Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Finding the bucks

bigmac

I have been chasing deer for 40 years and have done tons of hours of preseason scouting. This year I picked up my first trail cam and for the last week I have been placing it on trails that show traffic. I am getting pics of does every time I check the camera, but no bucks have showed up on camera yet. I know they are there. I hunt and live on the same land and I am sure that I am the only human entering the area. I must be doing something wrong. I welcome any input from the folks on this forum. Thanks

Good source, green Beans if you have them and do a little evening scout over them to see where tether are coming out. I try not to be too intrusive with my cams until later in the year.

Scrapes will be great here in a few weeks

Kratz

The last five years or so I’ve had success setting cameras up on scrapes- made by me or the deer. Then I pee on the scrape and spit on the licking branch. You’d be surprised how well it works.

I have been chasing deer for 40 years and have done tons of hours of preseason scouting. This year I picked up my first trail cam and for the last week I have been placing it on trails that show traffic. I am getting pics of does every time I check the camera, but no bucks have showed up on camera yet. I know they are there. I hunt and live on the same land and I am sure that I am the only human entering the area. I must be doing something wrong. I welcome any input from the folks on this forum. Thanks

Thanks to those who replied to my first thread
My dad taught me how to be a meat hunter. Over the years I have scored a few decent bucks.
Last year I decided that I would only take a mature buck. I passed up 9 bucks. I was out smarted by 2 different monsters. I felt privileged just to see them. It did not take long to figure out that I had entered a whole new ball game

You sound like you are entering the camera game too. It is super fun but you need to build a lot of self control to not check them too often.

Best advice is to let the camera soak for a few weeks before you check them and then once they are hard horned only check them when it is convenient to do so...like heading out to the stand, running chores on the farm, etc etc. The big bucks are very sensitive to pressure, especially once they go hard horned. Keep the cameras on edges and do not get invasive to the woods.

To me there is two places for cameras, mineral holes come about July and then about mid September scrapes till the orange army hits. I suppose you could count late season food plots if you have those but I dont. Scrapes and mineral are king for pictures for me.

Top Bottom