Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Property

My 2 cents is a smaller piece would need to have less road frontage and be "connected" some way to other pieces . once the leaves fall off you can basicly rule out first 30 to 50 yrds from the road so piecs shrinks pretty fast . you have to figure access and where are the deer coming from (bedding) and where they headed.

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

"My 2 cents is a smaller piece would need to have less road frontage and be "connected" some way to other pieces . once the leaves fall off you can basicly rule out first 30 to 50 yrds from the road so piecs shrinks pretty fast . you have to figure access and where are the deer coming from (bedding) and where they headed."

Bingo - the above statement hit the nail on the head. Smaller the property - the more selective you may need to be about the above points. It's a trade-off between access options and usable acres. The better the road access - the less usable acres. More usable acres sometimes means a single point of access so direction of that access can be key (prevailing winds, etc).

If you are lucky, sometimes you are able to expand on an initial purchase and solve one of the deficiencies on the original tract so taking a look at the surrounding parcel ownership.

I know only be 14 acres is not big enough for most..but being in a great location sitting against city limits plus not being hunted in over 20 years oh and at 857.14$ per acre. I couldnt pass it up for being (small)

I'm not knocking your purchase at all, you got an absolute steal. You could turn around and flip that quick and make a big profit if you wanted. One of the properties I hunt now is 18 acres, including the landowners house/yard, and a pasture. The actual area that is huntable is only like 10 acres and it holds deer, its a good property.

You buy 40, then you need a tractor and implements, then you need a cabin to stay at. But I am digressing. LOL.

Yeah that's already ran through my mind for a while. I'd be buying something within hopefully no more than an hour from home. Having a small cabin or even a small camper to park while I'm there is part of the plan.

Thanks for all the info guys. I know there's a ton of variables so there is not a specific answer. Neighborhood is key, and to me not necessarily how others hunt, but just being in an area that has a good population of game. I'm not after the biggest buck and need to shoot 5.5 + etc. Really just want my own place and in my mind if its in a higher deer density area there will be bucks big enough to keep me excited. To me anything 140s gets me really excited. I just want my own place and can hunt when I want and how I want and do the things I want to do.

I'm not knocking your purchase at all, you got an absolute steal. You could turn around and flip that quick and make a big profit if you wanted. One of the properties I hunt now is 18 acres, including the landowners house/yard, and a pasture. The actual area that is huntable is only like 10 acres and it holds deer, its a good property.
I know only be 14 acres is not big enough for most..but being in a great location sitting against city limits plus not being hunted in over 20 years oh and at 857.14$ per acre. I couldnt pass it up for being (small)

Hunt that a few years, flip it, buy bigger, then bigger ... fun process

I would buy as much as you can afford and push it a little. I know that sounds irresponsible, but I have found you can find a little extra. As stated the property will shrink and you'll want more. Last month I added 80 acres that I should have purchased 15 years ago. When I bought my original piece this land was available and I figured I had enough and didn't want to spend the money. Well...I bought it July 5 at prices that appreciated for a decade and one-half.

Also, be patient. I like property, regardless the size, that has timber, pasture or field, running water, and good feeder properties. You can find it on the smallest properties. My brother bought a 20 acre piece laid out as mentioned above. Good luck and keep us posted.

Top Bottom