they don't buy this stall tactic and force them to use bow hunting now and skip the " one more round of sharpshooting".

Ms. Dieterle made some great points. Maybe she should run for council.

Yep, gotta love the crossgun picture.

A few random comments as a "near" Iowa Citian. (My backyard fence is the county/city line, but my business/work is in Iowa City, so I guess I count for something. :))

1. There are too many deer in town, at least on the northern and eastern sides in some areas. One of my boys lives right off of Court St. in town and one day last fall he looked out the front window and there was a little buck standing street side, within 5' of a bus stop, looking around nonchalantly. He laughed out loud since he commonly sees people standing right there waiting for the bus...this day a little forkie appeared to waiting his turn to plunk down his fare and get on the bus too. :)

2. I have seen published estimates that there are 10,000+ deer in city limits...I would be shocked if there were actually 1/10 of that number. There are some problem spots, yes, but if say 200'ish were harvested, I think 95% of the problem goes away.

3. Iowa City has radically overpaid for sharpshooting over the years. I hope the bow hunt is successful and it should save the city TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars.

I just saw an article on facebook that White Buffalo was contracted for this winter and that they will have there 'hunt' from December through March.

Yes, AND they put up more deer crossing signs.

I can't remember if IC had planned to hire them this year or not. I kinda wonder if they will say next year when the bow hunts are supposed to start that White Buffalo took care of the problem and they won't need a bow hunt. I also don't know how many they were contracted to kill.

Let us all form our drum circles and pray to Mother Earth Gaia for the spirits of the deer about to be mercilessly slaughtered in Iowa City. :rolleyes:

The criticism Iowa City met with their “sharp shoot only” plan was that it didn’t have a herd maintenance component to it, thus the urban bow hunt proposal. Whether that comes to fruition will be seen.

White Buffalo, the sharp shooting contractor, “sells” their service partially as science. They age the deer, test for disease, etc. before the meat is processed for local food banks. Will they be testing for CWD this time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The criticism Iowa City met with their “sharp shoot only” plan was that it didn’t have a herd maintenance component to it, thus the urban bow hunt proposal. Whether that comes to fruition will be seen.

White Buffalo, the sharp shooting contractor, “sells” their service partially as science. They age the deer, test for disease, etc. before the meat is processed for local food banks. Will they be testing for CWD this time?

I'd bet that it is there if they test for it. I'm sure they will test for it and use that as a bargaining chip to promote their continued services.

Learned this morning that White Buffalo is required to test Iowa City deer for CWD, working in conjunction with the Iowa DNR.

“When there isn’t sufficient food, the does will absorb their fetuses and they don’t have litters,”

Okay then...................;) No more Deer litters.......

The one comment is equally as pathetic

Better to have them shot by White Buffalo under the cover of darkness, keeps it sanitized for your protection.

Man this shit gets old.

When I was 21 and a student in IC I went to the meeting and voiced my opinion on this situation. You would have thought I was the devil himself. The questions I got were comical and I only wish I was standing there today to answer them.

Mr. Kratzberg - do yo have proof that the deer do not suffer when shot with an arrow. (Oh my goodness the answers in my head now would probably have ended that meeting immediately).

Top Bottom