Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

How long you think a guy needs to wait after 2,4d in mix to spray to plant brassicas? I was going to go get some liberty but ran out of time today. I have Gly w/ ams and 2,4d "in stock". I have 10 days in my head. Is that enough?
I did 7 days last year and I had great bulbs

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

2,4-d comes in all sorts of formulations, ester & amine. Low vol 4 & low vol 6 (low volitility & lil better at not drifting quite as bad) Read the label for the rate. If u get the rate right- I agree with above- 7 days be just fine. One main reason it wouldn’t be ok is if u used a potent 2,4-d & applied too much. So- just read unique label to the type u spray. Low vol 4 or 6 is what I’d try and buy imo.

How long you think a guy needs to wait after 2,4d in mix to spray to plant brassicas? I was going to go get some liberty but ran out of time today. I have Gly w/ ams and 2,4d "in stock". I have 10 days in my head. Is that enough?
OH!!!!! Liberty has ONE main weakness for plotters!!!!!!....... do not follow it with brassicas. Brassicas are one thing that seems to have injury from recent liberty herbicide. (A few week gap is ok). That’s ONE thing to note & avoid.... do not spray liberty (glufosinate) & immediately plant brassicas. Gly & 2,4-d are better option.

OH!!!!! Liberty has ONE main weakness for plotters!!!!!!....... do not follow it with brassicas. Brassicas are one thing that seems to have injury from recent liberty herbicide. (A few week gap is ok). That’s ONE thing to note & avoid.... do not spray liberty (glufosinate) & immediately plant brassicas. Gly & 2,4-d are better option.

I'm glad I read this info, thanks for posting! I believe the guy that is spraying for me is using Liberty and I was planning on brassicas 7-10 days after he sprays.

Scenario. One of wettest years in history. Chance to plant Saturday with good rain expected after. BUT then no rain for 7-8 days. What would you do? PS. Had like 1-2” of rain this morning on that spot.

I am planting brassicas saturday. Rain coming sat night, PERFECT. A little early, but not by too much.
Burning here on Sunday hopefully. Water should help keep things from getting crazy. Looks like some good rain potential at the end of the month.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm planning on putting down fertilizer on a plot of clover I planted that burned up and is basically dirt. I have radish, purple top turnips, clover (red and white), winter wheat and rye. Planning on planting the rye and wheat end of August. As for the radish and turnips, and even the clover, am I ok to put it in tomorrow, or is that just too early? I see rain forcast for tomorrow night through Sunday at noon. That would be great, but I don't want to plant to early and screw things up.

Almanac says below ground plants July 20-21. Best turnips I ever raised was broadcast on ground with water standing. Was sprayed before the monsoon came. Only thing I could do. It was on previous clover ground so there was some nitrogen in the ground. Seed is cheap so I will try to broadcast seeds tomorrow ahead of the rain. Hope to put some urea on also couple of hours ahead of the rain. Might be under the cover of darkness. Hope I don't hit any deer.

Do you guys use the nitrogen they have for I'm guessing lawns?
Like a 28-0-3?

For N, I almost always use 46-0-0, aka Urea. You will want to either till or drag it into the soil OR apply just ahead of a good rain. If it lays on the top of the soil it will evaporate and reduce your effectiveness. You could sure use the 28-0-3, you would just have to put down almost twice as many pounds though v. the urea.

I'm planning on putting down fertilizer on a plot of clover I planted that burned up and is basically dirt. I have radish, purple top turnips, clover (red and white), winter wheat and rye. Planning on planting the rye and wheat end of August. As for the radish and turnips, and even the clover, am I ok to put it in tomorrow, or is that just too early? I see rain forcast for tomorrow night through Sunday at noon. That would be great, but I don't want to plant to early and screw things up.

IMO, as it relates to what most would consider regular brassicas, turnips and radishes, I think it is a tick early right now...but with some good rain in the forecast in the next 48 hours...it is tempting. :) But I wouldn't do it just yet. Now then, I plan on planting rutabagas tomorrow...it is good to get them in about 2-3 weeks earlier than turnips.

If you plant turnips now they could get "woody" by the end of say September and I would also say that radishes planted now will be more likely to be mushy by say mid-October. All of these things are heavily dependent though on what we get for rains and frosts, etc. But in general, I would go with rutabagas now(mid July), turnips and radishes in about 2 weeks(late July to early August) and rye/clover/oats mix, with maybe a few brassicas mixed in to, right around Labor Day.

IMO, as it relates to what most would consider regular brassicas, turnips and radishes, I think it is a tick early right now...but with some good rain in the forecast in the next 48 hours...it is tempting. :) But I wouldn't do it just yet. Now then, I plan on planting rutabagas tomorrow...it is good to get them in about 2-3 weeks earlier than turnips.

If you plant turnips now they could get "woody" by the end of say September and I would also say that radishes planted now will be more likely to be mushy by say mid-October. All of these things are heavily dependent though on what we get for rains and frosts, etc. But in general, I would go with rutabagas now(mid July), turnips and radishes in about 2 weeks(late July to early August) and rye/clover/oats mix, with maybe a few brassicas mixed in to, right around Labor Day.

So I took your advice. Put down P&K and the the Urea. Disced it into the soil. Dirt was so hard and dry it only covered maybe by an inch, but that and hopefully rain later it will be good to go. I’ll plant in a few weeks. Hit a root with my spreader and broke it. Had to finish it with a hand spreader (my daughter sat on the atv backwards).
Patience is not my thing, but I won today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I took your advice. Put down P&K and the the Urea. Disced it into the soil. Dirt was so hard and dry it only covered maybe by an inch, but that and hopefully rain later it will be good to go. I’ll plant in a few weeks. Hit a root with my spreader and broke it. Had to finish it with a hand spreader (my daughter sat on the atv backwards).
Patience is not my thing, but I won today.

Normally, I apply the urea just prior to planting, not with a few weeks in between the application of the urea and the spreading of the seed. You should be OK, but if possible, I would do those in tandem next time. You are right though, even if you just get an inch of dirt on top of the urea AND the rain then, your urea should be safe from much evaporation. In my experience, brassica seed broadcast on top of bare, or even not that bare, soil in front of a rain will germinate well.

If I were you, I would try to time a nice rain sometime in the 10 to 20 days from now time frame and just broadcast your brassicas on top of that bare, fertilized soil right in front of it.

Normally, I apply the urea just prior to planting, not with a few weeks in between the application of the urea and the spreading of the seed. You should be OK, but if possible, I would do those in tandem next time. You are right though, even if you just get an inch of dirt on top of the urea AND the rain then, your urea should be safe from much evaporation. In my experience, brassica seed broadcast on top of bare, or even not that bare, soil in front of a rain will germinate well.

If I were you, I would try to time a nice rain sometime in the 10 to 20 days from now time frame and just broadcast your brassicas on top of that bare, fertilized soil right in front of it.

Thanks Daver. Really appreciate that. I can throw down a little more urea when planting. I’ll do it when we get rain. . Excited to see things start to grow. My plot screen put on another 6 inches at least since last Sunday. That urea should help give it a nice boost.

Has anyone spent the time (or know) what the weight distribution is to get a true 50/50 mix of PP turnips and radishes based on SEED COUNT? I always just guestimate and it's fine, but I'm curious what the real distribution is. (Obviously there is a crapload more PP turnips per pound than radishes).

Curious minds want to know.

Nearly 3" of rain on my plot since planting on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad I chose the "rain or shine plant by July 29" theory!!!! Really paid off this year!!!(If you cant tell by my exclamation points, i'm excited about it)!!!!!

Nearly 3" of rain on my plot since planting on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad I chose the "rain or shine plant by July 29" theory!!!! Really paid off this year!!!(If you cant tell by my exclamation points, i'm excited about it)!!!!!
We did ours Sunday afternoon. Broadcasted directly onto the burnt field with a solo spreader. The intermittent rain has been nice. Hopefully there will be some great results in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No quite no till but pretty close. Experimenting for fun Burnt clovers with Gly & 2,4-d. Used a cultipacker with the mulcher tines. The mulcher tines did scrape up & get some exposed soil. Got a rain & coming up nicely.
126e3a62562859eb08c083a9e8a7dab3.jpg
58d04d741fb990bde1817064390bede2.jpg
2a472406ce9bf95823ca0903c007e463.jpg

Top Bottom