Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alaska trip

Jmac0501

Got back from a pretty stellar trip to Alaska.
We fished a couple of days. First days water was supposed to be pretty rough where they normally fish Halibut, so captain found an out of the wind spot. Limited on Silver Salmon in just over an hour and 30 minutes.
Then went after some Halibut in a place where "there won't be many, but the ones there will be big"
It didn't disappoint.My father-in law latched into a 100+ lb fish and had a fight he won't soon forget.
we caught a couple of others as well. Second day water was calmer, but there was the 2nd biggest tide of the year, so took a bit to find them. Still had a fun couple of days.
I'm 6'3" to put the size of that fish in perspective....
IMG_20190806_142931_294.jpg
IMG_20190806_142931_299.jpg
IMG_20190806_142931_320.jpg

Incredible, congrats!

I was gonna post a pic of a King Salmon, but.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you fish out of Seward? I got back about a week ago from AK from my annual trip and we had good halibut fishing and the sockeye fishing was outstanding. The numbers in the Kenai were way up from last year.

Did you fish out of Seward? I got back about a week ago from AK from my annual trip and we had good halibut fishing and the sockeye fishing was outstanding. The numbers in the Kenai were way up from last year.
We went out of Whittier this time. I've been out of Homer before and that was a great trip as well.

I tied into a something big right after the big halibut came in. My son hooked up almost the same time as I did and the captain thought things were going to get interesting with a couple of decent sized ones on at the same time. Fortunately mine was a skate(unfortunately for my arms) and they were able to wrangle the one my son hooked up and not have to worry about mine.

We ran shrimp pots a few days out of Whittier and wasn’t a banner year, but we had some to bring home. I have relation that live in Girdwood and a cabin near Ninilchik, we always do the tractor launch at Deep Creek. Did you go with Crazy Ray? I have heard a lot of good things about his charters.

Thats awesome. We just got back a week ago. Fished homer for salmon and halibut. Did pretty well but didn't limit out on salmon. Fished Seward couple days later for salmon and didn't do well at all. Think we only caught one there. Caught a bunch of bass though. Still brought home over 100 lbs of fish. Congrats.

W Did you go with Crazy Ray? I have heard a lot of good things about his charters.
We were with Saltwater Excursions, but saw Crazy Rays as well. Our deckhand had just gotten his captain's license in the mail the first day we were out. I'm sure he will be running some trips on his own very soon.

Spent a little time in Whittier........The saying goes

"There is no day shittier than a day in Whittier."

Wow, nice very cool trip it’s on my list! Seen the Comet swag asked the kids if they knew the boys turns out oldest boy is in my daughters class.

Top Bottom