Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

No quite no till but pretty close. Experimenting for fun Burnt clovers with Gly & 2,4-d. Used a cultipacker with the mulcher tines. The mulcher tines did scrape up & get some exposed soil. Got a rain & coming up nicely.
126e3a62562859eb08c083a9e8a7dab3.jpg
58d04d741fb990bde1817064390bede2.jpg
2a472406ce9bf95823ca0903c007e463.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why did you remove the clover? was it just time? I notice it still looks like there is clover in the background of the one picture?

Why did you remove the clover? was it just time? I notice it still looks like there is clover in the background of the one picture?
By design. Leave 10-20% of my clover for deer. This clover was planted just for reason of feeding critters but burn it up so it releases all the N it produced. These brassicas had zero commercial N applied & im certain they will have all they need from clovers fixing N.

So I broadcast some purple top turnips into clover and cultipacked it in just before rain. First time. Guessing it will out grow the clover this fall. What should I expect come spring? Clover be back or will I need to frost seed more clover for spring and summer?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

So I broadcast some purple top turnips into clover and cultipacked it in just before rain. First time. Guessing it will out grow the clover this fall. What should I expect come spring? Clover be back or will I need to frost seed more clover for spring and summer?

Clover not killed.... report back. I always kill mine but maybe it’ll work. I’d say it’s not ideal but curious how it goes. Getting good seed germination & getting through clover may be challenge but should know very soon. I actually did a little section like that myself for fun this year. Just to see if any would grow. We can both report back ;). Yep- will be clover next spring & be 1st thing to green up. Brassicas are hard on new clover seed growth but sure couldn’t hurt to overseed some more next winter/spring

Here’s prevent plant for a wet bottom. 30 acres. Did a little section of late beans and did 90% of the field in brassicas. Broadcast a little treated urea on brassica area. All no till. For prevent plant where itll be corn next year- this should be perfect. Big old field that could have sat idle is now benefitting everything on so many levels. One pic has brassicas next to some short beans. 30 acres maybe took 3-4 hours with spray, spreading, drill, etc. not too bad.
787182e5455a4b868a2b309344255653.jpg
dd93ed6b00317172f7132c056c9dcd44.jpg
05e813d9a93afc3e99118800020f13ac.jpg

43de931710ebe6aa3a54c0da0bc7cbc7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah didn't have the heart to kill it. It's year 2 clover and doing much better this year than last. However in spots it is about 50% nut sedge. Broadcast the PPT July 26th and caught a decent rain. Got an inch last night. I think I see some of the PPT starting to pop in certain spots. Would sedge hammer hurt the PPT? Guessing it wouldn't hurt the clover. Trying to decide if I get after it this year yet or wait until spring. Thoughts???

Yeah didn't have the heart to kill it. It's year 2 clover and doing much better this year than last. However in spots it is about 50% nut sedge. Broadcast the PPT July 26th and caught a decent rain. Got an inch last night. I think I see some of the PPT starting to pop in certain spots. Would sedge hammer hurt the PPT? Guessing it wouldn't hurt the clover. Trying to decide if I get after it this year yet or wait until spring. Thoughts???

I suspect sedge hammer would b ok but double check. Should only kill sedge.
I actually killed the clover that had weeds in it & left the pristine stuff that was also on erodible areas so win/win.
Clovers planted to burn down later for N fixation are usually cheaper ones too or annuals.... balansa, red, crimson, berseem, alsike & few others. My permanent blends (like what u likely have above) have Same thing but several white clover blends they tend to dominate the clover plot or at least 50%+ of it.

Yeah trying my best to get permanent whites. Front house yard mainly Dutch and out back mainly jumbo ladino 2 from Welters. Fairly secluded so would rather have clover than grass.

Well, bad news.
I checked on the plot last night and probably 95% weeds. Never had this happen before. Mainly a new weed for me called water hemp.
Depressing all that work and basically a waste of time.

Well, bad news.
I checked on the plot last night and probably 95% weeds. Never had this happen before. Mainly a new weed for me called water hemp.
Smoke it & reseed it then. U have time. No question u have time.

Well, bad news.
Use a good broadleaf herb instead of or with gly. Water hemp seemed to grow taller with roundup for me

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I think water hemp is fairly resistant to round up.
Probably go with 24d
In another area I have grass growing in the brassica's. Is there anything to spray to kill the grass and not the brassica's?

I might know this someone. ;).... My buddy Cletus. Him uses a cordless drill & dun has brasscuz Dat winz Contess at State Fare ehry yeer.

Ya- u can drill with success no doubt. 1) dial in /calibrate so doesn’t come out way too heavy, etc. 2) seed depth is critical. Let’s say u get down 1/4” for example - fantastic. U would see some on top at that depth. Just make sure u don’t run an inch or two for example. 3) smoked weeds & top notch fertility of course. **”smoke weeds”.... I absolutely would add 2,4-d at labeled rate for tough weeds. Give it about 5-7 days before planting to be safe.
Most all this is common sense but worth repeating. Give it a shot.

Checked a bunch of plots today. Planted 7/27. Got 1.2" on the 28th and nothing since until today. I'd say they are in good shape! Should make for some happy hunting. :)
c91a7fcfc3720ca80c1c551c4d1092e7.jpg
1286ee3a11f45f8bb3900526f3ab4a27.jpg
631155d3472a4b2b3cbb6d8669ce4a9c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Planted 7/27...most of the areas that look sparse actually have little plants not seen in the camera. Some other areas I spread some turnip seed on Sunday. This also received another inch of rain Monday morning! Should have some beautiful brassica plots this year again! Been lucky with rain
9ec734f8a5a42e5c2ee90b9f76efad6c.jpg
f2f22165cfa812832ddd01ae2834d1a2.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom