Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Property

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
Is there a minimum amount of acres that you would buy? Long been a dream of mine to buy a property for hunting. I use to always have my mind on 80-100 acres, but that may not be feasible, for a long while. In the next several years I could realistically purchase a smaller size. I check several sites weekly so am up to date the market prices a bit and what one could expect to pay for say 50 acres etc. In the next few years I think I could nearly put down 50% on something 30-60 acres. Question being, what is the minimum you would buy? I saw the other post about 14 acres, to me that just seems to small. But the right couple acres in the right neighborhood could be perfect. I guess to me I would want at least 30. Of course how it lays, the adjoining properties, timber, creek, etc all play into it. So many variables. Just curious what others think. Being in an area that has a strong population of deer and turkey would be key.

Is there a minimum amount of acres that you would buy? Long been a dream of mine to buy a property for hunting. Question being, what is the minimum you would buy? But the right couple acres in the right neighborhood could be perfect. Being in an area that has a strong population of deer and turkey would be key.

40 acres, as I’m under the impression that this is the minimum to be considered ag ground. As such, there are less restrictions on what you can do with it.

But you are correct in that smaller pieces positioned in a corridor or funnel can be the cats pajamas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 acres is what almost immediately popped into my mind also. Be warned though, land ownership is both addicting and expensive. Addicting in that you'll want more - expensive in that you will have even more "needs" regarding equipment once you own the dirt.

I would say 40, but I’ve seen some nice properties that are less than that. Good luck

10 acres is automatically ag.

Huge variables. You could literally have 5 acres in the perfect spot that could be better than 500 acres in a horrible neighborhood.

You are smart to put large percentage down. Especially if looking at a "hunting farm" that may not have great income.

So, continue to do your homework. Network. Somthing will catch your eye at some point.

The right 40 will out produce a poor 200 !! If you have great bedding and food with good access your in the money !! And neighbors can make or break a smaller pc.

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

I know only be 14 acres is not big enough for most..but being in a great location sitting against city limits plus not being hunted in over 20 years oh and at 857.14$ per acre. I couldnt pass it up for being (small)

I bow hunt a 400 acre piece and a 15 acre piece. Given a choice I would hunt the 15 acres. I get just as many mature deer on cams on the small piece. it's in a great pinch point, between two large tracts that get 0 pressure. There's probably 2 acres of timber on it. I close on 6.5 acres adjoining to it next week.

I got to wondering why I thought 40 acres was important, might have been related to doing a “farmstead split”, though one website set that at 35 acres. According to the link below, Iowa did away with the 10 acre ag minimum. For this forum, of more importance might be the 2 acre minimum for a LOT.

https://www.linncounty.org/937/Rural-Property-Classification-Review

That's pretty interesting. My county still uses that 10 acre ag deal. Actually, I challenged an assessment this year and had to go before the board of review in about 6 weeks ago. We talked about a lot of things and the ag classification was one of them. (I won). Odd that it is not consistent.

That's pretty interesting. My county still uses that 10 acre ag deal. Actually, I challenged an assessment this year and had to go before the board of review in about 6 weeks ago. We talked about a lot of things and the ag classification was one of them. (I won). Odd that it is not consistent.
I'm assuming that classification determines how the parcel is taxed?

I'm assuming that classification determines how the parcel is taxed?
yes. (That wasn't why I challenged my assessment, but yes)

Historically throughout the state, and apparently only in some counties now, if you have 10 or more acres you automatically went into the ag exemption. So the land is taxed at a lower rate than say 5 acres with a house on it. In either case (both sides of the 10 acre mark), you still have an assessment on a dwelling if there is a house.

IMG_0600.jpgIMG_0601.jpg

Here’s roughly 8 acres of timber where a couple creeks meet in a lightly hunted neighborhood. I don’t want to hijack this one so when I have a little more time I’ll try and post a new thread with additional pics/info. Keep in mind you’ll always want more no matter what you settle on so I’d recommend keeping an open mind and not rule out smaller pieces right away.

The 8 acres is the triangle piece on the bend in the road.

Top Bottom