Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HHA adjustable site opinions or feedback??

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
There’s another that’s like $200 more- not sure the massive benefit?!? But- my buddy has this and claims he really likes it. Anyone have opinion or feedback on these?? Simple, fast, easy? Last thing I want is confusion or mistake in shot that often goes down fairly quick. What’s thoughts on these?
https://www.hhasports.com/optimizer-ultra/

I have one and have found it very accurate with a well tuned bow. But if the bow is not tuned....you maybe disappointed.
One drawback is when you set pin for 40 yrds and deer walks in to 15....while your drawn. your have to start making some adjustments in your mind.

Here’s how i think I’d use it if this refines this at all.... it would ALWAYS be set for “20 yards”. Which I traditionally call my 5 to about 25-ish pin. My bow is heavy poundage but heavy arrow but pretty flat. Keep it there and likely almost never move it. The time I’d like to move it is the rare occasion I had a deer at 30-45 yards that was: calm, maybe windy & I had my judgment he wouldn’t jump the string. & I had ample time to range & adjust. So- default is one pin- “20 yards” & only adjust further in the unique & confident settings.

I have been using one for 15 years, I had no complaints. I had it set at 25 yards then could shoot 0-35. I actually had an issue with the pin being to bright and got bored and went to a 3 pin Spott Hogg this year. Top pin is my floater and the next two are 30,40 without moving in a pinch. That being said I have yet to shoot a deer over 20 yards ever so really it's just trying something new not any issue with my Kingpin

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've used HHA for probably 15 years. Never had any issues. Had a bow fall off a rack at leagues once and bent the sight. Sent it in and they replaced it no questions asked even though it was my mistake.

I personally like a front slider to adjust yardage because I still shoot a release that clamps on and I can still adjust yardage while clamped on if needed. Single pins with the adjustment up by the scope house usually require unclamping. Although there are some really good sights built that way, probably a little better even. This model looks like you could still adjust while clamped on if needed, If you use a different style of release then that's not an issue. Just my weird philosophy.

Depending on stand location I usually set it at 25 yards ands and go from there. Never really had an issue with it and love the simplicity of one pin.

I went to it years ago and love it. Like you said when it's set at 20 or 25 it's good for most closer ranges and if one is far enough you need to dial, you will have time to dial it. And you can put a rubber band on the fibers to make it not as bright during indoor shoots and sunny days if you're getting pin glare. Then roll the band off towards dark

I have been using one for 15 years, I had no complaints. I had it set at 25 yards then could shoot 0-35. I actually had an issue with the pin being to bright and got bored and went to a 3 pin Spott Hogg this year. Top pin is my floater and the next two are 30,40 without moving in a pinch. That being said I have yet to shoot a deer over 20 yards ever so really it's just trying something new not any issue with my Kingpin

Not sure if you knew or not, but you can adjust the brightness on most of the HHA's. The scope cover rotates/moves forward and backward to expose more fiber optic for low light or cover it up for daylight shooting.

I love my HHA sight. I have the standard model and I have yardages marked with a fine tip sharpie for 20-70 yds, since my heavy arrows didn't match good with any of the premade tapes. I would have gone with the smaller diameter fiber pin if I had to do it again, I think .10 is their smaller pin size?
I practice a lot at 30 yds using my 20 yd pin and I've shot does at 28 and 27 yds by just holding high. The more expensive models also have bigger housing around the pin, that doesn't matter to me, but it gives a bigger sight picture if you close an eye.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Not sure if you knew or not, but you can adjust the brightness on most of the HHA's. The scope cover rotates/moves forward and backward to expose more fiber optic for low light or cover it up for daylight shooting.

I love my HHA sight. I have the standard model and I have yardages marked with a fine tip sharpie for 20-70 yds, since my heavy arrows didn't match good with any of the premade tapes. I would have gone with the smaller diameter fiber pin if I had to do it again, I think .10 is their smaller pin size?
I practice a lot at 30 yds using my 20 yd pin and I've shot does at 28 and 27 yds by just holding high. The more expensive models also have bigger housing around the pin, that doesn't matter to me, but it gives a bigger sight picture if you close an eye.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I did, mine all had the rheostat but they simply are just awesome fiber optics and were to starry for me. I have better control with my Hogg Father

I shoot an HHA single pin. I hunt with the sight set at 25-27 yards. This range is good out to 35. When practicing, the arrow will hit low past 30 but that simply allows for the animal's chest cavity to drop when loading their legs to bolt. Past 35 (which I rarely shoot when hunting) I feel like I will usually have an opportunity to reset the sight if needed. At real close ranges, I aim low but I would do that anyway based on shot angles. I have read many comments about how much mental thought is needed when using a single pin - between 15 and 35 yards it's my thought that it's much less complex than remembering what multi-pin to use.

Last edited:
Do any of these not work with your standard quiver mount? I have an older HHA and I think the slide doesn't allow a quicker to be used. This has kept me from using it for hunting.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I've got an HHA Tetra on my hunting bow. It allows you to get more travel out of your sight compared to cheaper OL rear slide HHA's. It suits me fine.

I'd check out CBE also. I have the new CBE on my target rig. The CBE's have metal sight tapes. Super nice and very handy if you change things. Infinite adjustments and bright. I also like how I dont need to spin dial near as much as my HHA inbetween yardages. Gears must be different.

IMO a 3 pin CBE slider is the best sight out there. 20, 30, 40 for hunting and ability to slide to 100.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have one and love it, set it at 25 when hunting and its good from 0-35ish if im in a pinch. If i know a deer is coming down a path thats going to give me a 30 plus shot i will readjust and hammer him. I killed my deer last year at 36 yards with it set on 25 and pinwheeled him, i had zero time to adjust the sight as he came sneaking in and caught me with my guard down. should have killed him at 10 yards but had my head in my phone and didnt know he was there until he walked under me.

Why??? Same exact space for the peep to circle around. Why not get all the distances in one? Never understood why someone would get a one pin. Boggles my mind.Spot hogg hunter. Will last the rest of your life.
41HrSn4oL1L.jpg

Why??? Same exact space for the peep to circle around. Why not get all the distances in one? Never understood why someone would get a one pin. Boggles my mind.Spot hogg hunter. Will last the rest of your life.View attachment 118413

Why? Well when i look thru my peep i have a clear field of view with only one pin to focus on as opposed 5-7 stacked pins that cover up majority of the target weather its a 3D or live animal. Only one thing to focus on in the heat of the moment. Ive used both and prefer the single pin just on the field of view. Thats the reason i like them but that is my opinions and cant speak for any one else.

On a multi pin site when you have an in betweener target, example a target that is in 35-36 yards which pin do you use? your 30 or 40 yard? Either one you will have to make adjustments of where you hold the pin on the target. single pin put it on 36 yards and put the pin on the 12 ring, takes the guessing out of things. I was skeptical about hunting with one but it really has been a non issue about having time to move the sight if needed. Ive used it both for whitetail and out west Elk hunting with zero issues, i put an arrow in my elk @ 25-30 yards last year and a followup arrow at 75 took less time to adjust sight than to range him.

"On a multi pin site when you have an in betweener target, example a target that is in 35-36 yards which pin do you use? your 30 or 40 yard?"

I am a little different. I have always set my pins so that my arrow will hit what is just above the pin. I don't set up so my arrow hits exactly where my pin is.

In your example above I would not use either pin I would use the dead space in between the 30 and 40.

"On a multi pin site when you have an in betweener target, example a target that is in 35-36 yards which pin do you use? your 30 or 40 yard?"

I am a little different. I have always set my pins so that my arrow will hit what is just above the pin. I don't set up so my arrow hits exactly where my pin is.

In your example above I would not use either pin I would use the dead space in between the 30 and 40.
Why? Never understood why someone would set up their sight like that. Boggles my mind.

Why? Never understood why someone would set up their sight like that. Boggles my mind.

Well Played Bigbuckhunter88.....using my words....I get it and think we could spend a night around a camp fire talking.:D I did say "I am a little different" good or bad.

Why??? In the latter 90's and early 2000's I was hunting a lot in high plains wide open country for Mule and antelope. Most of the shots were 50 and out. Stalking not sitting on a water hole. At those distances pins were covering the entire kill area and some times on Antelope covering the entire animal. Talked to some friends about it and they said try the spot above the pin. I did and I liked it. Now it is second nature for me. Even close shots now I will look at a crease or fold on an animal and put my pin just below it knowing I will hit the spot I am looking at. No going back now.;)

Well Played Bigbuckhunter88.....using my words....I get it and think we could spend a night around a camp fire talking.:D I did say "I am a little different" good or bad.

Why??? In the latter 90's and early 2000's I was hunting a lot in high plains wide open country for Mule and antelope. Most of the shots were 50 and out. Stalking not sitting on a water hole. At those distances pins were covering the entire kill area and some times on Antelope covering the entire animal. Talked to some friends about it and they said try the spot above the pin. I did and I liked it. Now it is second nature for me. Even close shots now I will look at a crease or fold on an animal and put my pin just below it knowing I will hit the spot I am looking at. No going back now.;)
Makes sense and is how I was taught pistol shooting and it is effective. The single pin has helped me get rid of confusion when I had a bout with target panic. If I switch back to multi pins for out west I may very well try that method

Top Bottom