Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Releases

Tmayer13

Hey guys I am just seeing what guys are using for releases? I am currently recovering from target panic(BAD) and went from a wrist style caliper release to a thumb style. My thumb style is just a cheapo and is not very smooth... Scheels carries a few Carter releases but there are tons of them out there. Thanks

I was planning on making the switch this summer to a back tension but time has gotten away from me. Silverback is popular and one of John Dudleys also. I feel a back tension is the way I'm leaning to combat target panic better than a thumb style.

Last edited:
I started shooting a Stan's blackout and really like it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have an old glove release made by tru flight. Hurricane. I like it but it’s old & outdated. I need to look at some newer ones. Love how the glove aids in distributing the pull force. But yes, likely time for upgrade as it’s not quite ideal on a few random things. Look forward to seeing what else guys recommend

***for u “gear guys”.... what’s the perceived benefit of those thumb releases?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Helps with target panic and "a surprise release".
Check out some videos by John Dudley
Nock on Archery. Good info

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Some people get along great with a hand held release - some do not.
All releases can be activated by back tension - even wrist straps so i hesitate to call them that.
Find a shop that has some they will let you try - preferably with a training device and not a bow to begin with.
You need to understand how they operate and where to put pressure and where not to before you use with a "real" bow
There are lots of ways to fire each type of release - maybe just switching how you do it with your current release can make you shoot better?

I have an old glove release made by tru flight. Hurricane. I like it but it’s old & outdated. I need to look at some newer ones. Love how the glove aids in distributing the pull force. But yes, likely time for upgrade as it’s not quite ideal on a few random things. Look forward to seeing what else guys recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grab the bow and grab the release and shoot. I like them for that reason locked and loaded during the whole hunt

I love my thumb release for turkey and targets. Early deer season but when it gets cold I find myself switching to my index finger release which is a spot Hogg because I use a glomitt to keep my hands warm enough. Even a muff with a thin glove for my thumb style release and my hand freezes. How do you guys keep your hands warm enough with thin gloves?

I love my thumb release for turkey and targets. Early deer season but when it gets cold I find myself switching to my index finger release which is a spot Hogg because I use a glomitt to keep my hands warm enough. Even a muff with a thin glove for my thumb style release and my hand freezes. How do you guys keep your hands warm enough with thin gloves?

I know what you mean about cold hands. Since I wear Sitka now I keep my hands in the built in hand muff but still my fingers get cold. Before that I had a hand muff that snapped around my waist and actually that kept my hands warmer than the one on the Fanatic.... might have to dig it out of the tub if temps go low

I know what you mean about cold hands. Since I wear Sitka now I keep my hands in the built in hand muff but still my fingers get cold. Before that I had a hand muff that snapped around my waist and actually that kept my hands warmer than the one on the Fanatic.... might have to dig it out of the tub if temps go low

Are you guys putting hand warmer packs in your muff? I wear a very light glove with the muff and hand warmer packs and have not had a problem.

Are you guys putting hand warmer packs in your muff? I wear a very light glove with the muff and hand warmer packs and have not had a problem.
No I don’t! I always forget to buy them :rolleyes: thanks for the reminder :D

I guess my trouble is taking hands out of a muff and grabbing my bow while watching a deer that takes 5 plus minutes to come in and by then I can't feel my hand to make a shot. Have trouble with handle hand and release hand. Both things to hold get very cold. That is why I use glomitts. Just take the trigger finger out and all good.

I have been using a Silverback for everything. While hunting when it is cold I keep it in my coat pocket with a hand warmer. Keeps the release warm. I cannot fit my fat finger through the hole with a glove on so I cut the fore finger out of the glove. If my hand gets cold it goes in the pocket with the warmer. Pretty efficient system.

I switched from a wrist strap to the Silverback and like it a lot. Have yet to take it on a hunt though.

Top Bottom