Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rye,OATS,,Wheat for sure

loneranger

Well my rye oats wheat are up and growing! Trouble now is, with the continued Summer weather it is getting pretty tall. Usually the time frame to plant is mid Sept. Now seems this is too early. My deer pop is never high. Deer are ignoring the plot so no deer keeping the growth in check. Believe it or not I May have to whip it back. Strange I know.

yep drought I think is over . 3 inches past wk end. 4 and a half for Sept. It is this endless Summer that seems to hang on every Sept. Last year similar.
Warm humid right into Oct. Nov got cold tho last year. I know there are areas where the deer chomp down everything in sight. Not that many here pop wise. In a way that is good so plots stand until it gets cold and crops are gone. I am surrounded by very late corn though so bet the deer will be in it late. May ignore me through Nov? At any rate may have to whip rye to keep it young. Strange.

I think a lot of people are in the same boat.
Will cutting back the rye, oats, peas and radishes kill or stunt any growth? Thinking it will the wheat, peas and radishes? Maybe just leave it alone?

well the shortening daylight does seem to be slowing it down some what. Unless my rye gets way tall think I'll leave it. It has got to cool down some time. Think a week from today around 60,,40s at night that should help?

Since planting my rye/oats/peas combo I haven't been back to my place, but I suspect things should be growing well with the rains we have been receiving. I too am a little curious to see if the rye is getting too tall, too fast. I know the deer will be on those peas, but I have seen them go for only the tender pea plants and eschew the rye/oats as long as there were fresh peas up. We'll see.

I sure would like to get a couple of the "September rains" back in July though. :)

I’m planning on scattering rye over my beans next week as they are beginning to yellow a bit. I’m in southeast Iowa. Any suggestions how much, etc? Thanks!

I’m planning on scattering rye over my beans next week as they are beginning to yellow a bit. I’m in southeast Iowa. Any suggestions how much, etc? Thanks!

I would probably go with a bushel bag per acre, 56#. But that is not an official answer, just what I would do. Also, if possible, I would do it this weekend, in front of the predicted rain.

Any of you guys that planted brassicas 7/29 rain or shine seeing them get too mature or going to seed yet? Mine were planted mid August and they are tall!

Last edited:
We’ve had experience planting late July to mid-August. We were spoiled with some knee deep greens and many large turnips. I think you’ll enjoy watching the feast going on in December! Good luck!

Top Bottom