Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth bullet and powder

EatSleepHunt

First year taking the kids hunting.
We practiced with 42grains by weight of blackhorn 209. And 250 Barnes spitfire t-ez. They shot great! With a 50 Yard limit.
The 250 TEZ were left over. I have 290 TEZ s. Any opinions on the load and a 290 gr. TEZ performance to 50 Yards?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Will do just fine. We recovered a 290 TMZ pushed by 50 grains by volume of BH209 and it had mushroomed perfectly and was just under the skin on the off side after breaking a rib on each side and causing major damage inside. The shot was right around 50 yards.

Another similar load here. One fifty grain pellet behind a barnes expander was 4 for 4 for my kids out to 75 yards. Only broadside shots though.

Thanks for the replies.
Going to shoot 50 gr blackhorn and the 290 gr Barnes this weekend and see how it goes with recoil.

One more little trick. If your kid is recoil sensitive at all have him practice with about 30 grains and then put 50 in to hunt without telling him. (Of course as long as you have it sighted in for 50 grains.) I did this with my son and daughter and they NEVER feel the recoil when an animal is in front of them. Did the same thing for turkey. Skeet load for practice and them #6 pheasant load for the first bird or two. My son (11) still does not know I do this but we are up to 50 for practice and 70-80 for the hunt. ;);)

I run 60 grains with a 240 bullet for my kids. Both have had multiple pass through shots with this configuration.
My older son can handle more this year, but they are both set up on the same MZ, so I'm leaving it alone. I asked my youngest who got his first deer at 8, if he even felt the shot. He said he didn't. There is so much adrenaline pumping at that point, I think they could get scoped and not realize it. For the first couple of years, I didn't even have them pre-shoot the MZ. The practiced with a 22 and then they hunted with the MZ. No chance to be scared of the kick that way.

Thank you for all the replies.
I bumped it up to 50 grains, they are stacking them at 50 yards!
I sure do like how the CVA Accura shoots!
I am very excited to get out there with my boys. I have been forgetting about my hunting preparations because I'm so excited for them!

Thank you for all the replies.
I bumped it up to 50 grains, they are stacking them at 50 yards!
I sure do like how the CVA Accura shoots!
I am very excited to get out there with my boys. I have been forgetting about my hunting preparations because I'm so excited for them!

Hunting with your kids is the best! Enjoy these years.

Top Bottom