Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Electric Fence question

Here's a picture of the food plot as of 7/6. Beans are knee high and corn is 6 foot high.

Attachments

• IMG_20190705_122012~2.jpg
    IMG_20190705_122012~2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 177
There's been a few trouble makers getting through my fence. I took care of that with a third strand this weekend. Might get crazy next year and put more
I've had 3 strands but the outside strand is tape. I've only had a few intruders. Caught one red handed but his get away car was too fast for me.

We fought the heat this weekend and put in 10 plots, since the deer had totally destroyed the non fenced in beans. Put in a mixture of 36% rape, 40% turnips, and 24% radish. Timed the rain absolutely perfect. total of about 3.5 acres put in. I can't wait to see what they look like this weekend. Also added some of the above mix into the fenced in area where some of the beans and corn were thin.

We fought the heat this weekend and put in 10 plots, since the deer had totally destroyed the non fenced in beans. Put in a mixture of 36% rape, 40% turnips, and 24% radish. Timed the rain absolutely perfect. total of about 3.5 acres put in. I can't wait to see what they look like this weekend. Also added some of the above mix into the fenced in area where some of the beans and corn were thin.

Just an FYI...I too timed the rain perfectly Saturday afternoon, it is always a big plus to get done planting and then have a nice rain 20 minutes later! I only put in rutabagas though at this stage. IMO, I think you might be just a bit early for radishes and turnips...as they can get too mature prior to when you want them going good during the season. Just something to consider for the future...keep an eye on them and see if you feel that way once they are mature.

Just an FYI...I too timed the rain perfectly Saturday afternoon, it is always a big plus to get done planting and then have a nice rain 20 minutes later! I only put in rutabagas though at this stage. IMO, I think you might be just a bit early for radishes and turnips...as they can get too mature prior to when you want them going good during the season. Just something to consider for the future...keep an eye on them and see if you feel that way once they are mature.

Isn't the old saying July 25th wet or dry. I figured whats a couple days early. I wish I could of waited til this weekend but you have to do it when you have the help. I had one guy on the tractor and tiller, another on the 4 wheeler with the cultipacker, one guy on the ranger running seed and fertilizer, and one guy seeding. Can't turn down free help and if it works it works, if not I will spread winter wheat and rye

Isn't the old saying July 25th wet or dry. I figured whats a couple days early. I wish I could of waited til this weekend but you have to do it when you have the help. I had one guy on the tractor and tiller, another on the 4 wheeler with the cultipacker, one guy on the ranger running seed and fertilizer, and one guy seeding. Can't turn down free help and if it works it works, if not I will spread winter wheat and rye

July 29, rain or shine. It rhymes. :) While I don't disagree with that date and definitely some people are planting turnips and radishes now, it is also considered to be a little early by some knowledgeable people. Some would say that the first 10 days of August is the date range to target for radishes and turnips. By no means do I think you have a big problem by going in on say the 20th of July, and if you had help then that is vital too. Just keep an eye on it and see if you don't think it might be just a bit better to wait about 2 more weeks next year on them. Again, not a big problem, but maybe a minor adjustment to think about for next year.

July 29, rain or shine. It rhymes. :) While I don't disagree with that date and definitely some people are planting turnips and radishes now, it is also considered to be a little early by some knowledgeable people. Some would say that the first 10 days of August is the date range to target for radishes and turnips. By no means do I think you have a big problem by going in on say the 20th of July, and if you had help then that is vital too. Just keep an eye on it and see if you don't think it might be just a bit better to wait about 2 more weeks next year on them. Again, not a big problem, but maybe a minor adjustment to think about for next year.

I would agree we were early just trying to time the rain and having help was the driving point. If they suck I will add rye and wheat to the existing plots. I'm ready for all the work to be done and ready to be 20 feet up in the air.

After a failed plot due to no rain last year, I seeded before the rain last Saturday. It may be a little early but that’s a risk I’m willing to take after a hot, dry August with little to no germination last year.

did they get into your corn?

Yes they absolutely destroyed it. Looks like a tornado came through. knocked over about 50% of it and then ate it. I am now going to have to spread more turnips down where they knocked it all down. Also had it laying across the electric fence. Spent 2 hours Saturday and then an hour again on Sunday fixing it.

I hate raccoons

Yikes! Coons can do A LOT of damage to a corn plot. Stating the obvious here...but you should get after them with some "steel" this fall(trapping) or calling them or even allowing coon hunters to sweep your place a couple of times. You only have to lay off of them for a year and then there are seemingly zillions of them the next year.

Top Bottom